ADVERTISEMENT

Time for a lineup change

MAYHOO22

Gold Member
Dec 17, 2018
Time to try something different. Give a pitcher or two that hasn't pitched much a chance. Bring Smith into the weekend rotation. Give a position player a chance that hasn't played much. Is Minge smart enough to try something for a spark? We need to see.

Kentucky only has 3 players hitting over .300 in SEC play and one of those only has 3 ABs:

Gray .360
Pitre .329
Herrera .333 (only 3 ABs)
Gilliam .295
Waldschmidt .267
Felker .267
Stanke .263
McCarthy .258
Church .222
Smith .220
Burkes .208
McCoy .111
Ewell .071

Kentucky only has 3 players hitting over .300 in SEC play and one of those only has 3 ABs:

Gray .360
Pitre .329
Herrera .333 (only 3 ABs)
Gilliam .295
Waldschmidt .267
Felker .267
Stanke .263
McCarthy .258
Church .222
Smith .220
Burkes .208
McCoy .111
Ewell .071
Not exactly great numbers. As I’ve said, we just don’t have the players to compete against the top tier SEC teams. We have and will be playing the top teams in the SEC and the country. If you don’t have the kids to compete, you get the slide we are on. We’re not hitting for average or power. That’s not a winning recipe.

Still blows my mind that Burkes has been behind the dish for almost every single inning in SEC play.

I had actually intended to write a post on this today and got busy at work and didn't get a chance. I have been off and on the train about Ming last year and this year. After being enfuriated going to the Elon series and seeing so much bunting (especially from our cleanup hitter) I had gotten to the point where I was kind of ok with the style of play and it had been working, so who I am I to say anything.

But, recently I have been contemplating his philosophy on playing a catcher until he can't play anymore. He did the same thing to Rubalcaba last year, which is why Burkes finally started playing around this time last year, and then essentially took over the starting role entirely by SEC tourney time. Rubalcaba had been a good catcher and a decently clutch hitter, until he was used in every inning of every game and probably could barely stand up anymore.

I think this year it has had an even more significant impact on the team. I love Burkes and think Burkes is the catalyst for this team. I was screaming last year wondering why he wasnt catching more. I liked his pitch framing and his energy behind the plate, and it felt like the pitchers pitched well when he was back there.

He came in with a ton of energy last year and kind of singlehandedly changed the attitude and atmosphere in the clubhouse at the end of the season and the team went on a tear at the end of the season last year. He started off the year doing it this year and things were great. But, now, they've broken him down so much he has become a shadow of himself. He doesn't have the same energy he has had, and the team has gotten into a funk, and their energy leader is worn down and doesnt have any energy to help bring them out of it.

His performance behind the plate has suffered a lot. There have been a TON of passed balls and "wild pitches" that should have been caught, which have directly affected the games. There were pitches that were called strikes (not swinging strikes - they were in the zone) this weekend that Burkes let get past him. I think his pitch framing has suffered as well because he is exhausted. There have been a lot of pitches over the last few weeks that I really thought should have been called strikes and I am starting to wonder if the ump felt like Burkes was moving them too much, or he was too slow to frame them, so the ump caught on and didnt give us the call. I am sure the passed balls are also indirectly affecting the pitchers confidence in what pitches they can throw and how because they don't have the confidence in him being able to block them anymore - could this be one of the reasons our pitching hasn't been as good recently? As soon as a pitcher starts to doubt being able to throw a pitch, or tries to throw it too perfectly, that is trouble for sure.

I can just see how the terrible management of Burkes playing time has directly affected outcomes and results more than just him being tired and not hitting as well. There are so many other side affects that have trickled down, and it just completely blows my mind that the coaches don't see it. I watched Stanke catch a couple of times early in the season and he seems serviceable behind the plate. I actually thought he looked better than Burkes defensively sometimes. He has a rocket for an arm throwing down to 2nd. I'm not sure how his pitch receiving is, but he transferred in from a Big 10 school as a decently rated transfer. His bat didn't take off at the beginning of the year - fine - but I just don't understand the days that we play him at DH and have Burkes catching. What in the world?? If his bat is good enough to be in the lineup at DH, GIVE BURKES A BREAK AND LET HIM DH AND HAVE STANKE CATCH!!! It is just mind boggling, and I think this, more than any other decision the coaches have made have lead us to where we are right now.

I think a rested Burkes with energy would be hitting better, receiving pitches better, and bringing more energy to the game - which in turn would lead our pitchers to have more energy and confidence and be pitching better.

To put it in perspective I did a little research and am just getting more frustrated - To start the year for the first 2 weeks of the season, Burkes was catching Fri and Sunday and Stanke caught Saturday and the midweek. Stanke also caught the Saturday game vs Indy State. Since then, Burkes has CAUGHT 32 OF 33 GAMES! After Saturday at Indy state, he caught the next 18 in a row, then Stanke caught the midweek vs Dayton, and then Burkes has caught the next 14. During that stretch of the last 14 games, there have been 2 double headers that he caught both games. Against A&M he caught a double header (two 9 inning games) and then came back at 1pm the next day to catch the next game. Stanke DH'd ONE OF THE GAMES OF THE DOUBLEHEADER, but Burkes still caught them both. What in the world?!?! During the last stretch of 14 games in a row the Burkes has caught, Stanke DH'd 4 times.

Someone tell me if I am off, but it just makes no sense. Its almost like they are trying to play Burkes out of productivity.

I had actually intended to write a post on this today and got busy at work and didn't get a chance. I have been off and on the train about Ming last year and this year. After being enfuriated going to the Elon series and seeing so much bunting (especially from our cleanup hitter) I had gotten to the point where I was kind of ok with the style of play and it had been working, so who I am I to say anything.

But, recently I have been contemplating his philosophy on playing a catcher until he can't play anymore. He did the same thing to Rubalcaba last year, which is why Burkes finally started playing around this time last year, and then essentially took over the starting role entirely by SEC tourney time. Rubalcaba had been a good catcher and a decently clutch hitter, until he was used in every inning of every game and probably could barely stand up anymore.

I think this year it has had an even more significant impact on the team. I love Burkes and think Burkes is the catalyst for this team. I was screaming last year wondering why he wasnt catching more. I liked his pitch framing and his energy behind the plate, and it felt like the pitchers pitched well when he was back there.

He came in with a ton of energy last year and kind of singlehandedly changed the attitude and atmosphere in the clubhouse at the end of the season and the team went on a tear at the end of the season last year. He started off the year doing it this year and things were great. But, now, they've broken him down so much he has become a shadow of himself. He doesn't have the same energy he has had, and the team has gotten into a funk, and their energy leader is worn down and doesnt have any energy to help bring them out of it.

His performance behind the plate has suffered a lot. There have been a TON of passed balls and "wild pitches" that should have been caught, which have directly affected the games. There were pitches that were called strikes (not swinging strikes - they were in the zone) this weekend that Burkes let get past him. I think his pitch framing has suffered as well because he is exhausted. There have been a lot of pitches over the last few weeks that I really thought should have been called strikes and I am starting to wonder if the ump felt like Burkes was moving them too much, or he was too slow to frame them, so the ump caught on and didnt give us the call. I am sure the passed balls are also indirectly affecting the pitchers confidence in what pitches they can throw and how because they don't have the confidence in him being able to block them anymore - could this be one of the reasons our pitching hasn't been as good recently? As soon as a pitcher starts to doubt being able to throw a pitch, or tries to throw it too perfectly, that is trouble for sure.

I can just see how the terrible management of Burkes playing time has directly affected outcomes and results more than just him being tired and not hitting as well. There are so many other side affects that have trickled down, and it just completely blows my mind that the coaches don't see it. I watched Stanke catch a couple of times early in the season and he seems serviceable behind the plate. I actually thought he looked better than Burkes defensively sometimes. He has a rocket for an arm throwing down to 2nd. I'm not sure how his pitch receiving is, but he transferred in from a Big 10 school as a decently rated transfer. His bat didn't take off at the beginning of the year - fine - but I just don't understand the days that we play him at DH and have Burkes catching. What in the world?? If his bat is good enough to be in the lineup at DH, GIVE BURKES A BREAK AND LET HIM DH AND HAVE STANKE CATCH!!! It is just mind boggling, and I think this, more than any other decision the coaches have made have lead us to where we are right now.

I think a rested Burkes with energy would be hitting better, receiving pitches better, and bringing more energy to the game - which in turn would lead our pitchers to have more energy and confidence and be pitching better.

To put it in perspective I did a little research and am just getting more frustrated - To start the year for the first 2 weeks of the season, Burkes was catching Fri and Sunday and Stanke caught Saturday and the midweek. Stanke also caught the Saturday game vs Indy State. Since then, Burkes has CAUGHT 32 OF 33 GAMES! After Saturday at Indy state, he caught the next 18 in a row, then Stanke caught the midweek vs Dayton, and then Burkes has caught the next 14. During that stretch of the last 14 games, there have been 2 double headers that he caught both games. Against A&M he caught a double header (two 9 inning games) and then came back at 1pm the next day to catch the next game. Stanke DH'd ONE OF THE GAMES OF THE DOUBLEHEADER, but Burkes still caught them both. What in the world?!?! During the last stretch of 14 games in a row the Burkes has caught, Stanke DH'd 4 times.

Someone tell me if I am off, but it just makes no sense. Its almost like they are trying to play Burkes out of productivity.

I think you absolutely nailed it. Burkes is a shade of himself. We could have set it up like some do in the majors where a certain pitcher works with one catcher. Say Lee. Just have Stanke always work with him. Build a repoirt and get comfortable. Then each Sunday Burkes gets a break. This is a simple way to keep him fresh.

Why we're not doing something similar is mindblowing. Especially after watching Rubalcaba wear down a year ago, and knowing how important Burkes is for the team.

Reactions: MAYHOO22
Yep, the year started like that with Bosma and Stanke for the first few. But then for some reason it stopped. I don't even care if it's building rapport with 1 pitcher. I'm fine seeing the weekend rotation and playing stanke against the righty, whichever night that is. Just have some sort of solution other than catching him 32 of 33. Just insanity.

Reactions: Comebakatz3
It couldn't be any worse than the past 3 Fridays.........right??
True. Will be interesting to see how he does. He seemed to thrive in the Louisville game with the large crowd and big game environment

If he can handle it, it could be huge for us to get back on the schedule...Smith and then Williams on Friday, Bosma then Strickland, Lee then Moore, and piece in around them. As some of you know I live in Columbia, and have been watching the Gamecocks all year. They are a bunch if mashers, but we are catching them at a time when everyone is hurt, so we'll be facing some back-ups in some spots, but they still hit.

Reactions: SeanCain
It couldn't be any worse than the past 3 Fridays.........right??

My issue is more about putting a kid in a position to be successful. Throwing him on a Friday against a top 5 team in his first time facing SEC opponents is typically not the best recipe for success. He could certainly prove me wrong, but I'd much rather see an ease in. USC has scored 13+ runs in 3 of the last 4 Fridays.

My issue is more about putting a kid in a position to be successful. Throwing him on a Friday against a top 5 team in his first time facing SEC opponents is typically not the best recipe for success. He could certainly prove me wrong, but I'd much rather see an ease in. USC has scored 13+ runs in 3 of the last 4 Fridays.
Yeah, I actually think that it could be the best decision. Try to catch lightning in a bottle and if we do, it sets us up well for the weekend. SC has guys injured and the longer the weekend goes the more likely it is that some of them are back, so maybe they want to get him in there against as many backups as they can. Or maybe it is just that this is the needed change that causes the least disruption across the staff, so they feel like is a good time to go with it. I feel like since he threw well vs Lousiville, he has kind of shown that he can handle the envinronment vs a good team. If he succeeds, it will be incredible for his confidence. If he doesn't, well, he was a RS-F going against a top 5 team, he wasn't supposed to succeed, so he doesn't even need to worry about it.

If we want to have talented kids who are SEC level talent, (like SeanCain is always saying we don't) then this is how it happens. Put them in position early to sink or swim and hope they swim, and if they dont, they know what they need to build on. I was hesitant about how I felt after i heard Smith was starting, but now I think I have talked myself into being all for it. If it doesnt work well, i'm sure Williams will be there waiting, just like he usually is on a Friday night.

Yeah, I actually think that it could be the best decision. Try to catch lightning in a bottle and if we do, it sets us up well for the weekend. SC has guys injured and the longer the weekend goes the more likely it is that some of them are back, so maybe they want to get him in there against as many backups as they can. Or maybe it is just that this is the needed change that causes the least disruption across the staff, so they feel like is a good time to go with it. I feel like since he threw well vs Lousiville, he has kind of shown that he can handle the envinronment vs a good team. If he succeeds, it will be incredible for his confidence. If he doesn't, well, he was a RS-F going against a top 5 team, he wasn't supposed to succeed, so he doesn't even need to worry about it.

If we want to have talented kids who are SEC level talent, (like SeanCain is always saying we don't) then this is how it happens. Put them in position early to sink or swim and hope they swim, and if they dont, they know what they need to build on. I was hesitant about how I felt after i heard Smith was starting, but now I think I have talked myself into being all for it. If it doesnt work well, i'm sure Williams will be there waiting, just like he usually is on a Friday night.

As you said, this is sink or swim. He swims then great. He sinks, then we could be in trouble on the weekend even more and we have a RS freshman with a rattled confidence when we need him most. That's the issue. Mitigate risk of failure for him, and I don't think this does that.

As you said, this is sink or swim. He swims then great. He sinks, then we could be in trouble on the weekend even more and we have a RS freshman with a rattled confidence when we need him most. That's the issue. Mitigate risk of failure for him, and I don't think this does that.
What is the other option? Just keeping running the guys out there that we have been running out there? Throw someone else in there that hasn't started yet, which also messes up the bullpen rotation? Throw Smith out of the pen? I would argue that could mess him up worse than starting him. I think you roll the dice and let the horses run. You bring the players in to play, and you've got to put them in uncomfortable situations at some point. The right players will rise to the occasion.

Reactions: parrott
What is the other option? Just keeping running the guys out there that we have been running out there? Throw someone else in there that hasn't started yet, which also messes up the bullpen rotation? Throw Smith out of the pen? I would argue that could mess him up worse than starting him. I think you roll the dice and let the horses run. You bring the players in to play, and you've got to put them in uncomfortable situations at some point. The right players will rise to the occasion.

I guess for me this comes down to being one of the highest risk situations that we could put Smith into. We send him in on Friday night and he gets hit hard and gives up a ton of runs to a team that is top 10 in the country in runs scored and we have to take him out early. We might have to throw more arms than hoped on Friday and we put a greater strain on our whole bullpen/staff because of this. On top of that, this might hurt his confidence going forward and he becomes less reliable to pitch on weekends or in the post season. The only spot, I think, that could be higher risk and worse for him/us as a team is if you sent him in as a stopper in a high pressure situation to face SEC hitters for the first time in essentially a win/lose situation.

I think there are certainly other options, but there are going to be pro/cons with those no matter how you shake it. Moore could be an option as could Hagenow. Both of those guys have pitched well out of the bullpen and have experience against SEC hitters. We could just bump Williams up to starting, as he's done at times and he's done well at times, and then have Hagenow/Moore relieve. We could then conceivably even have Smith start tomorrow and Bosma come out of the bullpen. Bosma has been a bit inconsistent and struggled at times, and in SEC play he's pitched 4 innings or less in 4 of the 7 SEC weekends, and only once has he gone past the 5th. This doesn't mess with the days a guy is pitching and keeps Smith from starting the highly important first game of a series. You also then might kind of hit the reset button on Bosma and see if you can get him refocused and back to pitching at a higher level.

All in all, we're in a tough spot regardless because we've not been able to establish a true Friday night starter and even behind him we've not gotten enough consistent pitching from Bosma and Lee to be confident that we can shake them up and move them to Friday and know that they will succeed there. So, we're rolling the dice on this. Maybe it works, but I think it also carries a high risk and is a tough situation to ask a freshman to go into. Seems like a high risk/high reward situation that I'm just not a fan of.

I will also say that this might be contingent on what happens moving forward. What is the plan? Is it to try to make Smith our Friday night guy moving forward? We going to ship him out on Day 1 against Tennessee and Florida? Does it matter how he does tonight? He going to pitch through some growing pains or are they just doing this as an experiment? Do we plan on bringing back Martin to start Fridays or are we shutting him down? He didn't pitch at all last weekend so, is he done for the year? If he comes back to start then does that move Smith to the bullpen? Do we plan to use him in the bullpen or keep him as a starter that we might use in the SEC tournament if we go far enough, or in the NCAA tournament if needed? We threw Hise to the LSU wolves in his first SEC start at UK and it didn't go too well and that ended that immediately and they didn't throw him at all against Vandy. So, we will see how the whole thing plays out, but it seems to me that we could handle this better.

Yep, all great points. I also agree and was thinking they may want to stretch out Moore and trying him starting. However, I think risks come with that too. If you try him at Starting and it doesnt go well, then you've messed up Friday and all the same issues you have with the bullpen for the weekend, etc, and you have one less proven reliever now because you used Moore, so then you need Smith to come out of the pen, when he hasn't done it yet. So, you're putting 2 people into uncomfortable situations they arent used to instead of just 1 with Smith. And, he has already started and is used to that, it is just a different environment. I may feel differently if it was on the road, but he is at home in a friendly environment against a beat up SC team. It is the SEC... there isn't going to be a whole lot of low leverage situations to break Smith into, especially with where we are with our season. I still think I like it better than other situations we could go with. Williams has been statistically the worst of our starters in SEC play, so it makes sense to have it be his night that we try someone new, but we can have him ready to go at the first sign of trouble with Smith, and we haven't lost anything, but have gained a couple/few innings that may help later in the series with the bullpen. I would rather get a couple or a few innings out of him with clean bases and without as much pressure of win or losing with a single pitch, rather than bringing him out of the pen in high leverage. So, I still think it is the way to go. This might just be the hope I have coming through though.... I hope that he goes out there and completely shoves tonight and we are all talking later about what a great decision it was to throw him on Friday and eat some innings and set us up well for the rest of the weekend!

The one that jumps off the page is Burkes. He has got to get going.
I love Burke, but he seems to be in a funky even behind the plate. I know four or five times in the last several several games I've seen him have passed balls because he just didn't have his glove in position to catch the ball. Don't think he's got a brake all season has he?

You must have missed my post about that. He has caught 32 of the last 33 games. Scroll up farther in this thread and you'll see a long post from me talking about it

Great win by the Cats when they really are on the verge of a total collapse. Now let’s win the next one and see where we are at. Plus I despise South Carolina so any win against those jacklegs makes for a good night.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT