ADVERTISEMENT

This was posted by one of the most respected posters on Dukes board . Thoughts ?

A vocal segment of college fans in the southeast want to silence the players voices. Stop acting like it's something about the flag, military or anything else (kneeling does nothing to denigrate any of that). The southeast has always been slow to adopt certain changes in this country and this is no different.

Bull$hit post, and I'm a veteran. There are other ways to protest, besides disrespecting our National Anthem. Cal has no BALLS. If he had, he would explained to these young men, that is not the way to protest. Probably most of them do not know who started BLM, or anything about BLM. If they really care about Black Americans, as most of us do, then stop the carnage in the cities, such as Chicago, St. Louis, and other cities. To many young Black Men are dying for NO reason. Kids 12 to 16 years old. I don't hear the NBA players talk about stopping the killing of young Blacks. WHY! I also don't hear anything from the CROOKS in Congress. It truly is a disgrace, what is happening in the cities

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

The problem is, Lebrons kid isn't anything special, and the relationship between K and Lebron was strictly K using the greatest player in the last 20 years to help build his program.

And how close is Lebron and K, really? I can't see woke Lebron James sending his son to an over-the-hill white old guy, when there's plenty of younger coaches at hotter programs.

Based on what we know about K's character, I dont see him giving a shit about Lebron's kid when he's not a top recruit.
Please tell me you dont think Zion is better than AD........or are you talking about somebody else?

Reactions: willievic
By “their” numbers, wouldn’t surprise me if this was “their” total. Truly unbelievable what some people will buy into. Again, “their” numbers are complete and utter horse shit! Period.
Guess we're all actually dead. I had no clue. I see dead people all around me.

EDIT: Good news is, we can still vote. ...but still pay taxes too.

A vocal segment of college fans in the southeast want to silence the players voices. Stop acting like it's something about the flag, military or anything else (kneeling does nothing to denigrate any of that). The southeast has always been slow to adopt certain changes in this country and this is no different.
cool crticial race theory bro

You must live a sad, miserable life when your whole thought process is about perceived racism. So now, you are berating a 1/4 of the country. Pitiful, plum, pitiful.

I can agree with some of the reactions and disagree with others. The parallels folks are drawing to Calipari are thin in my opinion. Cal was wanting to play ball this season all along. He was willing to do whatever needed to be done to make that happen. The only parallel could be the political stuff and that's because the UK team decided to take a knee during the anthem and Cal didn't refuse it. I hated that, by the way. I don't see taking a knee as serving any purpose other than disrespecting the flag, the country, and servicemen and women. I got zero use for it.

Now, as for Coach K, the poster is right about his attitude toward this season. He was the ring leader of the politically correct crowd this season. He assumed everyone would follow his lead. He was wrong on that, and I'm glad. Part of me wishes this season never happened, because of the crap fest it became for UK, but I still think it was the right move. Yes, Covid-19 is serious and yes players and teams missed games over it, but no players died from it and the season has been a success.

Back to K- his heart definitely wasn't in this season. I don't know how that affected his coaching. I think some of the same issues he was facing are similar to what Calipari was facing with this team. He had a bunch of new, inexperienced players who missed off-season workouts and were going to be behind the normal progression for that program. And it hasn't turned out well. Which came first? His attitude or the poor play? Was he really worried about Covid-19 or was he afraid his team wouldn't be very good? And what about their best player leaving? Is that a sign of team turmoil, bad coaching and relationships, or just a kid with a bad attitude? Or maybe some combination of the 3?

One thing is sure, I don't feel bad for Coach K. That guy has been the "god" of college basketball for years and throws his weight around as much as possible. I'm glad the ACC and college basketball refused to follow his lead.
Yeah the part that the Duke poster got wrong was that K's attitude to the season DID have something to do with his lack of enthusiasm for the team he'd put on the floor this year. Whereas Cal thought he had the all the horses and was excited to get going.

I think K is getting worn down, but that has been escalated by him jumping into the one and done pool which I think he personally detested having to do. Think the Jalen Johnson thing is a sign of that fatigue on his part. So add that to the fact that he didnt feel real good about his roster this year and its not surprising at all he was trying to deep six the season.

Cal did the exact same thing. The real reason for our struggles slipped out in a comment weeks ago. Cal wondered if he'd been too careful by forcing these kids into isolation the entire time.

Then cal said he has to start having team gatherings, etc, so they can get to know and trust one another.

Immediately improved. But too little too late.
You may be right about the lack of players knowing and trusting each other. But here's my question: how do you blame Calipari when his hands were tied in so many ways?

There is no question, the established teams with the most returning experience this season have thrived, even more so than other years. Teams with young talent and new players have struggled. That always seems to happen in early season games but usually by March the younger teams have caught up. This season, the catch up hasn't happened.

You may be right about the lack of players knowing and trusting each other. But here's my question: how do you blame Calipari when his hands were tied in so many ways?

There is no question, the established teams with the most returning experience this season have thrived, even more so than other years. Teams with young talent and new players have struggled. That always seems to happen in early season games but usually by March the younger teams have caught up. This season, the catch up hasn't happened.
Cal missed on his biggest recrutis this year

Ashton Hagans
Quickley
Richards
Montgomery

Reactions: kyjeff1
Please tell me you dont think Zion is better than AD........or are you talking about somebody else?

Neither, I was referencing Lebron. K stayed on as an Olympic coach (still think this shouldn't be allowed), made buddies with Lebron and basically had Lebron say all these nice things about him to help his recruiting.. not that coaching the olympic teams full of NBA stars to gold medals didn't hurt.

Lebron never needed K for a thing.. but Coach K certainly utilized Lebron when he was getting his ass kicked by John Calipari on the recruiting trail.

But what's Bronny going to do for Coach K? He's still 2 years out, barely top25 in ranking. I don't think Lebron is just going to hand Bronny over to K, especially with their program looking like crap at the moment. And even if he did, meh. you could make the argument that a recruit like Bronny will be overhyped and bring along baggage and scrutiny.. personally? No thanks.

I guess what I'm trying to say.. I'm not worried about K and Lebron's relationship at all when it comes to Lebron's kid.. who, thinking about it.. I bet goes to an HBCU, or to a young and/or black coach like a Juwan Howard, or maybe goes right to the G-League.

Neither, I was referencing Lebron. K stayed on as an Olympic coach (still think this shouldn't be allowed), made buddies with Lebron and basically had Lebron say all these nice things about him to help his recruiting.. not that coaching the olympic teams full of NBA stars to gold medals didn't hurt.

Lebron never needed K for a thing.. but Coach K certainly utilized Lebron when he was getting his ass kicked by John Calipari on the recruiting trail.

But what's Bronny going to do for Coach K? He's still 2 years out, barely top25 in ranking. I don't think Lebron is just going to hand Bronny over to K, especially with their program looking like crap at the moment. And even if he did, meh. you could make the argument that a recruit like Bronny will be overhyped and bring along baggage and scrutiny.. personally? No thanks.

I guess what I'm trying to say.. I'm not worried about K and Lebron's relationship at all when it comes to Lebron's kid.. who, thinking about it.. I bet goes to an HBCU, or to a young and/or black coach like a Juwan Howard, or maybe goes right to the G-League.
Bronny doesnt look like a star.

Cal missed on his biggest recrutis this year

Ashton Hagans
Quickley
Richards
Montgomery
Yeah, I won't argue that. What might have been, eh? Quickley and Richards seem to have made the right choice for themselves, though, and it's clear they were ready. The 2 guys there who should have come back are Hagans and Montgomery. I'm not sure what thought process went into their decisions.

But given where the team was when the dust settled and all the new players, I don't see how Cal could have improved team chemistry. The loss of the cupcakes this season killed this team's chemistry. No blue white game, no exhibitions, no cupcakes to gain confidence and build chemistry, no eating out or going out together, no get togethers, and so on. Teams with new players have struggled across the board, and we had more newcomers than anyone.

Add in the fact that our newcomers couldn't shoot the ball and what you end up with is a disaster.

Go spew your ignorance toward someone else. Your indoctrination is so laughable that you think your views are enlightened. You're just another sheep in the herd.

Because it was cals choice. He said that in either a press conference or on the radio. Once he changed his policy, things immediately improved. Also important to note no covid issue even with relaxed policies.

They were probably depressed as much as anything. Imagine never seeing anyone outside the two hours of practice.

Yes it was a had situation but he made it worse by mishandling and isolating these kids. Sounds like K did the same thing. They were overly aggressive in their protections and it cost them.

Ohh what college hoops has come to coach K’s old self doesn’t want to coach his teams anymore & Cal can’t coach at all 🤦‍♂️. Both have been riding the backs of one and done NBA players in past decade especially cal

I can agree with some of the reactions and disagree with others. The parallels folks are drawing to Calipari are thin in my opinion. Cal was wanting to play ball this season all along. He was willing to do whatever needed to be done to make that happen. The only parallel could be the political stuff and that's because the UK team decided to take a knee during the anthem and Cal didn't refuse it. I hated that, by the way. I don't see taking a knee as serving any purpose other than disrespecting the flag, the country, and servicemen and women. I got zero use for it.

Now, as for Coach K, the poster is right about his attitude toward this season. He was the ring leader of the politically correct crowd this season. He assumed everyone would follow his lead. He was wrong on that, and I'm glad. Part of me wishes this season never happened, because of the crap fest it became for UK, but I still think it was the right move. Yes, Covid-19 is serious and yes players and teams missed games over it, but no players died from it and the season has been a success.

Back to K- his heart definitely wasn't in this season. I don't know how that affected his coaching. I think some of the same issues he was facing are similar to what Calipari was facing with this team. He had a bunch of new, inexperienced players who missed off-season workouts and were going to be behind the normal progression for that program. And it hasn't turned out well. Which came first? His attitude or the poor play? Was he really worried about Covid-19 or was he afraid his team wouldn't be very good? And what about their best player leaving? Is that a sign of team turmoil, bad coaching and relationships, or just a kid with a bad attitude? Or maybe some combination of the 3?

One thing is sure, I don't feel bad for Coach K. That guy has been the "god" of college basketball for years and throws his weight around as much as possible. I'm glad the ACC and college basketball refused to follow his lead.
Cringe

I'll be honest and it may be an unpopular opinion but when K retires I will be a bit sad. My UK fandom as I know it started with him. It will be tough finding anyone to dislike that much. It also makes me feel incredibly old because he was just a bit older than me when my disdain for him started.

As for the Duke fan...wgas...

I agree. What is really weird, before I knew the coach K we know today, I actually like the 80s Duke teams. Johnny Dawkins was one of my favorite players regardless of school attended. He was a bad ass, those early 80s Duke teams where actually entertaining to watch, without all of the rah rah, fake bull shit.

The team with Dawkins, Bilas, Amaker, Mark Alarie, Dave Henderson was bad dudes.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
Could be. I'm possibly giving him 2024 just because LeBron's son is part of the 2023 class unless he reclassifies. I have no inside information or anything, but I could see LeBron trying to sell his son to play for Duke/K in his last season and try to send K off into the sunset with a final national title.

But even if K surprises me and goes longer, I can't see him going more than one more year beyond that. I just couldn't see him wanting to keep coaching when he's 80.
They need to enact a forced retirement age a la rupp.

kb, I'm from Eastern Kentucky, and evidently your not. I may be wrong, but I believe your talking about the UK fans in Southeast Kentucky. I don't know why you would make a stupid statement like that, unless you live there and know racists. Eastern Kentucky and Southeast Kentucky, both have Black citizens. We are not racist, and it's BS like you just posted that gives people bad thoughts of Eastern Kentucky. There are good and bad, just like everywhere in the USA. There are drug problems, alcohol problems, just as there are in Louisville and and everywhere else in the USA. There are no riot problems like there are in the cities. We don't care what color a player is, if he can put the ball in the basket. We only care about winning. In the Air Force, 99% of the people I knew, were not racists, even the ones from the deep South. I had friends who were black, and I and them, only cared about one thing, and it damn sure was not the color of his skin. All that mattered to him, or me, was if we could protect each other in combat. Nothing else. We do care about the Constitution, Freedom, Family, Respect, Our Flag, Our National Anthem, and most of all, GOD.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

It's strange to see K embracing the whole social justice thing. My understanding for quite a while has been that he is a conservative. Although, probably not in the same way Ted Nugent is a conservative.
Nevertheless, it almost seems as though it was done for the look and more likely recruiting purposes.
As with all of us, age eventually becomes a factor in how long we continue to work. I suspect after K retires he will take a commentators seat on ESPN during the season and with CBS/Turner for the NCAA tournament.
I absolutely hate Coach K but I would never compare him to a pedophile like Ted. I know you didn't, just saying that's a line I won't cross.

You must live a sad, miserable life when your whole thought process is about perceived racism. So now, you are berating a 1/4 of the country. Pitiful, plum, pitiful.
Bet he is one of those types who spends his time trying to get Pepe Le Pew and deodorant cancelled.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
I'll be honest and it may be an unpopular opinion but when K retires I will be a bit sad. My UK fandom as I know it started with him. It will be tough finding anyone to dislike that much. It also makes me feel incredibly old because he was just a bit older than me when my disdain for him started.

As for the Duke fan...wgas...
You will survive.......I hated Digger Phelps.......

Reactions: HagginHall1999
He ain't wrong.

I've watched every duke game this year and besides Hurt's shooting, they have looked completely uncoached and very low on weapons.

I think we're witnessing the end of coach K. Next year might be his swan song.
One can only hope ! I don’t think I will be able to stomach the year long love fest that we will be subjected to by ESPN when the Rat Faced Bastard does retire.

Last edited:
People don't want to silence the players.........I don't tune in for there opinions......I want to watch basketball.........I don't give a flying F'uck what nationality they are.......what color they are.........how big or how small.........I want to watch basketball............I can turn on opinion shows on the TV/radio......they are just kids and I don't care what their opinion is.......on anything but basketball.........I don't tune in TV/radio opinion shows to hear about basketball.....it isn't about "silencing" anyone............so the hicks in the SE are not as "woke" as people from your area or other areas........

People don't want to silence the players.........I don't tune it for there opinion......I want to watch basketball.........I don't give a flying F'uck what nationality they are.......what color they are.........how big or how small.........I want to watch basketball............I can turn on opinion shows on the TV/radio......they are just kids and I don't care what their opinion is.......on anything but basketball.........I don't tune in TV/radio opinon shows to hear about basketball.....it isn't about "silencing" anyone............so the hicks in the SE are not as "woke" as people from your area or other areas........
At what point did you tune into the basketball game as the clock was rolling and see them doing anything other than playing basketball?

At what point did you tune into the basketball game as the clock was rolling and see them doing anything other than playing basketball?
I don't want to see it as the game is getting going...........the national anthem is part of the game........

but it was a funny mistake.......poke........
Yup, don't make a mistake on RR when not paying close attention. It will be jumped on every time especially with posts tryiing to discredit the obvious rational point. And to Sleepy Joe, let me know when the heat makes it go way combined with hydroxychloroquine.

• Sad
Reactions: awf
Yup, don't make a mistake on RR when not paying close attention. It will be jumped on every time especially with posts tryiing to discredit the obvious rational point. And to Sleepy Joe, let me know when the heat makes it go way combined with hydroxychloroquine.
Hydroxchloroquine is effective.

Reactions: Blueworld_3.0
There have been 527 million deaths in the US alone this past year that were Covid related. Some will argue (and not understand diagnosis occurs at intake) that hospitals reports them as Covid to obtain more money. Wrong. But, that's more to the point. There have been political agendas by both major parties, leadership, Fox, CNN, and on and on all slanted to their own self-interests. So the confused lay person who likes Fox seeks their information to sustain or support their belief and visa-versa with CNN, etc. Thus, last year around this time indoor sports were cancelled.

Throught the summer last year deaths rapidly increased and by the fall it seemed reasonable to consider for safety reasons to cancel college basketball and do things that common sense would tell you (social distancing as an example) to prevent exposure. Fortunately, accomodations were made to have a season although with obvious changes, game cancellations, and other concepts to protect all involved.

Bottom-line, K's suggestion to cancel the season was not out of line given the situation. Now, none of us know what his real motivation was for the suggestion. Plus, none of know for sure why that wasn't done and money likely would be one aspect. However, it has worked with the way things have been handled to have a season although obviously an unbalanced season at best. Those programs relying on inexperienced players likely were impacted the most. That doesn't change that by the end of this season some teams like Kentucky and Duke simply are not that good or have certain weaknesses based upon the players and not lack of practice.

I hate Duke and find the media favoritism and ignoring the dark side of K. is frustrating. But, I can't see an argument to his thoughts at the time being unreasonable or because of his politics.
527 million deaths? Is that you Joe?
Nancy?

Dude must not have watched the Duke game I just watched.

First call of the game, 20 seconds in, is a foul on Duke.

K met the official in front of the scorers table and proceeded to berate him all the time the official was trying to communicate with the scorers table who the foul was on.

At the first TV time out at 4 minutes into the game, K has a group session with all three officials who were nodding their heads and wagging their tongues like little puppy dogs.

K continued to "coach up" the official nearest to him on the sideline the whole game.

K's greatest coaching strength is his ability to intimidate, humiliate, and berate officials and still convince those officials that they need to pay attention and call the game the way he wants it called.

The ability to control the officials has won K many more games than his ability to coach his own players.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT