ADVERTISEMENT

Things you want to see in the first game

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
Obviously, a comfortable win with no injuries. But, further than that...

1. Control/dominate the LOS on both sides
2. Getting in and out of the huddle and snapping the ball before we're in low single digits on the play clock
3. BV going through his reads on a few plays and hitting the 2nd or 3rd option
4. Consistent pass rush
5. Much tighter coverage from the DBs - no more 10 yard cushions
6. No dumb penalties - illegal motion, hitting a guy out of bounds, holding 15 yards off the ball, jumping the snap when it's 3rd and short, etc.
7. A comfortable enough lead that both Wimsatt and Allen get to play and actually run plays from the playbook vs straight handoffs and/or taking a knee. Let the 2nd and 3rd team guys run the offense!
8. Much better control of the middle 8 - no just-before-half scores by the opponent and prevent a long scoring drive coming out of halftime

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
Obviously, a comfortable win with no injuries. But, further than that...

1. Control/dominate the LOS on both sides
2. Getting in and out of the huddle and snapping the ball before we're in low single digits on the play clock
3. BV going through his reads on a few plays and hitting the 2nd or 3rd option
4. Consistent pass rush
5. Much tighter coverage from the DBs - no more 10 yard cushions
6. No dumb penalties - illegal motion, hitting a guy out of bounds, holding 15 yards off the ball, jumping the snap when it's 3rd and short, etc.
7. A comfortable enough lead that both Wimsatt and Allen get to play and actually run plays from the playbook vs straight handoffs and/or taking a knee. Let the 2nd and 3rd team guys run the offense!
8. Much better control of the middle 8 - no just-before-half scores by the opponent and prevent a long scoring drive coming out of halftime
Of all the things on your wish list i think the most unlikely is 7! Thats very very unlikely to happen. Coaches will say(maybe correctly) that bv needs all the snaps. Wimsatt might get a few, Allen not likely at all!

Simple for me, O-Line pass protect, run block, and Vandergriff hit open receivers. Those things happen, I will lose a lot of pre-season concerns for this team.

Last edited:
To look like a well coached and competent football team. Stay healthy and win the essentially pre season type game and then on to the real game against sc in week 2.

Southern Miss likely will lose their coach after this yr. He's been pretty poor there going into his 4th year. And they usually lose pretty bad.

-I want to see a balanced attack.
-I want to see a win something along the lines of 45-7........or 52-10. I want a convincing win both on offense and defense.

Of all the things on your wish list i think the most unlikely is 7! Thats very very unlikely to happen. Coaches will say(maybe correctly) that bv needs all the snaps. Wimsatt might get a few, Allen not likely at all!
Sadly, you're probably correct. For the life of me, I plain don't understand this 'strategy' at all. We all know that it's unusual for a QB to go a full season without getting nicked up or roll an ankle or whatever. Knowing that, why do we (and many other teams, to be fair) hesitate to put in the backups and let them do what they may be called upon to do later in the year? I can't imagine any coach getting pissed off if our 3rd string offense puts together a 75-yard drive against the opponent's 3rd string. If they do, screw 'em. You don't want our backups to score, that's your responsibility to stop them. Now, running a fake punt (Ole Ball Coach) or double reverse when you're up by 4 TDs is a dick move. But, having your backups running the offense they may have to run against Georgia's first team just seems like being prepared for the unexpected. Having a backup QB turn and hand the ball off 3 times or take a knee (thanks, Scang!) is just plain dumb. You can get backups live reps within the system without completely trying to run up the score.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT