ADVERTISEMENT

This NIL and Portal thing has spiraled out of control

Like i said in another thread. NIL should be limited to sports merchandise your school sells, with your name or likeness on it. Such as jerseys, t shirts, posters, etc. That's what NIL was created for.

Now people are getting multi million dollar endorsements, doing commercials for car dealerships, etc. It's totally out of control.
A lot of female gymnasts and female volleyball players don't even do that.😆

Don't blame them. I'd be posting butt pics all day on social media if it meant I got paid more.

PPBL Pay for Play Basketball League. It's an absolute circus. Nobody cares about which school they go to. It's all about who can write the biggest check. It's gotten a ton worse this year.
Yes!! Now throw that idiot Jerry Jones in the mix just lobbing money at kids and it's a free for all.
There definitely needs to be some guard rails for this program. It's ruining if it hasn't already ruined the game.

'You can't tell these kids how much they can earn!'

- People who caused this whole mess, probably.

That's exactly what they are going to argue and the courts will agree with them unless there's an anti-trust exemption given via Congress OR a collective bargaining agreement with that in said agreement.

But even unionization is tricky. Like do ALL athletes across all NCAA sports unionize? Is it just players in a specific sport so you have sport-by-sport unions like we see for MLB, NHL, NBA, etc.? And then do men and women have their own unions inside said sports too? The headaches just grow...

Players would have to unionize and collectively bargain. You can't have a salary cap without collective bargaining.
I have a hard time seeing how these players could unionize and collectively bargain given that the majority can barely even string a coherent sentence together during media duties. This will quickly steer back to exploitation of player - labor again just watch. These guy aren't smart enough to manage their own brands so they'll bring in snake handlers to make this process even dirtier.

Absolute BS. “Control they deserve”. Victim mentality is finally fully implemented.
Victim mentality? Those complaining about the recent changes in college basketball have the victim mentality.

College athletes in division one have benefited immensely over the years. Especially now that a college education is 6 figures.
College athletes in the Power 5 have benefited, but quite disproportionally, from the revenue they directly create.

Should they have NIL? Sure. But has not a damn thing to do with school. If your image and likeness is that valuable then go market yourself on your own. No school involvement. That’s what grown ups do.
The grown-up school boosters (collectives, car dealership owners, Walmart executives, etc.) are paying the NIL to associate with a school that is good for their business. That's the story they're all sticking to. No one ever said the schools were involved (we'll they're involved, just not paying). ; ) All I said is that the schools profited in so many ways off of these kids, with a much greater return to the schools than the kids. It was time for the kids to share in those outside opportunities directly.

Schools are not making money. They are subsidizing non revenue sports. That’s it. There is no money to share. I hate this “what they deserved mentality”. So uninformed
lol... Power 5 schools are losing money in spite of their Olympic sports. So uninformed.

I have a hard time seeing how these players could unionize and collectively bargain given that the majority can barely even string a coherent sentence together during media duties. This will quickly steer back to exploitation of player - labor again just watch. These guy aren't smart enough to manage their own brands so they'll bring in snake handlers to make this process even dirtier.
It is not in the best interest (currently) for the players to unionize.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT