Sheppard
Reeves
Edwards
Bradshaw

Thiero
Dillingham
Mitchell
Ugonna

We better be preseason AP #1 or the media aint paying attention!

Reactions: bluefaithful
I think many of you undervalue Onyenso, and over value Bradshaw. He’s just too weak I’m afraid. Not that Onyenso is a beast, he’s not, but he will have had a year to add some muscle.

But it’s looking clear that we will play 9 guys. That Sheppard and Theiro must play, and that Burks won’t be ready.

He might not. But he should. Reed is one of the best players on the team.

Classic rafters overreaction after one good performance n an exhibition game. Let's see how he does against Kansas and some higher ranked teams first.

Same goes for the other players as well.

As others said, doesn't matter who starts anyways as much as who finishes. Calipari has a good problem at the guard position though with 4 potentially very good guards so how he manages minutes will be interesting. I suspect we go 3 guards at times to get everyone more minutes.

I think many of you undervalue Onyenso, and over value Bradshaw. He’s just too weak I’m afraid. Not that Onyenso is a beast, he’s not, but he will have had a year to add some muscle.

But it’s looking clear that we will play 9 guys. That Sheppard and Theiro must play, and that Burks won’t be ready.
You are going to be right about Onyenso and Bradshaw. Onyenso is what he is, an impact rim protector who will get OJT as an interior scorer. The more Onyenso plays, the better he will be. Bradshaw thinks he is a 4, which tells me he is nowhere near doing what Cal will require him to do. Bradshaw is missing the summer preps, so he will struggle almost for sure. Right now, Shepard and Thiero are both among the 6 best players on the team.

Onyenso could very easily end up starting at the 5. I think that is the biggest question mark for the season.

I think regardless, we are going to see both Bradshaw and Onyenso play major minutes regardless of who starts mainly because we really only have them and Mitchell as true Forwards.

Classic rafters overreaction after one good performance n an exhibition game. Let's see how he does against Kansas and some higher ranked teams first.

Same goes for the other players as well.

As others said, doesn't matter who starts anyways as much as who finishes. Calipari has a good problem at the guard position though with 4 potentially very good guards so how he manages minutes will be interesting. I suspect we go 3 guards at times to get everyone more minutes.
You are very presumptuous and full of yourself. Speaking for myself, I have watched Sheppard a lot. All star games, high school games, and last night. Far more than you are presumptuously guessing. Sheppard is a versatile, well rounded player who scores from midrange and the perimeter. The kid sees the whole floor and moves like a veteran. The key for Sheppard will be how well he holds up defensively, but he is already a far better defender that he gets credit for.

Last edited:
It will be Wagner, reeves, Edwards, mitchell and bradshaw. Shepard theiro, ugo, dilly will be the main bench. With burks and hart getting spot mins

Theiro, Mitchell and Rob will have a say in it. There’s so many lineup possibilities with this bunch.
I don’t care who starts, just need a strong 5 to finish the games. Wagner, Shepherd, Mitchell, Edwards and whoever can make free throws.
I think the starting five will fluctuate during the year, but ultimately ends up being:

Wagner
Reeves
Edwards
Mitchell
Bradshaw

Dillingham, Sheppard, Thiero, and Onyenso off the bench.
If we really are 9 deep it will be interesting to see who Cal goes too. Personally I think Cal is going to play whoever gives us the best chance of winning. By now Cal has to be tired of the "you only care about getting guys drafted". He knows 2 rings look better than one and people talk.

If we really are 9 deep it will be interesting to see who Cal goes too. Personally I think Cal is going to play whoever gives us the best chance of winning. By now Cal has to be tired of the "you only care about getting guys drafted". He knows 2 rings look better than one and people talk.

We have a strong 9 man rotation and possibly 10 if Burks or Hart can find a way to contribute even a little. First time in a long time that we are 2-3 deep at every position, considering a few guys can play multiple positions.

Onyenso could very easily end up starting at the 5. I think that is the biggest question mark for the season.

I think regardless, we are going to see both Bradshaw and Onyenso play major minutes regardless of who starts mainly because we really only have them and Mitchell as true Forwards.
Ive noticed burks listed as a guard many places.... is he not a forward? @ 6'9"?

Sheppard won't start
I can see you have no idea about this young man. He has more court awareness than anyone else on this team. He anticipates well on defense and his assist rate will be near the top. Better than his dad and his dad was the MVP of the final four and a two time NCAA champion. You may ought to forget about the media and look for yourself. He will be hard to keep off the floor imo.

We will see the Rock fight lineup soon enough! Cal will figure a way to get three guys on the floor that can’t score!

We won't be top 10. There is going to be (a warranted) wait and see about this team after the last few years. I think this team has the pieces to be very good, but let's not overreact.

We won’t know anything until Ugo and Bradshaw enter the mix. I think 3 starters we can count on are Wagner, Reeves and Mitchell. The good news is that the team looks to have enough versatility that we could play different ways with a number of different combos.

I feel excited about the season for the first time in a while.

I just hope Cal doesn’t get in the way. He seems to have relinquished some offensive control to Welch, which is good.

I think one thing this Canadian trip is gonna show Cal is that he can’t play the two 7 footers together which is a huge relief. It prob means UGO is gonna get the short end on minutes

We won't be top 10. There is going to be (a warranted) wait and see about this team after the last few years. I think this team has the pieces to be very good, but let's not overreact.
Case in point; Matt Norlander just said he's still not sure if he has Kentucky in the Top 25.

Reeves will play his way to the bench.

No way he starts over Dillingham, Wagner or Sheppard as the season progresses.
I agree. If the first 2 games are any indication, he probably will not play the rest of the trip. He has been horrible. Can't hit the broad side of a barn. 2022 SEC 6th man of the year my ass !!

LOL, Obviously you are one of the Reeves haters.

I think you can lock in Bradshaw, Reeves, Mitchell and Wagner as starters. The other spot between Reed, Adou, Edwards and Dillingham is where it gets interesting.

Case in point; Matt Norlander just said he's still not sure if he has Kentucky in the Top 25.
That’s so funny, if it was 2010 through 2018 this team would be preseason 1 for sure. I agree Cal has lost credibility the last 3 years but this team is really good.

Reactions: chroix and -BBH-
Reeves will play his way to the bench.

No way he starts over Dillingham, Wagner or Sheppard as the season progresses.
I don't think any of us have seen them enough to make any kind of definitive conclusion just yet. Regarding Reeves, I think he's just too valuable a scorer to keep on the bench for long. I will agree with you on one thing, though- he struggled under the highest pressure at times last season, but he seemed to come out of that as the season progressed.

The only way you can afford to bench Reeves is if more than one of these freshmen totally goes into beast mode. Even if one goes off, you still have Reeves in there as another scoring option.

Final word: I like what we've seen so far from this group. These options are good to have.

Reactions: University-6
Bradshaw will eventually start. Dude is a consensus top 5 recruit.
Bradshaw is missing the Toronto trip and most of the summer conditioning. You used the word eventually, so maybe you will be right before 2024 rolls in. Or not. We do not even know when he will practice again. I know Bradshaw is a premium player. We all do. But under these circumstances, with the foot surgery and the delusion about being a 4, I want him to show me something before I form an informed opinion about how soon he will compete with Mitchell and Onyenso for important minutes. Too many variables.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT