ADVERTISEMENT

This is an issue right?

jcbu246

All-SEC
Gold Member
Apr 18, 2020
Found an interesting quote online about AAUs

"Winning is the end goal, but many times AAU embraces poor basketball habits of players such as, poor floor spacing, showy moves, ball movement, sloppy defense, lack of communication... the list goes on. Many coaches let the fundamentals of the game go to achieve a win"

Reactions: HagginHall1999
That quote makes no sense...how do any of the things listed help the coach “achieve a win"??

Just seems like AAU coaching is more about recruiting the best over actual coaching, then once they’re there trying to protect their egos/recruiting ranking instead of teaching them the hard stuff.

Reminds me of a certain coach and team this year in college ball....

That quote makes no sense...how do any of the things listed help the coach “achieve a win"??

Just seems like AAU coaching is more about recruiting the best over actual coaching, then once they’re there trying to protect their egos/recruiting ranking instead of teaching them the hard stuff.

Except the latter coach you mentioned tries to break those habits but didn’t have a normal schedule to do that this season.

Reactions: ncaaky and sk73
Except the latter coach you mentioned tries to break those habits but didn’t have a normal schedule to do that this season.

If he was serious about breaking BJ’s habits he’d use that bench (the one he promised to use back in 2013) when he shoots selfish me-first balls. Instead he treats BJ like he’s a fragile babe and worries about his heart.

Yep, AAU coaches are not coaches, they try to recruit the best/name players, get the highest shoe contract they can, spend about 10% of that on the team and pocket the rest(among other things).

Fundamentals all make sense once you get older. The boring monotonous drills you do growing up that seem like a waste of time are so important as you grow into your body.
These kids are just playing pick up ball

LMAO, the schedule is the cause now? You Cal fans are something else.
You mean to tell me these kids would get more out of playing Alcorn State than playing UNC or Alabama?
No, the real cause is Cal failed to return Hagans, JJ and EJ. His farm system is eating him and all he was able to do was bring in a 4* high school junior and a Creighton back up to run the most important position on the court.
Plus, his offense is awful and you can't defend that.
Cal screwed this up and he should have seen this coming years ago. He did nothing to adapt then and he still isn't now.

LMAO, the schedule is the cause now? You Cal fans are something else.
You mean to tell me these kids would get more out of playing Alcorn State than playing UNC or Alabama?
No, the real cause is Cal failed to return Hagans, JJ and EJ. His farm system is eating him and all he was able to do was bring in a 4* high school junior and a Creighton back up to run the most important position on the court.
Plus, his offense is awful and you can't defend that.
Cal screwed this up and he should have seen this coming years ago. He did nothing to adapt then and he still isn't now.

Sadly, every word of this is spot on. Great post.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT