ADVERTISEMENT

Thiero day to day

Smashcat

All-American
Gold Member
Mar 13, 2012

Adou Thiero is “day-to-day,” Florida status uncertain

Quietly lost in the shuffle of Kentucky’s blowout win over Illinois State was Thiero’s absence — “general soreness” was the official listing on the injury report, later confirmed as a minor back issue.

Where do things stand ahead of the Wildcats’ trip to Gainesville?

“He’s day-to-day, so I don’t know,” Calipari said Monday. “The players on Saturday had an individual work day, were off Sunday, then Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday are two-a-days. Thursday, we’ll scale back Friday, the day before the game. Then Saturday at noon, sold-out arena — it’s been sold out for a month. Florida, they’re waiting on us.”

Will he play in that matchup? Again, to be determined.

“Hopefully, Adou plays sooner than later,” he added. “But one guy’s misery is another guy’s opportunity.”

Reactions: Fox2monk
Agree. Because "general soreness" lasting more than a week is just wacky and makes zero sense.

Well as someone who had back spasms on and off throughout HS and college (intramural, etc.), I can attest that back spasms can last for weeks at a time, they can come and go in "spells" sometimes. His dad said it was back spasms, so it's just a matter of if he is still experiencing them after the break. Hopefully not!

We Thiero Starting because he is Not afraid to go get that much needed sure bucket we need to calm our team down and to get into the flow. Its frustrating to watch our start of our games with who we have starting now. IMO

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Well as someone who had back spasms on and off throughout HS and college (intramural, etc.), I can attest that back spasms can last for weeks at a time, they can come and go in "spells" sometimes. His dad said it was back spasms, so it's just a matter of if he is still experiencing them after the break. Hopefully not!
Evidently this is something he battles. I’ve seen him with some type of “device” on his back while on the bench in several games .

Evidently this is something he battles. I’ve seen him with some type of “device” on his back while on the bench in several games .
Anyone who plays like he does is going to have back pains and soreness.

Hopefully he's ready, need his toughness on the road for an SEC game

Once again, people here really need to watch some other sports to see that this happens everywhere else.

Tyreek Hill missed a game 2 weeks ago, he was expected to go most of the week and literally an hour before the game they held him out. There was no updted reports or the coach/player giving us a ton of info.. There's dozens of NFL players every week where you have no idea the extent of their injury. Bam Adebayo had a hip injury and soreness, he missed like 2-3 weeks yet at the time he had no time table for return. It was just day-to-day. Spoelstra never came out and told fans "He's out for this amount of time and not a day more or less"..

He had a back brace on as he sat on the bench the 2H against Louisville. It concerned me right away. Sadly, I suggested he might be out for a month since it's UK and we NEVER have a healthy roster anymore.

So tired of constant issues with these players. I randomly check different rosters and watch quite a lot of games and I’ve never seen anything like what we constantly experience with injuries. It’s gotten to the point where I’m certain we hold players out at times when when they’re ready.

Yup, more than half my life at this point since a middle school football injury. After I hoop it’s not a matter of if, but the degree in which I experience soreness. The sciatica that randomly rears its ugly head is the biggest concern, that puts me all the way out.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
So tired of constant issues with these players. I randomly check different rosters and watch quite a lot of games and I’ve never seen anything like what we constantly experience with injuries. It’s gotten to the point where I’m certain we hold players out at times when when they’re ready.
This literally happens everywhere, you just don't realize it because you're not paying attention to every minute detail of other teams. The post above you gives great examples.

If there's something to be annoyed about, it's that yes, Cal does seem to be a little OVERLY cautious. Could some of these guys have come back a week early, like Bradshaw? I think so.

But at the same time, this is his players-first approach and it's what helps get future recruits to come play for him. They know that Cal is is looking out for them. And maybe that costs us a win here or there because a player is held out an extra week.. but ultimately I think this practice is a net-positive. And who knows, maybe from a medical perspective, Bradshaw really shouldn't have come back any sooner. I can't say I KNOW that he could have come back a week earlier.

Tom Thibodeau was rated last in NBA coaches players want to play for. Know why? Because he grinds the shit out of his players. No one wants to play for someone who is disregarding their injuries and wear and tear.

This literally happens everywhere, you just don't realize it because you're not paying attention to every minute detail of other teams. The post above you gives great examples.

I do pay a decent amount of attention and I don’t think I remember a team with this many issues spanning this many years. And I definitely haven’t seen a coach lie about the situations as much as Calipari. It’s hard to ever know what to believe with him.

I do pay a decent amount of attention and I don’t think I remember a team with this many issues spanning this many years. And I definitely haven’t seen a coach lie about the situations as much as Calipari. It’s hard to ever know what to believe with him.

Is he lying? Or is he just not giving us info? Or further, does he really not know, or care to know, the extent of Thiero's back soreness, other than to figure out that he is going to miss some games?

And again, I've seen this happen elsewhere.. Heck, Duke did this with Tyrese Proctor just this very year! They went WEEKS without telling anyone what the injury is, aside from a lower body injury. No updates, no time table.

I don't love that it's this way, Like everyone else, I'd love to have more info. But for whatever reason, that's just kind of the way it is. It's not something Cal is specifically doing that others aren't.

Is he lying? Or is he just not giving us info? Or further, does he really not know, or care to know, the extent of Thiero's back soreness, other than to figure out that he is going to miss some games?

And again, I've seen this happen elsewhere.. Heck, Duke did this with Tyrese Proctor just this very year! They went WEEKS without telling anyone what the injury is, aside from a lower body injury. No updates, no time table.

I don't love that it's this way, Like everyone else, I'd love to have more info. But for whatever reason, that's just kind of the way it is. It's not something Cal is specifically doing that others aren't.

Calipari knows everything that goes on, top to bottom, the same as every UK coach ever has. He is very dishonest when it comes to this sort of thing, and has basically admitted it.

I can understand a little misdirection for scouting etc. But this seems to go well beyond that. I mean as we all sit here there is no way to know when Adou will be ready because of Calipari’s methods. It really shouldn’t be this way to this degree on a constant basis.

Whatever it is it isn’t going to change so there’s really no need in going back through it all. I just get irritated with it.

Calipari knows everything that goes on, top to bottom, the same as every UK coach ever has. He is very dishonest when it comes to this sort of thing, and has basically admitted it.

I can understand a little misdirection for scouting etc. But this seems to go well beyond that. I mean as we all sit here there is no way to know when Adou will be ready because of Calipari’s methods. It really shouldn’t be this way to this degree on a constant basis.

Whatever it is it isn’t going to change so there’s really no need in going back through it all. I just get irritated with it.

Then apply that same energy to other coaches. I'm literally giving you other examples of this, some of the examples with our own rival Duke. This isn't a Cal-specific thing no matter how much some want it ti be.

I don't think coaches are deep diving into a players back spasms. I think they see/hear their player is injured, the player then gets looked at by the team doctor, and then Cal gets that info. What more could the doctor have said here other than "It's likely back spasms, he likely needs some time off and it will be a matter of pain management"?

Coaches get this info and move on, there's a million other things to focus on than asking "Hmm, could my SF possibly play even though he's hurt? Let's spend energy figuring that out".

Then apply that same energy to other coaches. I'm literally giving you other examples of this, some of the examples with our own rival Duke. This isn't a Cal-specific thing no matter how much some want it ti be.

I don't think coaches are deep diving into a players back spasms. I think they see/hear their player is injured, the player then gets looked at by the team doctor, and then Cal gets that info. What more could the doctor have said here other than "It's likely back spasms, he likely needs some time off and it will be a matter of pain management"?
Most of the time you’ll see some misdirection with player injuries for scouting purposes. Duke does everything they can to get their players back on the court asap. Calipari is known to lie when there’s really no reason to, he handles player injuries unlike any coach I’ve ever seen. It’s not debatable and I’m not interested in debating it, it just gets irritating.

There is no comparison with how Duke handles their roster and how UK handles theirs.

No you don’t. This is completely made up.

Most of the time you’ll see some misdirection with player injuries for scouting purposes. Duke does everything they can to get their players back on the court asap. Calipari is known to lie when there’s really no reason to, he handles player injuries unlike any coach I’ve ever seen. It’s not debatable and I’m not interested in debating it, it just gets irritating.

There is no comparison with how Duke handles their roster and how UK handles theirs.

What proof do you have of this? They've had injured players in almost every recent season, where at least one guy was out for an extended period of time.

You're making shit up now to fit your narrative that Cal is doing some harm to the program.

Reactions: Seakat311
It's really quite pathetic to see people take up for Duke just to try and take shot at Cal. Especially going so far as to make shit up.

I almost want to summon Duke posters to come in and basically agree "oh yeah, this happens to us too, every year we have some injured player whose time table is totally ambiguous"

What proof do you have of this? They've had injured players in almost every recent season, where at least one guy was out for an extended period of time.

You're making shit up now to fit your narrative that Cal is doing some harm to the program.

Is this serious? If you’re this far out of how Calipari handles player injuries then there’s no bringing you back.

Cal would tell you he lies about player injuries for the player, not to harm the program, but have it how you wish.

I’ve been a UK fan far longer than you and I understand quite a bit about how we do things. and I’ve never seen a coach handle player injuries like Calipari. Never. Believe what you want.

And who’s taking up for Duke? I said they handle players differently than UK, and they do. One of those programs is program oriented, the other is player first. If you think this doesn’t mean anything when it comes to injuries you’re off course.

Is this serious? If you’re this far out of how Calipari handles player injuries then there’s no bringing you back.

Cal would tell you he lies about player injuries for the player, not to harm the program, but have it how you wish.

I’ve been a UK fan far long than you I would almost guarantee it, and I’ve never seen a coach handle player injuries like Calipari. Never. Believe what you want.

And now you're on to "well I'd almost guarantee it". We get it, you don't know if any of this is true and now you have to back track.

Adou and Reed are my 1A and 1B in terms of my favorite dudes on the team.

Hopefully he is good to go from here. He's a HUGE X-factor for us. Such a weapon.

And now you're on to "well I'd almost guarantee it". We get it, you don't know if any of this is true and now you have to back track.

Why do you have all of these opinions when you’re not even really a UK fan and have no idea how this works? I’ve seen you explain you just stumbled across this board and that’s fine, but some of us were raised in this and understand a lot about it. I can’t understand how someone who’s only paid attention to UK for a few years under Calipari can sit and think their opinions are as sure as you think you are. It’s pretty damn arrogant my man.

It’s just strange that you do this. I can clearly see you have no idea how UK has always handled injuries and how different is now vs. then. Calipari has also “essentially” admitted some things about this topic I don’t like.

You asked about Duke and I told you, Duke is program oriented like UK used to be before you jumped on our bandwagon and paid attention. They do not handle rosters and injuries the same as a players first type of program and coach.

I really don’t even know what you’re arguing about. I just get irritated at how Calipari handles things compared to past times and former coaches really. And no offense to you man, but you are not a real long term UK fan or alumni, it’s not in your family, so I don’t know why you throw your opinions around this board like you know what you can’t possibly know. And I’m sure you’ll take this post offensive and I don’t me it that way. I hope you enjoy UK, I just think you seem to go a bit too far sometimes with people whose families have been doing this for a very long time.

I’ve been a UK fan far longer than you and I understand quite a bit about how we do things. and I’ve never seen a coach handle player injuries like Calipari. Never. Believe what you want.

And who’s taking up for Duke? I said they handle players differently than UK, and they do. One of those programs is program oriented, the other is player first. If you think this doesn’t mean anything when it comes to injuries you’re off course.
Explain specifically how Duke handles players differently.
You do know that Kyrie sat out most of the one season he played and that was with K as coach.
You also know he healed up just in time for his pre draft workouts even threw in 28 pts in their first round loss.
I'm sure he cried all night.
With NIL and the portal, all programs are players first now.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Why do you have all of these opinions when you’re not even really a UK fan and have no idea how this works? I’ve seen you explain you just stumbled across this board and that’s fine, but some of us were raised in this and understand a lot about it. I can’t understand how someone who’s only paid attention to UK for a few years under Calipari can sit and think their opinions are as sure as you think you are. It’s pretty damn arrogant my man.

It’s just strange that you do this. I can clearly see you have no idea how UK has always handled injuries and how different is now vs. then. Calipari has also “essentially” admitted some things about this topic I don’t like.

You asked about Duke and I told you, Duke is program oriented like UK used to be before you jumped on our bandwagon and paid attention. They do not handle rosters and injuries the same as a players first type of program and coach.

I really don’t even know what you’re arguing about. I just get irritated at how Calipari handles things compared to past times and former coaches really. And no offense to you man, but you are not a real long term UK fan or alumni, it’s not in your family, so I don’t know why you throw your opinions around this board like you know what you can’t possibly know. And I’m sure you’ll take this post offensive and I don’t me it that way. I hope you enjoy UK, I just think you seem to go a bit too far sometimes with people whose families have been doing this for a very long time.

Lmfao, from the guy who joined 4 days ago. Now I'm curious, which banned poster are you?

I gave you facts, you gave me "Well I think so"'s.. don't confuse the two. I explained to you that not even a month ago, Duke left a large portion of Proctor's injury and time table to return, completely up in the air.

“He is recovering well,” Scheyer said, via Duke on X. “He just sprained it pretty good… I do know that he is attacking his rehab every day… We want to make sure that there is nothing limiting him. There is no rush. We want him to be right, as close to 100% as possible.”

They didn't even tell you what the injury even WAS until almost a WEEK after it happened. And you can read it from Duke fans right here: https://247sports.com/college/duke/...rese-proctor-injury-update--222393478/?page=1

Stop. Lying.

Duke is honestly the worst possible example you could use. They have had exactly the same type of situations as us.

Kyrie Irving, Amile Jeffereson, Harry Giles, Zion Williamson, Marques Bolden, AJ Griffin, Derek Lively, Dariq Whitehead, and now Tyrese Proctor.

Duke is honestly the worst possible example you could use. They have had exactly the same type of situations as us.

Kyrie Irving, Amile Jeffereson, Harry Giles, Zion Williamson, Marques Bolden, AJ Griffin, Derek Lively, Dariq Whitehead, and now Tyrese Proctor.
Don't forget Jalen Johnson basically quitting mid year.

Explain specifically how Duke handles players differently.
You do know that Kyrie sat out most of the one season he played and that was with K as coach.
You also know he healed up just in time for his pre draft workouts even threw in 28 pts in their first round loss.
I'm sure he cried all night.
With NIL and the portal, all programs are players first now.

It has seemed to me for a long time that Calipari does this different. Kyrie ended up playing at Duke after his injury man, we both know at Kentucky that would be highly unlikely.

Situations like sharpe, I personally believe Calipari knew the deal the entire time.

I won’t lie, I would have probably thought Kyrie was intentionally sitting out had that been UK. I’m definitely paranoid about how Calipari handles his rosters. I was extremely cautious and prepared for anything when it came to Bradshaw so…is what it is.

Lmfao, from the guy who joined 4 days ago. Now I'm curious, which banned poster are you?

I gave you facts, you gave me "Well I think so"'s.. don't confuse the two. I explained to you that not even a month ago, Duke left a large portion of Proctor's injury and time table to return, completely up in the air.

“He is recovering well,” Scheyer said, via Duke on X. “He just sprained it pretty good… I do know that he is attacking his rehab every day… We want to make sure that there is nothing limiting him. There is no rush. We want him to be right, as close to 100% as possible.”

They didn't even tell you what the injury even WAS until almost a WEEK after it happened. And you can read it from Duke fans right here: https://247sports.com/college/duke/...rese-proctor-injury-update--222393478/?page=1

Stop. Lying.
I like how you think this Proctor situation proves Duke will not push their players to the court more so than Calipari during and after injuries. I definitely believe Calipari lies about player injuries and holds them out longer than should.

Been around since the UKchat days my man. My family went to UK over generations and I’m a grad alumni. This board doesn’t mean what you obviously think it means. Been doing UK for a very long time.

You’re okay with me I wasn’t trying to be offensive. I just know that you have a lot of strong opinions regarding UK and you can’t possibly know how these things have worked to the degree you seem to pretend.

Even Pitino, he just seemed to handle it differently, save DA. But it’s not a big deal. Adou will be back and Bradshaw is playing, so at this point in Calipar’s career whatever man. I’ll take
you to your first UK game anytime you like this season or next. It’s just a disagreement.

Last edited:
It has seemed to me for a long time that Calipari does this different. Kyrie ended up playing at Duke after his injury man, we both know at Kentucky that would be highly unlikely.

Situations like sharpe, I personally believe Calipari knew the deal the entire time.

I won’t lie, I would have probably thought Kyrie was intentionally sitting out had that been UK. I’m definitely paranoid about how Calipari handles his rosters. I was extremely cautious and prepared for anything when it came to Bradshaw so…is what it is.

I like how you think this Proctor situation proves Duke will not push their players to the court more so than Calipari during and after injuries. I definitely believe Calipari lies about player injuries and holds them out longer than should.

Been around since the UKchat days my man. My family went to UK over generations and I’m a grad alumni. This board doesn’t mean what you obviously think it means. Been doing UK for a very long time.

You’re okay with me I wasn’t trying to be offensive. I just know that you have a lot of strong opinions regarding UK and you can’t possibly know how these things have worked to the degree you seem to pretend.

Even Pitino, he just seemed to handle it differently, save DA. But it’s not a big deal. Adou will be back and Bradshaw is playing, so at this point in Calipar’s career whatever man. I’ll take
you to your first UK game anytime you like this season or next. It’s just a disagreement.
Honest question.
How do you think you would do coaching today's players in today's environment?
Cal does right by the players and he was out in front of that but now it's the norm and it's expected everywhere.
You won't last in coaching being "old school" with the portal, NIL etc.

So on one hand, we have a player in Thiero playing in games with a back brace on. On the other hand, we have a player in Proctor sitting out several games with an undisclosed injury.

Likewise, with Kyrie, he came back to play, BUT so did Jared Vanderbilt AND Terrence Clarke.

Stop. Lying.

I was about to say I'd never seen this troll before.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
I don't think it's Calipari so much as individual players. For instance, Fredrick played after his dislocated finger issue. Same as PJ Washington. Same as Cason Wallace and his ankle/back and TyTy.

It's Wheeler and Sharpe. Those are the two 'selfish' players that Calipari protected for whatever reason.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT