ADVERTISEMENT

This NIL and Portal thing has spiraled out of control

I feel like an NIL cap that’s similar to a salary cap in pro sports is coming. At least it should be. Have no clue how you would regulate that though
Hopefully, there'll be a cap on NIL money. This BS about doubling whatever offer "X" school gives kids, whether true or not, is already old. Plus, it puts colleges in states like Kentucky at a disadvantage since we don't have the economics (and thus possibly boosters) of schools in New York, Texas, California, etc....

I feel like there could be a cap on number of transfers as well. The number of kids on their fifteenth school right now is insane. Hell, a wide out transferred in to Kentucky FB four months ago and is already back in the portal. Maybe I'm just reading into it too much, but I feel like there needs to be some program loyalty enforced with collective bargaining. Of course, still allow free transferring if a coach leaves.

College athletics is in a sorry state right now.

I feel like an NIL cap that’s similar to a salary cap in pro sports is coming. At least it should be. Have no clue how you would regulate that though
Right, Arkansas boosters have enough to pay and get literally anyone they want. 10 million to the best player, no problem. The waltons are worth a quarter of a trillon dollars together. Like what percent is 10 mill of 250 billion lol it is literally pennies to them, meanwhile fans go on about the crafts on here who aren’t even close to as rich as them. If they don’t win next year they will just buy the all american team from next year if they want 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yep, and UK has no choice but to keep the pace and lead the charge!

Now the mega boosters have a new “keeping up with the Jones’” hobby…

Outbidding other rich people in the NIL Auction House 🤣

Reactions: rabbitTown
Players would have to unionize and collectively bargain. You can't have a salary cap with collective bargaining.
Dartmouth's men's bb team unionized in March. The University announced that it will not recognize or negotiate with the union, which will likely impel the union to file unfair labor practice charges with the NLRB. Ultimately, the case will snake its way up to a federal appeals court, with a final decision probably only being rendered in 2-3 tears. My educated guess is that players will be unionized in the fullness of time and there will be a CBA. In the meantime, it's the wild, wild west.

You are all complaining because we've done a terrible job adapting and managing change. It's selfish crocodile tears.
Cal got all this started and fundamentally turned the corner on UK basketball, with his one-and- done to the NBA system... most of you ate it up.
Things aren't going back, and the kids are finally getting the $$, control, and power they deserved all along.

Right, Arkansas boosters have enough to pay and get literally anyone they want. 10 million to the best player, no problem. The waltons are worth a quarter of a trillon dollars together. Like what percent is 10 mill of 250 billion lol it is literally pennies to them, meanwhile fans go on about the crafts on here who aren’t even close to as rich as them. If they don’t win next year they will just buy the all american team from next year if they want 🤷🏻‍♂️
I don't believe the Waltons are very involved if at all in NIL.

PPBL Pay for Play Basketball League. It's an absolute circus. Nobody cares about which school they go to. It's all about who can write the biggest check. It's gotten a ton worse this year.
College ball is no longer an non pro sport, hell if the feds don't step in pretty soon guys like Jerry Jones will be buying teams.

That’s why it’s a misconception that teams won’t be able to compete with SEC and Big 10 (who stink) teams, and you’re seeing it with UConn. How much money you make on your TV contract is irrelevant if you can’t use it to pay players. It ends up going to stadium renovations or higher coaches salaries, which is nice, although only one factor in how desirable a school is for coaches. St. John’s has that guy Repole who is friends with Rick. Just need one guy willing to write a check as long as schools aren’t paying players directly. If they were, we’d have a big advantage over teams like UConn or St. John’s.

There was a solution to this…for colleges/NCAA to stop pursuing college athletics as a for profit venture. Once profit became central, then the people generating that profit had to be included.

Reactions: KYExtemper
PPBL Pay for Play Basketball League. It's an absolute circus. Nobody cares about which school they go to. It's all about who can write the biggest check. It's gotten a ton worse this year.
I agree. We essentially have a fancy G League franchise but one without the deep pockets. You see the compromise in the headlines: "Jerry Jones is going to outbid Kentucky for any player." The only thing missing now is a collective bargaining agreement and that is probably not far off. It is no longer what we would like to think it was (but it probably was not close to that even back then).

Reactions: blubo and UKortho
I agree. We essentially have a fancy G League franchise but one without the deep pockets. You see the compromise in the headlines: "Jerry Jones is going to outbid Kentucky for any player." The only thing missing now is a collective bargaining agreement and that is probably not far off. It is no longer what we would like to think it was (but it probably was not close to that even back then).
I fear UK will be at a huge disadvantage related to the number of wealthy boosters at other schools. Thats the source of funds that will decide where the good players go.

The current system just changes the whole paradigm of recruiting in general.
You felt good when a HS player " chose" UK over other schools.
Now it's like you won an auction for a player.
I'm all for UK getting the best players but you kinda feel like portal guys are using this opportunity to go " pro" so to speak when they move from a Dayton or Drexel up to a program like UK.
I think their heart is still with their old college team but this gives them the chance to cash in before their eligibility expires.
For me as a fan it's hard to get excited.

I fear UK will be at a huge disadvantage related to the number of wealthy boosters at other schools. Thats the source of funds that will decide where the good players go.
UK is one of the few programs that really cares about basketball. I think our NIL for basketball will always be among the strongest in the nation for that reason alone. Football will eat up most of the NIL $$$ at other schools because this is the sport they value most.

as long as we love basketball and we donate NIL and the big donors do..... us blue bloods and top programs will be getting ours. the ones screwed are the programs 26th-300 something ...

As the portal and NIL gets crazier, it's definitely tuning down my interest in college athletics, just like how the spat over money between pro golfers with the PGA & LIV has killed my interest in that sport.

Anyone that supports this crap in the name of "capitalism" is just drunk on corporate Kool-Aid. Or they are business owners who love the power of capitalism to continue padding their bottom lines (all while treating their staff like throw-aways expecting them to be loyal, but not returning the favor).

The trade portal being open to every year without restrictions is what is going to kill college sports. Everyone used to make fun of Kentucky's one-and-done model - even our own fans - due to having to revamp a roster every year and not getting any long-term connections with the players. Well, now other fans get to experience the misery because every year half of each roster is going to jump into the portal for a bigger payday, even if their stats don't support a bigger payday.

Won't be long (if not already) we'll have wacky fantasy leagues around college sports.

Money is blowing up everything. It kind of already had, but now it's ramped to a completely different level.

You are all complaining because we've done a terrible job adapting and managing change. It's selfish crocodile tears.
Cal got all this started and fundamentally turned the corner on UK basketball, with his one-and- done to the NBA system... most of you ate it up.
Things aren't going back, and the kids are finally getting the $$, control, and power they deserved all along.
Absolute BS. “Control they deserve”. Victim mentality is finally fully implemented. College athletes in division one have benefited immensely over the years. Especially now that a college education is 6 figures. Should they have NIL? Sure. But has not a damn thing to do with school. If your image and likeness is that valuable then go market yourself on your own. No school involvement. That’s what grown ups do. Schools are not making money. They are subsidizing non revenue sports. That’s it. There is no money to share. I hate this “what they deserved mentality”. So uninformed

I don't believe the Waltons are very involved if at all in NIL.
Most of their money goes to booze. Alice Walton also refused to pay a moving company some measly amount, like $1,500, for moving some of her belongings. They are all tight wads.

Like i said in another thread. NIL should be limited to sports merchandise your school sells, with your name or likeness on it. Such as jerseys, t shirts, posters, etc. That's what NIL was created for.

Now people are getting multi million dollar endorsements, doing commercials for car dealerships, etc. It's totally out of control.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT