ADVERTISEMENT

Theoretical space question

JonathanW

All-American
Jan 3, 2003
So with our current knowledge, it’s not possible for us to explore other galaxies or even solar systems. But theoretically if we could figure out how to travel at or near the speed of light we could reach a lot of them, although only a small fraction that exist without being able to travel way faster than the speed of light.

However I am thinking way before reaching the speed of light we would surpass our own ability to steer a ship to avoid planets and asteroids. But also near the speed of light would that make it not possible for even electronic guidance to work. I doubt we could design an electrical signal to be faster than light, and enough faster for then guidance manipulation/maneuvers to take place.

Or is the guidance possibility just another piece of the puzzle we are unable to conceive of yet?

So with our current knowledge, it’s not possible for us to explore other galaxies or even solar systems. But theoretically if we could figure out how to travel at or near the speed of light we could reach a lot of them, although only a small fraction that exist without being able to travel way faster than the speed of light.

However I am thinking way before reaching the speed of light we would surpass our own ability to steer a ship to avoid planets and asteroids. But also near the speed of light would that make it not possible for even electronic guidance to work. I doubt we could design an electrical signal to be faster than light, and enough faster for then guidance manipulation/maneuvers to take place.

Or is the guidance possibility just another piece of the puzzle we are unable to conceive of yet?

Did you roll it, pack it or eat it?

However I am thinking way before reaching the speed of light we would surpass our own ability to steer a ship to avoid planets and asteroids.
Most of Space is just that. Space. Notoriously empty blackness. If we are approaching the ability to travel anywhere close to light speed, we’d have to assume that navigation would have been figured out by then.

Reactions: RunninRichie
If a ship did reach the speed of light and traveled to a nearby star or galaxy, we’d almost all be dead before it returned.

The nearest star is 4.6 light years away. Back and forth, that’d 9.2 years for the crew, but on earth that’d be about equivalent to about 65 earth years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT