ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting THE WAR ROOM!

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
The dust is starting to clear a bit. Not as many players are still on the board as there were weeks ago. There have been wins and losses along the way, and here I'll try to draw some fair, honest conclusions.

The class does look better than it did a couple of weeks ago. I think there is a clear pathway to the kind of class that got Kentucky in the position that it's now in with sustained success and guys who fit the mold Mark Stoops is looking for.

** I like the running back duo they have in Kaden Moorman and Khalifa Keith. They aren't identical backs but they will probably take a speed guy in '24 you would have to imagine. It's a solid inside rushing duo that fits the mold of who Kentucky has been successful with.

** The WR class also appears to be shaping up into a very good group. Anthony Brown decides on 7/16 and we will probably have somebody there, I'm guessing either Jeff or myself. Kentucky is in very strong shape. Porter and Brown complement one another extremely well. Porter is maybe the best big outside receiver they've landed in quite some time all things considered. Brown is an interesting player. He comes off the line well but has been less a volume guy and more someone who slips over the middle and makes big receptions. He's not the YAC machine that Wan'Dale is but has some really good traits. Sound hands, good routes, quick off the line. Between Devin Hyatt, Karmello English, and some others, I suspect this will be as good a WR class as Stoops has signed.

** The OL class is interesting. Wood is a high ceiling guy more than a high floor guy at tackle but he is definitely in a tackle's mold with pass set potential. Austin Ramsey at 6'4 360 ish is a guard all the way and S&C will be big for him. Koby Keenum is a pure center prospect so in my mind they clearly have a tackle, a guard, and a center. Keenum should be regarded as the most sure fire prospect of the bunch and plays with a nasty streak. Remember he's one of the very first guys that Yenser identified and wanted to bring on. Very likely multiple year starter while the others are guys UK wants to work on. More more work to do on the o-line I would imagine.

** UK is now done with both tight ends and they are certainly complements in Lemaster (heavily in-line) and Jakob Dixon who is that Cummings type.

** Class is heavy on offense (8 of 11 so far) and in-state (5 commits).

** Nobody has told me that Woo Spencer is going to commit to Kentucky but I like where they stand. He's an Aspirations guy and while he has not done much traveling lately the fact that he camped at Kentucky with first-year OL coach Zach Yenser is a good sign that he wants the interest of UK's staff. With talk that they're going after him, he still needs to finish strong but I suspect this will be another four-star addition for Kentucky.

** I said a while back that I liked where Kentucky stands with four-star linebacker Grant Godfrey. I like him because he's a dog and plays bigger than he is. Might be a bit of a tweener but he's fast and aggressive playing around the box and I think he's someone who can play in space, too. On 6/20 I put in a FutureCast for Kentucky because of recent momentum for the Cats here. He has been quiet lately but my FutureCast is a statement about how I feel the recruitment favors Kentucky after the June visit period. I would make that pick again today but not saying it's over and done with.

** Have not heard anything new on Ohio linebacker Arvell Reese but last month the thinking was it would probably either be Ohio State (if he's a take) or Kentucky (if he's not a take in Columbus).

** Have not put in a pick for 4-star DL Kendrick Gilbert from Indianapolis. He confirmed to me this weekend that he did postpone a planned 7/7 announcement. Kentucky, LSU, Purdue, and Iowa were the finalists. Most I have spoken with believed that UK and LSU were the two most likely landing spots with there being a question as to where he is on LSU's board. That was one of the reasons for the optimism regarding Kentucky. The fact that he postponed doesn't seem terrible, but it does make me wonder if he's waiting for something else. He did not mention another date to me but did signal that he just wants some more time to compare various schools. Remember UK is targeting his younger teammate, 2024 QB Danny O'Neil.

** Maryland, Kentucky, Oregon, and Ole Miss are the top four schools for former Penn State commitment Neeo Avery, who would probably be an EDGE prospect for UK. I know UK was the first to offer but Avery has kept things very quiet so the most we know is UK is on the short list here.

** Georgia, Texas A&M, Syracuse, Auburn, Kentucky, and Penn State are the top six schools for OL Naquil Betrand, who has officially visited UK. I think we have to assume that for all practical purposes he is no longer committed to Colorado. He had a top 10 and UK made the top 6 so the Cats are definitely a short list option here. He seems to be trending toward a four-star ranking with all the interest he's getting.

** 4-star corner Ja'Keem Jackson is right at the very top of UK's overall wish list. If they could add him in the secondary that would be one of the biggest additions of the entire year. His brother recently transferred to Kentucky for track and field. Heard that last week and there has been some optimism related to it. UK, PSU, Tennessee, UF, Bama, and Auburn are the favorites in no order. Many believe the Gators could eventually prove difficult to beat but this is someone we are watching very closely.

** Folks have been talking a lot about IMG four-star WR Devin Hyatt. If he is the emoji guy then it is being kept really close to the vest. I know he has been to Kentucky before and when you're talking about a guy who has really gone quiet that's not nothing, as it was fairly recent.

** While Kaden Moorman has been a very energetic recruiter for Kentucky, UK's class hasn't been overly visible on social media compared to some other years. I think that's just the personalities of the guys that have been committed. Totally fine, nothing to worry about, just a product of who they had taken so far. Most of them don't do a ton of recruiting and it's not a group that tries to be flashy. I love the blue collar angle this group seems to have and I think that's an X Factor for this group, although you definitely want to see the class ranking continue to improve.

I do think you've seen with recent commitments they're starting to crank it up on social media and becoming more vocal with other recruits. Avery Stuart has a strong profile with other guys and has been vocal saying he's 110% solid and trying to get other guys. Moorman doing his usual thing. Koby Keenum is going to be out there helping them.

In summary, right now I am forecasting...

Anthony Brown to UK...high confidence
Kendrick Gilbert...no good feel on a favorite but UK is definitely very short list
Grant Godfrey...think UK is in the best spot
Woo Spencer...solid confidence
Ja'Keem Jackson....worth watching
Arvell Reese....good shot but watch OSU
Neeo Avery...short list
Naquil Betrand....short list
Devin Hyatt....watching closely

At the very least, the class now looks something more similar, big picture in its outlook, to what we have seen in other UK classes with Stoops so it appears the floor is being raised significantly as dominoes fall and we get a better idea.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News