ADVERTISEMENT

This was posted by one of the most respected posters on Dukes board . Thoughts ?

yoshukai

All-American
Gold Member
Dec 21, 2002
Harrodsburg
I’ve been a fan since the late 70’s. I’ve been through all these wars and amazing moments as they happened. Mike Krzyzewski’s autograph adorns five items that I own, unfortunately I don’t know who Mike Krzyzewski is right now but I do believe what has transpired is his fault. Duke seems more interested these days in political activism and not sports. (More on that in a sec)

- who made the choice to bring in the team so late? Look at all the missed practice time.

- who canceled several critical non-conference games?

-who was making comments suggesting it should all be canceled but that they would “plow through” anyhow when they realized it wouldn’t be?

-did Duke look prepared at all last night?

-Jalen Johnson mess just plain weird.

-kudos to unccheat for taking advantage of the chance to put some fans in the stands and add games to the schedule. Very smart unlike very dumb Duke.

Mike Krzyzewski thought that all of College Basketball would follow his stance last year and just shut down completely. And it didn’t happen and no one in the ACC other than the Duke women heard his pleas. His heart was not in it at all. The covid mess and having no fans in the stands and all the distancing, etc. frustrated him to a point that he didn’t think it was worth continuing. It has nothing to do with what kind of team great or crappy he thought they’d be, look how many close games they could have won! No, instead he continually applied duct tape to his own program and now it sits where it is. K thought the ACC would bow to it’s Legend, and people said “nah we’re still having a season.” Therefore his heart was never fully there. I argued more calls last few games than the Coach bothered too.

Duke wants everyone to know that it has decided it wants to be the most political school in the ACC. And K has jumped all in apparently. This has been off putting to a lot of fans who don’t have Smart phones glued to their face all day and who know what vinyl and cassettes are. I’ve never seen so many long time fans that I know become so disenchanted. How incredibly sad.

We may very well see the final season of Duke under K next year or maybe in the next two years and where does it go from there? Especially with a new A.D.

It isn’t just a team identity unrecognized. Do any of you recognize the identity of the entire school right now? 2020/2021 is the worst coaching job of Mike Krzyzewski’s career. Hands down. Both he and the Duke administration were idiots in how they’ve handled many things. The very same people who have always been so brilliant. Sad.

I'll be honest and it may be an unpopular opinion but when K retires I will be a bit sad. My UK fandom as I know it started with him. It will be tough finding anyone to dislike that much. It also makes me feel incredibly old because he was just a bit older than me when my disdain for him started.

As for the Duke fan...wgas...

Last edited:
I would love to see that. Maybe Coach K is getting ready to retire. One can only hope.
I think we're witnessing the end of coach K. Next year might be his swan song.

Krzyzewski will be 75 next February. I won't put an exact timetable on it, that's impossible, but I'd guess his retirement comes in the next four years. I'll play the safe side by going in the middle and say it happens in 2 or 3 years. LeBron's son is part of the 2023 class, so maybe that could get Coach K to stick around for another year if LeBron would want Bronny to play for K/Duke. I have no inside information on that, it's speculation on my part.
But after that, I'd guess he'd hang it up to enjoy retirement and spend more time with his family instead of coaching until he hits the age of 80.

Krzyzewski will be 75 next February. I won't put an exact timetable on it, that's impossible, but I'd guess his retirement comes in the next four years. I'll play the safe side by going in the middle and say it happens in 2 or 3 years. LeBron's son is part of the 2023 class, so maybe that could get Coach K to stick around for another year if LeBron would want Bronny to play for K/Duke. I have no inside information on that, it's speculation on my part.
But after that, I'd guess he'd hang it up to enjoy retirement and spend more time with his family instead of coaching until he hits the age of 80.
2023 will be his last year

• Love
Reactions: RunninRichie
I can agree with some of the reactions and disagree with others. The parallels folks are drawing to Calipari are thin in my opinion. Cal was wanting to play ball this season all along. He was willing to do whatever needed to be done to make that happen. The only parallel could be the political stuff and that's because the UK team decided to take a knee during the anthem and Cal didn't refuse it. I hated that, by the way. I don't see taking a knee as serving any purpose other than disrespecting the flag, the country, and servicemen and women. I got zero use for it.

Now, as for Coach K, the poster is right about his attitude toward this season. He was the ring leader of the politically correct crowd this season. He assumed everyone would follow his lead. He was wrong on that, and I'm glad. Part of me wishes this season never happened, because of the crap fest it became for UK, but I still think it was the right move. Yes, Covid-19 is serious and yes players and teams missed games over it, but no players died from it and the season has been a success.

Back to K- his heart definitely wasn't in this season. I don't know how that affected his coaching. I think some of the same issues he was facing are similar to what Calipari was facing with this team. He had a bunch of new, inexperienced players who missed off-season workouts and were going to be behind the normal progression for that program. And it hasn't turned out well. Which came first? His attitude or the poor play? Was he really worried about Covid-19 or was he afraid his team wouldn't be very good? And what about their best player leaving? Is that a sign of team turmoil, bad coaching and relationships, or just a kid with a bad attitude? Or maybe some combination of the 3?

One thing is sure, I don't feel bad for Coach K. That guy has been the "god" of college basketball for years and throws his weight around as much as possible. I'm glad the ACC and college basketball refused to follow his lead.

2023 will be his last year

Could be. I'm possibly giving him 2024 just because LeBron's son is part of the 2023 class unless he reclassifies. I have no inside information or anything, but I could see LeBron trying to sell his son to play for Duke/K in his last season and try to send K off into the sunset with a final national title.

But even if K surprises me and goes longer, I can't see him going more than one more year beyond that. I just couldn't see him wanting to keep coaching when he's 80.

Could be. I'm possibly giving him 2024 just because LeBron's son is part of the 2023 class unless he reclassifies. I have no inside information or anything, but I could see LeBron trying to sell his son to play for Duke/K in his last season and try to send K off into the sunset with a final national title.

But even if K surprises me and goes longer, I can't see him going more than one more year beyond that. I just couldn't see him wanting to keep coaching when he's 80.
I actually got my years mixed up, I believe 22-23 will be his last as that is when his grandson on the team graduates as well. If K thinks he has a serious shot with Bronny, I could see him staying that extra year, but I bet he ends up at an HBCU like NC central or exercises his pro options. Also going to Michigan wouldn't shock me, looking like they might be the next hotspot for recruits and Lebron is a big fan of Howard back from their Miami days.

I actually got my years mixed up, I believe 22-23 will be his last

Figured that's what you meant since you said you thought 2023 would be his last year. I didn't even consider the HBCU route for Bronny. But if someone like Mikey Williams who is considered a top 5 recruit in that class does it, then others could follow him. Makur Makur in this past class went that route committing to Howard.

Reactions: michael895
Lots of similarities imo. The political stuff especially. The overwhelming majority of fans do not want politics in their sports....at all.
Cal did want to play though. Both have looked like inexperienced unprepared coaches. Cal has had zero answers and has made some of the most bizarre staements a UK has ever made imo.

He is actually 175, haven't you seen the pic of him from the civil war?
Rf74c4bab87428a9747e1ef51afd7243f

He will devour another 100 Dook virgins which are easy to come by around campus and he will make one more big run. If he can pull it off then he will hang it up. But let's face it he couldn't get to the FF with Zion and Co. How do you not make the FF with that team? So I don't know if he gets back. He has 1 FF in the last decade.

It's strange to see K embracing the whole social justice thing. My understanding for quite a while has been that he is a conservative. Although, probably not in the same way Ted Nugent is a conservative.
Nevertheless, it almost seems as though it was done for the look and more likely recruiting purposes.
As with all of us, age eventually becomes a factor in how long we continue to work. I suspect after K retires he will take a commentators seat on ESPN during the season and with CBS/Turner for the NCAA tournament.

Thoughts? Not all the morons are in Kentucky. At least this guy has a better excuse. Being ready to move on from K at his age makes 100 times more sense than wanting to move on from Calipari.

But the infantile who react to every loss like a two year old who has a toy taken away are everywhere, not just Rupp Rafters.

Lots of similarities imo. The political stuff especially. The overwhelming majority of fans do not want politics in their sports....at all.
Cal did want to play though. Both have looked like inexperienced unprepared coaches. Cal has had zero answers and has made some of the most bizarre staements a UK has ever made imo.

Both coaches have looked largely inexperienced and unprepared since they adopted the one and done model, TBH. What success they have had has been due to transcendent players or, in Duke’s case, cakewalk tourney paths and a Wisconsin that shot their wad against Kentucky.

Reactions: KailuaCat and awf
It's strange to see K embracing the whole social justice thing. My understanding for quite a while has been that he is a conservative. Although, probably not in the same way Ted Nugent is a conservative.
Nevertheless, it almost seems as though it was done for the look and more likely recruiting purposes.
As with all of us, age eventually becomes a factor in how long we continue to work. I suspect after K retires he will take a commentators seat on ESPN during the season and with CBS/Turner for the NCAA tournament.

He is conservative. The "political" things referred to in the OP are all Covid related and a 75 yo worrying about Covid is common sense not political. He could die.

So everyone expects Bronny to be as good as his dad or what?

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Thoughts? Not all the morons are in Kentucky. At least this guy has a better excuse. Being ready to move on from K at his age makes 100 times more sense than wanting to move on from Calipari.

But the infantile who react to every loss like a two year old who has a toy taken away are everywhere, not just Rupp Rafters.
What has age got to do with shitty coaching?

Oh Lord, K retirement tour and China Doll Jr....

They'd been handed a title

Sounds like fans are the same everywhere. This very well could have been said about several coaches this year, well several points.

Reactions: TeoJ

The problem is, Lebrons kid isn't anything special, and the relationship between K and Lebron was strictly K using the greatest player in the last 20 years to help build his program.

And how close is Lebron and K, really? I can't see woke Lebron James sending his son to an over-the-hill white old guy, when there's plenty of younger coaches at hotter programs.

Based on what we know about K's character, I dont see him giving a shit about Lebron's kid when he's not a top recruit.

Cal did the exact same thing. The real reason for our struggles slipped out in a comment weeks ago. Cal wondered if he'd been too careful by forcing these kids into isolation the entire time.

Then cal said he has to start having team gatherings, etc, so they can get to know and trust one another.

Immediately improved. But too little too late.

There have been 527 million deaths in the US alone this past year that were Covid related. Some will argue (and not understand diagnosis occurs at intake) that hospitals reports them as Covid to obtain more money. Wrong. But, that's more to the point. There have been political agendas by both major parties, leadership, Fox, CNN, and on and on all slanted to their own self-interests. So the confused lay person who likes Fox seeks their information to sustain or support their belief and visa-versa with CNN, etc. Thus, last year around this time indoor sports were cancelled.

Throught the summer last year deaths rapidly increased and by the fall it seemed reasonable to consider for safety reasons to cancel college basketball and do things that common sense would tell you (social distancing as an example) to prevent exposure. Fortunately, accomodations were made to have a season although with obvious changes, game cancellations, and other concepts to protect all involved.

Bottom-line, K's suggestion to cancel the season was not out of line given the situation. Now, none of us know what his real motivation was for the suggestion. Plus, none of know for sure why that wasn't done and money likely would be one aspect. However, it has worked with the way things have been handled to have a season although obviously an unbalanced season at best. Those programs relying on inexperienced players likely were impacted the most. That doesn't change that by the end of this season some teams like Kentucky and Duke simply are not that good or have certain weaknesses based upon the players and not lack of practice.

I hate Duke and find the media favoritism and ignoring the dark side of K. is frustrating. But, I can't see an argument to his thoughts at the time being unreasonable or because of his politics.

A vocal segment of college fans in the southeast want to silence the players voices. Stop acting like it's something about the flag, military or anything else (kneeling does nothing to denigrate any of that). The southeast has always been slow to adopt certain changes in this country and this is no different.

• Sad
Reactions: carbonlib23 and awf
There have been 527 million deaths in the US alone this past year that were Covid related. Some will argue (and not understand diagnosis occurs at intake) that hospitals reports them as Covid to obtain more money. Wrong. But, that's more to the point. There have been political agendas by both major parties, leadership, Fox, CNN, and on and on all slanted to their own self-interests. So the confused lay person who likes Fox seeks their information to sustain or support their belief and visa-versa with CNN, etc. Thus, last year around this time indoor sports were cancelled.

Throught the summer last year deaths rapidly increased and by the fall it seemed reasonable to consider for safety reasons to cancel college basketball and do things that common sense would tell you (social distancing as an example) to prevent exposure. Fortunately, accomodations were made to have a season although with obvious changes, game cancellations, and other concepts to protect all involved.

Bottom-line, K's suggestion to cancel the season was not out of line given the situation. Now, none of us know what his real motivation was for the suggestion. Plus, none of know for sure why that wasn't done and money likely would be one aspect. However, it has worked with the way things have been handled to have a season although obviously an unbalanced season at best. Those programs relying on inexperienced players likely were impacted the most. That doesn't change that by the end of this season some teams like Kentucky and Duke simply are not that good or have certain weaknesses based upon the players and not lack of practice.

I hate Duke and find the media favoritism and ignoring the dark side of K. is frustrating. But, I can't see an argument to his thoughts at the time being unreasonable or because of his politics.
I really can’t remember, but did K rally to have the season canceled before it started? I recall he mentioned it after Duke was losing a lot of ooc games. I think people viewed him as a sore loser and looking for an out, like the old back flare up. Now if he was saying that all offseason, and I just don’t remember it, then fair game.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
There have been 527 million deaths in the US alone this past year that were Covid related. Some will argue (and not understand diagnosis occurs at intake) that hospitals reports them as Covid to obtain more money. Wrong. But, that's more to the point.
So everyone in America is now dead from COVID. And another 200 million crossed the Southern border just for the privilege of dying in America from COVID.

What a country. I guess I didn't need that vaccine after all if I died last year.

I’ve been a fan since the late 70’s. I’ve been through all these wars and amazing moments as they happened. Mike Krzyzewski’s autograph adorns five items that I own, unfortunately I don’t know who Mike Krzyzewski is right now but I do believe what has transpired is his fault. Duke seems more interested these days in political activism and not sports. (More on that in a sec)

- who made the choice to bring in the team so late? Look at all the missed practice time.

- who canceled several critical non-conference games?

-who was making comments suggesting it should all be canceled but that they would “plow through” anyhow when they realized it wouldn’t be?

-did Duke look prepared at all last night?

-Jalen Johnson mess just plain weird.

-kudos to unccheat for taking advantage of the chance to put some fans in the stands and add games to the schedule. Very smart unlike very dumb Duke.

Mike Krzyzewski thought that all of College Basketball would follow his stance last year and just shut down completely. And it didn’t happen and no one in the ACC other than the Duke women heard his pleas. His heart was not in it at all. The covid mess and having no fans in the stands and all the distancing, etc. frustrated him to a point that he didn’t think it was worth continuing. It has nothing to do with what kind of team great or crappy he thought they’d be, look how many close games they could have won! No, instead he continually applied duct tape to his own program and now it sits where it is. K thought the ACC would bow to it’s Legend, and people said “nah we’re still having a season.” Therefore his heart was never fully there. I argued more calls last few games than the Coach bothered too.

Duke wants everyone to know that it has decided it wants to be the most political school in the ACC. And K has jumped all in apparently. This has been off putting to a lot of fans who don’t have Smart phones glued to their face all day and who know what vinyl and cassettes are. I’ve never seen so many long time fans that I know become so disenchanted. How incredibly sad.

We may very well see the final season of Duke under K next year or maybe in the next two years and where does it go from there? Especially with a new A.D.

It isn’t just a team identity unrecognized. Do any of you recognize the identity of the entire school right now? 2020/2021 is the worst coaching job of Mike Krzyzewski’s career. Hands down. Both he and the Duke administration were idiots in how they’ve handled many things. The very same people who have always been so brilliant. Sad.
I hate duke with a passion and their coach as well hate them with a passion. They are allowed to pay players families and nothing is said. The coach starts yelling and cursing at the officals and all of a sudden duke doesn't commit any more fouls and the other team fouls every time down the court all this crap and they are still the media daings and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they put this awful team in the tournament. I hate them with a passion.

ADVERTISEMENT