ADVERTISEMENT

This was my biggest fear

LXWildcat

Sophomore
Nov 25, 2023
My biggest fear with this team was going cold on offense and not having the defense to help with the bad offensive game…. Glad it’s not March yet but something has to change l, if not a night like this in the tournament will send them home early

Every team goes cold from time to time, what this team needs is to not panic. Defense has been good enough to win give a normal shooting performance, but we've played so much iso and quick shots and forcing things instead of the normal team based high assist offense. And when we have been open we've peed down our leg.

Biggest fear should be a coach that cannot adjust or stop an otherwise avg offense. These type games expose that he cannot problem solve during a game
i mean you can’t put all blame on Cal, he can only do so much. It’s up to the players to actually guard their man.

Reactions: Rockfly78
My biggest fear with this team was going cold on offense and not having the defense to help with the bad offensive game…. Glad it’s not March yet but something has to change l, if not a night like this in the tournament will send them home early

This is exactly what all the folks pointing out our terrible defense were worried about. And, you are right, it is exactly what will send us home early in March. At this point in the season, I think our most likely tournament performance is R32 or S16. We won't go any further with this defense. And I'm beginning to wonder if we have fool's gold on offense. I mean South Carolina isn't even that good at defense and we can't even put up 60? And we can't muster more than 6 assists through 38 minutes? I am afraid of what Tennessee and Auburn will do to our offense. For me, two words that come to mind when thinking about this team right now are PRETENDER and SOFT. I hope I am wrong, and I'll try to enjoy the high moments of the season we have left, but I am seriously disappointed in where we are at this point in the season.

Reactions: KyCatFan
Wouldn't read much into this game. There's no chance a neutral court game gets called the same way, and it absolutely affected the outcome.

Regardless, I hope our guys use it as a wake up call to improve on defense.

Reactions: Catzman
My biggest fear is the lack of dependable offense. Half court possession in a tough game, where do we go? It’s a natural weakness for a team that thrives on random spread the floor possessions.

I think we saw tonight the first inclination was DJ and Antonio driving to the goal. They didn’t finish tonight even though there was plenty of contact.

Said it multiple times ... how this team responds to an "off" (in this case, horrific) night shooting tells us what they can be this year.

I think they're an upset special in a lot of brackets b/c they can't be trusted and have a historically bad defense (UK standards).

Reactions: KyCatFan
I also feared this outcome. Every coach I can remember (perhaps Pitino was the exception) who had teams that wanted to run act like they hit a brick wall when they would play a team like USC. And I go back to Rupp.

My biggest fear is the lack of dependable offense. Half court possession in a tough game, where do we go? It’s a natural weakness for a team that thrives on random spread the floor possessions.

I think we saw tonight the first inclination was DJ and Antonio driving to the goal. They didn’t finish tonight even though there was plenty of contact.

We did what we were supposed to. Shots aren't falling? Drive to the basket when they over play you at the 3 point line and get the bucket or get fouled. We got fouled a ton and none of it was called. Hell Mitchell took a elbow to the nose and HE got charged. How many times did Oscar have that happen for him?

Road losses and beat downs suck ass but they're about as useful of a barometer this year as beating the piss out of a terrible division 2 school. Everyone's losing on the road as someone else mentioned. Lick your wounds, watch film, and prepare for the next game. I'll say this though, I'm hot as hell about those cocky pricks shooting lights out (surprise) but don't see it or the fouls going that way at Rupp and look forward to revenge.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT