ADVERTISEMENT

This is last years team without Ray Davis…?

YaketySax

Senior
Jun 28, 2018
Only two games into the season disclaimer.

I don’t see much improvement. I see like-for-like transfers replacing departed players without significant upgrades. What I do see is a playmaker like Ray Davis missing. Someone who can torch Florida and UofL. Someone who can be relied upon for making plays when needed and overcome average OL play.

Is the recent recruiting as good as the ratings services say or worse? Is the development phase (position coaching, strength program, etc.) slacking or are we in a bridge year (ex. Patterson will be a good RB after a year in the weight room)?

6 win team with this schedule.

If there’s something to this then: what does this say about last years team and broader recruiting/development?

Recruiting evaluation is successful on only one side of the ball.

We have a good defense.
The best ranked players on defense are on the field.

We have a bad offense.
We might vhave gotten more high ranked recruits here But 4 out of every 5 of those are no longer on the team and never contributed. And they didn't contribute anywhere else. So coaching shouldn't get a pass, but I gotta look at who we bring in more.

Well...Liam Coen is no longer the OC is the bigger issue guys....love the way he left or not....the offense scored 29pts a game last year. So the guy knows how to develop an offense.

I thought going into the heat that we probably need to OL to make it

Here’s what I know- UK has a 3rd year starter that graded out to a 49.1 by PFF

Let that sink in and marinate.

This is the worse OL in last 4 years. Even our best OL M. Cox has looked bad this season.

Well...Liam Coen is no longer the OC is the bigger issue guys....love the way he left or not....the offense scored 29pts a game last year. So the guy knows how to develop an offense.

The offense did not score 29ppg. The team did. Thats an important difference. Defense and special teams had very nice seasons and contributed mightily when not directly scoring themselves.

That said, coen was elite his first run. Last year he was really really good but should've been way better.

For example, he barely used ray davis despite his insane td per touch ratio.

• Love
Reactions: The-Hack
The offense did not score 29ppg. The team did. Thats an important difference. Defense and special teams had very nice seasons and contributed mightily when not directly scoring themselves.

That said, coen was elite his first run. Last year he was really really good but should've been way better.

For example, he barely used ray davis despite his insane td per touch ratio.
Granted I know Max had 2 pick sixes....DJack had a pick six vs. MSU.....these things are random but i'd argue the points per game is a wash year over year. Each season has some defensive scores/short fields generated due to TOs.

Coen didn't have as good a year in 2023 vs. 2021...but he still put up a solid offensive unit in 2023.

All we lost was Leary, Flax, Ray Davis and Tayvion....the rest are the same kids with a portal Tn starter to replace Flax. Brock to replace a decent Leary. Maclin to replace Tayvion. Only Ray Davis can I argue we didn't' get as good a player on paper to replace in Traynum.

And there is zero reason Key, Brown, Dingle, Anderson, M Cox, E Cox, Jager, Demi, etc... to have improved from last year.

The only rational argument is Bush Hamden/Wolford is a sizeable dropoff from Coen/Yenser....adn I'll argue it's really Coen vs. Bush the dropoff morese than Yenser vs. Wolford.

I’m less interested in X’s and O’s. Not that they don’t matter, but I think the jimmy’s and joe’s mean more at CFB level. The offense is down a transformational playmaker who arguably won the UofL game for UK. He also opened up the Florida game and gave breathing room.

Two game disclaimer, but I don’t see positional improvement elsewhere to overcome his loss. Either at RB specifically or across the offense in the aggregate. I thought the WRs were better this time last week but then I saw the OL and QB against SEC competition and im less sure.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Davis was outstanding last year....he made something from nothing on several of his big runs. That's why he's in the NFL

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT