ADVERTISEMENT

The Barnhart disapointment

It is not fair to bring in a new AD and tell him he has to fire Cal. This is on Mitch, this is his mess, he needs to clean up the men's basketball program before he leaves here. It is the most important sport at Kentucky and it is at an all time low right now.
I think a new AD is exactly what is needed first. No notice to current coaches or AD. New AD has to have the courage to make difficult decisions & right choices now. BBN would fully support the new AD. Cal needs to finally understand that he reports to the AD after he gets shown the door.

Reactions: Wildcatjedi
This is the best Kentucky football has been in my 45 years. If this isn’t good enough, you need to move on. Kentucky won’t ever be Alabama.
That's a miserable take in general but I agree we won't win much more with Stoops, so relatively speaking we are enjoying mediocrity ... at least until we suck again. Texas and Oklahoma says howdy.

That's a miserable take in general but I agree we won't win much more with Stoops, so relatively speaking we are enjoying mediocrity ... at least until we suck again. Texas and Oklahoma says howdy.
Outside of a guy named Bear, UK has never been this successful in football You like 27 years old?

Outside of a guy named Bear, UK has never been this successful in football You like 27 years old?
LOL ... been around long enough to know my own opinions and don't need permission to have one nor do I need your approval. What are you, the opinion police? Stoops at UK has been anything but a well-oiled machine. Considering the amount of money he's paid, the Texas A&M embarrassment, the ridiculous volume of staff turnover begs caution. Stoops arrived with training wheels and can't seem to shed them, and it shows. If your metric as a measure of success is making bowl, well that's a pretty low bar these days, especially the way Stoops schedules.

Reactions: crestcat
You guys are free to bring up any of the dozens (and dozens?) Of past posts I've made supporting Mitch Barnhart.
The last fiasco with Calipari has pretty much burned bridges.
The man had the backing of apparently boosters, the board, the school president, the fanbase to make a change.

Instead we get a video of Mitch and Cal talking about wanting to go out on top and 'reassessing' NIL....In other words if you can't coach em, you buy em.
No staff changes.
No heavy dive into the transfer portal.
No change In coaching philosophy.

Blown opportunities.

Discouraging.frustrating. disappointing.

I am pissed with Cal but infuriated with Mitch. This is all his fault, plain and simple.

LOL ... been around long enough to know my own opinions and don't need permission to have one nor do I need your approval. What are you, the opinion police? Stoops at UK has been anything but a well-oiled machine. Considering the amount of money he's paid, the Texas A&M embarrassment, the ridiculous volume of staff turnover begs caution. Stoops arrived with training wheels and can't seem to shed them, and it shows. If your metric as a measure of success is making bowl, well that's a pretty low bar these days, especially the way Stoops schedules.
If you would, point out where I said what your opinion should be? I stated a FACT, UK hasn't been this successful under any other coach not named Bear Bryant You can have your opinion, even if it is wrong

Who do you think Kentucky could hire that would do better?

He is right though. Kentucky has never been as good in football as they’ve been under Stoops. Unless you disagree?

I think that says a lot about Kentucky football despite our very passionate fanbase .

You guys are free to bring up any of the dozens (and dozens?) Of past posts I've made supporting Mitch Barnhart.
The last fiasco with Calipari has pretty much burned bridges.
The man had the backing of apparently boosters, the board, the school president, the fanbase to make a change.

Instead we get a video of Mitch and Cal talking about wanting to go out on top and 'reassessing' NIL....In other words if you can't coach em, you buy em.
No staff changes.
No heavy dive into the transfer portal.
No change In coaching philosophy.

Blown opportunities.

Discouraging.frustrating. disappointing.
Got to agree and I’ve supported Mitch too. I know he’s a loyalist and always tries to support folks who he gets personally attached to, even Cal, but he needed to have some frank discussions with Cal on his performance at a minimum and I’m not sure that happened.

As a matter of fact I know it didn’t happen. All they discussed were peripheral things like how THEY together we’re going to attack NIL etc.

The problem is none of that stuff gets to the problem which is Cal’s shortcomings as an actual game planning and game managing coach. But think about it, how was Mitch ever going to start that discussion? What was he going to do, draw up plays for Cal? Or tell him you have to start coaching better? No that’s too hard a discussion for Mitch.

if he was going to keep him, what needed to happen never had a chance to ever happen I’m afraid.

Was that Barnhart? I didn't realize he'd been here that long. I do remember being confused that Morris wasn't given a chance; seemed like 7-5 should've earned him the shot. I also remember liking the recruiting class he brought in, which was heavy on linemen, both sides of the ball. He understood that the SEC required depth in the lines.
It helped having Artose Pinner in our backfield and Loremzen at QB

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
If you would, point out where I said what your opinion should be? I stated a FACT, UK hasn't been this successful under any other coach not named Bear Bryant You can have your opinion, even if it is wrong
Thank you for allowing me to have my opinion. You may disagree with my opinion, but you can't claim that it's wrong ... it just differs from yours, which just means we have a difference of opinion. Stoops is fortunate to have the UK job, in my mind and is by no means what I would consider a top-flight coach, certainly not what Barnhart is paying him. He can't seem to keep a staff together to achieve continuity which is needed badly. He's certainly been a needed upgrade over our recent coaches, but that's not really saying much. It could and should be much better at UK, which is in the perfect place for an aggressive and skilled coach. At this point, I see Stoops as a place holder until we can make the upgrade. Just my opinion ... it's not right or wrong.

Thank you for allowing me to have my opinion. You may disagree with my opinion, but you can't claim that it's wrong ... it just differs from yours, which just means we have a difference of opinion. Stoops is fortunate to have the UK job, in my mind and is by no means what I would consider a top-flight coach, certainly not what Barnhart is paying him. He can't seem to keep a staff together to achieve continuity which is needed badly. He's certainly been a needed upgrade over our recent coaches, but that's not really saying much. It could and should be much better at UK, which is in the perfect place for an aggressive and skilled coach. At this point, I see Stoops as a place holder until we can make the upgrade. Just my opinion ... it's not right or wrong.
I never challenged that you could have an opinion, I just told you facts, not opinion. FYI, when staff members leave because they get promoted, that a good thing, look at Alabama and GA staff changes over the years

Look I want Cal gone as bad as next guy but you guys would have went ballistic if Cal took UCLA job cause Mitch didn’t meet his demands
In 2019 his 9 yr record was one of best ever
That’s what contracts are for - it sucks but it’s more on Cal not adjusting roster to older kids after Covid than anything to do with Mitch
Stoops is what he is but considering we live in Kentucky where he’s at a massive disadvantage getting high school talent he at least has a competitive team and he’s beating Louisville- recruiting in top 30 area nationally
It could be a hell of a lot worse
Ask Arkansas or Florida or Vandy
Look Mitch has kept programs out of trouble and financially responsible- nobody is 100% on these Contracts and trust me he wants to get rid of Cal but financially it’s probably going to take one or two more years

Should Mitch have canned Cal .. yes or at least not do a state run propaganda TV show with him
But I believe Mitch did not make the decision to not fire Cal I believe the President and board had final say

The contract in 2019 for ten yr extension did not look bad at the time

Stoops has us competitive admittedly overpaid based on performance

Elzy was a lazy hire and a disaster - she had no head coaching experience

Other programs are flourishing on campus I wanted baseball coach fired Mitch hung with him and he’s taking off
Look at all the sports in total he’s done pretty damn good

Mitch has been fortunate that we’re making money off of this conference and that’s what has contributed to much of his success. He’s actually been a really bad AD in the traditional context. I definitely like Nick and think he was a good hire.

1. Wanted to extent Tubby
2. Hired Billy Gillispie
3. Hired Joker Phillips (follow up hire after a solid foundation, can’t express how bad of a hire this was.
4. Didn’t want to hire Calipari
5. The lifetime contract
6. Stoops’ contract
7. No consistency in sports that matter the most

He’s been a bad AD all in all. I love that UK has done well in some smaller sports like Rifle, but make no mistake his job is to produce SEC results in our major programs. He’s done a pathetic job in basketball and hasn’t made a NY6 bowl in football. Even VANDERBILT has done that in the time he’s been at UK.

It’s not just the contract to Calipari he messed up, He allowed a 1 title coach to have full control without oversight.

There aren’t many SEC departments that would have retained him. I also don’t think people realize that Mitch works for very little money compared to other AD’s, and also there hasn’t been anyone make a hard push to hire him away from us. It tells its own story. Kansas looked and said no thanks. That’s all.

On a scale of 1-10, I’d say Mitch is around a 4 given his resources today, but j wouldn’t argue with a 4.5. And the only reason that is above a 2 is because smaller sports have done well enough to raise it, but make no mistake, he’s been below average where it matters. The way he’s handled our most important sport is a fireable offense by itself. Could you see Alabama football allowing him to continue after making those hires and locking in those contracts? No way, he’d have been fired a long time ago.

Reactions: Ky_Bred_Cat
It is not fair to bring in a new AD and tell him he has to fire Cal. This is on Mitch, this is his mess, he needs to clean up the men's basketball program before he leaves here. It is the most important sport at Kentucky and it is at an all time low right now.
I dis agree respectfully. I think bringing in a New
Should Mitch have canned Cal .. yes or at least not do a state run propaganda TV show with him
But I believe Mitch did not make the decision to not fire Cal I believe the President and board had final say

The contract in 2019 for ten yr extension did not look bad at the time

Stoops has us competitive admittedly overpaid based on performance

Elzy was a lazy hire and a disaster - she had no head coaching experience

Other programs are flourishing on campus I wanted baseball coach fired Mitch hung with him and he’s taking off
Look at all the sports in total he’s done pretty damn good
Stoops is overpaid because Cal said we are a basketball school. So Cal’s mouth cost us a bunch there also .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT