ADVERTISEMENT

This thing about we need ELITE players

billoliver40

Senior
Dec 16, 2015
Trenton ky
Okay guys....transfer portal guys are not the NBA ready kids you seem to be wanting...or they wouldn't be transfer guys. This starting to hand wring about who we get is KIND of one of the reasons we are where we are.

Watching guys get better is a fun part of the game....and NO one knows how a guy that say dominated at North Florida or Samford is gonna do night in and out with a UK schedule.

Relax, say thanks And enjoy the NIL to the guys that are coming. And see what happens.

NBA-ready kids often outright suck at CBB. Very largely about vertical and height. So glad that fad’s in the rearview and doubt that’s what very many of us are wanting. We have some of the most accurate and efficient guns in the land. That’s elite.

Okay guys....transfer portal guys are not the NBA ready kids you seem to be wanting...or they wouldn't be transfer guys. This starting to hand wring about who we get is KIND of one of the reasons we are where we are.

Watching guys get better is a fun part of the game....and NO one knows how a guy that say dominated at North Florida or Samford is gonna do night in and out with a UK schedule.

Relax, say thanks And enjoy the NIL to the guys that are coming. And see what happens.
I agree but every team that wins, has stud players. At least at the college level. I hope we end up with a couple.

This year of UK recruiting is unlike any other in history -- zero returning players and a late start on HS recruiting. We are seeing the entire roster hand-picked over a period of 4-6 weeks.

Who knows, we might suck, but this has been fun to watch unfold.

I'm taking the North Florida or Samford standout. With the transfer portal, one year is the only thing that is guaranteed. Therefore, the days of "watching guys get better" has become few and far between.

Also, who was elite in 98?
They didn't have any lottery picks, but they did have a future NBA All-Star in Jamaal Magloire; one McDonald's All-American in Wayne Turner (who ended up playing more games in UK history than any other Wildcats); a total of four future 1st round picks; and like JPFisher just mentioned, 6 total NBA players.

They also played more tournament games together than any UK roster in the last 27 years. That alone makes them an anomaly.

Going into the 1998 season, here's how many tournament games each of those guys had played in:

Sheppard: 12
Edwards: 12
Turner: 11
Padgett: 9
Mills: 6
Mohammed: 6
Magloire: 6

That's 62 games worth of tournament experience between those 7 guys.

Plus Evans, who redshirted in 1997 and played against Anderson and Mercer in practice.

This present UK team doesn't even know each other's first names yet.

Yea all of those 5 stars that we had to replace every year helped us hang banners. Give me players with game statistics and experience over AAU kids everyday. The portal door will be a revolving door as well, but, the player pool will always be there to replace the portal players only looking to be NIL money mercenaries.

Thing about the thought of needing elite players is, we did for the last 15 years. Cal couldn't succeed without them. He just put the best players he could get together and tried to force them in to his style. Definition of the square peg - round hole ideal.

We aren't used to what Pope is doing - building a team. He is recruiting guys who fit his style and play his way.

Reactions: ManitouDan
Isn't that the idea of this type of recruiting? In theory we start building the roster to have returners who will gain experience in tourney play. This will culminate in experienced rosters in the future. You gotta start somewhere.
🐄 was gonna rinse and repeat.
GBB

What did these so called elite players get us over the last 15 years, plus look at who has been making the final 4 over the last 4 years and how many so called elite players were on those rosters, how many games like Evansville, Oakland etc did we lose with those so called elite players over the last 5 or 6 years. I will take a good actual coach mature players who play as a team.

• Love
Reactions: KFuqua
We have been conditioned to believe that you need all 5 star athletes to have any chance and many here can't accept this new paradigm ( which was the paradigm before Cal). Truth is, the former regime HAD TO HAVE that type of talent to offset their lack of coaching and development. And even then, it still was not working. Now it remains to be seen if Pope is that guy, but if he is, I expect many here will be shocked when good coaching and structured TEAM ball translates to winning.

I agree but every team that wins, has stud players. At least at the college level. I hope we end up with a couple.

Exactly. It's amazing to watch fans try to talk themselves into some of this stuff.

I get the offense will help get some easier looks but we need at least one elite college player. With 5-6 mil in nil we should be able to get at least one. So far we havent. Now we have to hope one of these guys can become elite.

I know I keep saying this but on this board it's always worth repeating: our coach is absolutely learning on the job. Yes he was in the big 12 but it's going to be vastly different in the sec where we truly are everyone's Superbowl.

Ultimately we will be fine. Ab3 was a critical hire and pope will get it. Just don't be surprised if this year has some rough spots.

The way Pope has built this roster is beyond refreshing. He gets shooters and guys that fit his system. Cal recruited kids just because of the stars next to their name. No system or plan in place for them.

The jury is out if Pope can land big time talent to sprinkle in to his role players. I’m not putting it past him, he’s gone far beyond expectations at this point.

CCC had elite recruits for practically his entire time at UK, and ONE NCAAT title to show for it. One. 1.
That’s more on Cal than the roster and you know that. I agree you don’t need 5 burger boys but you need some elite talent. I didn’t expect it in Pope’s first year because he was behind in recruiting when he arrived, was following Cal, and was still an unknown commodity in college basketball. He’s done a great job of putting a team together that I think will compete and be exciting. If he can build some momentum in year one, I expect the recruiting to only rise up because at the end of the day we are Kentucky.

I think at this point we have a stud Kentucky coach AND support staff. (His/ their actions show it so far. Just need this in-season confirmation and I am anticipating that.) I also think we have potential stud players with the right grouping of this team which I think Coach Pope has assembled.

I AM thankful!

• Love
Reactions: Fox2monk
I feel like some of us are talking past each other to an extent here. The confusion is understandable after Cal’s tenure, but “elite talent” isn’t necessarily a synonym for “5 star freshmen”, it’s just top level college players who are capable of being All-SEC if not All-American performers. Think guys like Mark Sears or Dalton Knecht for recent examples who weren’t 5 star freshmen. You need at least 1-2 of those to contend for championships most years, and although we haven’t signed any bad players, I think it’s a reasonable take to doubt that we have anyone on that level as the roster currently stands.

Elite players aren’t going to want to learn how to cut and move off the ball from Mark Pope. They want the ball in their hands. Get over the 5 stars.
Pope is still recruiting 5* kids. Stephon Castle was a big part of Uconn winning the championship this year. They just weren’t dependent on 5* freshmen. It’s not the 5* players that’s the problem. It’s the focus on them alone to win. My hope is that Pope can find the right balance.

We have 4 or 5 guys on our roster now who could absolutely have a breakout year next year like Lanier and the other guys we are wanting so badly.

I would love to get Lanier, Robinson, White, etc..... But I am not bummed if we dont. There is a lot of good talent on our current roster and you never know who will make significant progress under Pope's tutelage.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
Yea all of those 5 stars that we had to replace every year helped us hang banners. Give me players with game statistics and experience over AAU kids everyday. The portal door will be a revolving door as well, but, the player pool will always be there to replace the portal players only looking to be NIL money mercenaries.
They all played AAU ball.

Last edited:
Also, who was elite in 98?
Mohammed/Magloire split time at the 5 and averaged a combined 17.2 points, 11.4 rebounds, and 3.6 blocks in 36 minutes. Both had successful NBA careers. We were elite at the 5, to go along with Padgett at the 4 who had an 8-year NBA career. Our bigs were and Sheppard who was a 5th year senior great college player who had a cup of coffee in the league.

I think you can win with any team. I think the best well balanced formula is something like this.

1-2 Elite Players
2-4 Really Good Players
The rest of the roster of role players.

With high school basketball players, the term “elite” has been overused, overstated and become meaningless. Very few “5 Star” kids are actually “elite”. Guys like John Wall , Anthony Davis and Zion Williamson are few and far between.

Except for Kentucky when Cal was here. Just look at what he did with those stud players we had the last several years. Not one Tourny win.

That’s more on Cal than the roster and you know that. I agree you don’t need 5 burger boys but you need some elite talent. I didn’t expect it in Pope’s first year because he was behind in recruiting when he arrived, was following Cal, and was still an unknown commodity in college basketball. He’s done a great job of putting a team together that I think will compete and be exciting. If he can build some momentum in year one, I expect the recruiting to only rise up because at the end of the day we are Kentucky.
Yes this was a reflection on CCCs lack of coaching expertise. 👊

Reactions: kats23
Mohammed/Magloire split time at the 5 and averaged a combined 17.2 points, 11.4 rebounds, and 3.6 blocks in 36 minutes. Both had successful NBA careers. We were elite at the 5, to go along with Padgett at the 4 who had an 8-year NBA career. Our bigs were and Sheppard who was a 5th year senior great college player who had a cup of coffee in the league.

Imo people criminally underrate the talent on that roster. There were no major standouts but it wasn't because none of them were elite. It was because the key guys all were elite. Not elite NBA prospects but elite cbb players, which is what counts.

I think people forget that team only lost 4 total games. At least iirc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT