ADVERTISEMENT

The utter irrelevance of the Big Ten

Amazingly, you are actually making the Big Ten look better by starting in 2000 - the LAST year a B-10 team won in basketball, and picking up one football title by Ohio Sate in 2002.

If you make it the last 20 years - starting with the seasons commencing in 2002-2003 -- the number is ZERO college basketball titles, ZERO college baseball titles, ZERO women's basketball titles and ONE college football title.

One title in four highest revenue sports for the entire freaking conference in 20 years!

Consider some of these shameful records dating back 30 years or more:

College baseball: last won a title in 1966
Women's basketball ONE title in the entire history of the tournament, back to 1982
College basketball: One title since the 1980s...

A little better in football, aided by the fact that it was all subjective before the BCS playoffs. But still, one title since 2002-2003.

Last edited:
That's wild because SEC and Big 10 will be the last two standing eventually here......wow that's shocking.
It’s amazing how much TV markets matter. The reason they are so relevant is bc they have/will have the 3 largest TV markets in the country in NY, LA, Chicago. Throw in the eighth biggest market in DC and the 4th biggest market in Philly and they have 5 of the top 8.

When they grabbed Maryland and Rutgers in 2014, they pretty much cemented themselves to stay as one of the big dogs.

It’s amazing how much TV markets matter. The reason they are so relevant is bc they have/will have the 3 largest TV markets in the country in NY, LA, Chicago. Throw in the eighth biggest market in DC and the 4th biggest market in Philly and they have 5 of the top 8.

When they grabbed Maryland and Rutgers in 2014, they pretty much cemented themselves to stay as one of the big dogs.

That’s all good and well, but the bottom line is the conference still sucks ass on the court/field. I don’t care how much money it’s worth.

Big East is not only ahead of them, but they DOUBLE them with Uconn (4) and Villanova (2) at 6.
Actually, the BE is 2nd with 17 after adding Syracuse’s 2003 national championship & UCONN women’s 10 titles since 2000. So, the BE has nearly sextupled the B10 in that span (17-3). And, really, the BE is only competitive in men’s & women’s basketball. So, they’ve still dominated the B10 despite being all but irrelevant in football & baseball.

Episode 2 GIF by Star Wars

Actually, the BE is 2nd with 17 after adding Syracuse’s 2003 national championship & UCONN women’s 10 titles since 2000. So, the BE has nearly sextupled the B10 in that span (17-3). And, really, the BE is only competitive in men’s & women’s basketball. So, they’ve still dominated the B10 despite being all but irrelevant in football & baseball.

Episode 2 GIF by Star Wars

Oh jeez I wasnt even thinking of Cuse and womens.

That’s all good and well, but the bottom line is the conference still sucks ass on the court/field. I don’t care how much money it’s worth.
I agree that it sucks. I was simply replying to the poster who talked about the Big10 being one of the 2 conferences that will be left standing at the end of the day, despite their lack of success.

That's wild because SEC and Big 10 will be the last two standing eventually here......wow that's shocking.
We're hearing that eventually that we will have two 20 league super conferences, the SEC & the Big Ten. We might have two 20 league conferences. But we will have only 1 super conference and that will be the SEC. The Big Ten is the most overrated thing in the history of sports.

And yet when the NCAA brackets roll out they will have 10 teams in the tournament, take up 4-5 of the first 3 seeds and flame out the first weekend again. It's wash, rinse and repeat with them and the committee. I think at this point the committee has to be thinking "it's been 24 years they have to win one eventually don't they" so they keep over seeding them.

We're hearing that eventually that we will have two 20 league super conferences, the SEC & the Big Ten. We might have two 20 league conferences. But we will have only 1 super conference and that will be the SEC. The Big Ten is the most overrated thing in the history of sports.
The Dallas Cowboys are right there with the BIG10 on the overrated scale.
I swear Jerry Jones is paying all the networks to sensationalize them like they win the super bowl every year. ESPN can't go a day without talking about that has-been franchise.

The Dallas Cowboys are right there with the BIG10 on the overrated scale.
I swear Jerry Jones is paying all the networks to sensationalize them like they win the super bowl every year. ESPN can't go a day without talking about that has-been franchise.
I really thought they may do something last year but of course Dax and the offense choke again. The last play was pathetic too.

National Championships in the four major revenue sports (football, men’s basketball, women’s basketball, baseball) since 2000:

Sec 32
ACC 14
Big twelve 11
Pac twelve 9
Big ten 3

Can we just start calling it the power 4? That is pathetic.
Is women's basketball a revenue sport?
😄

• Haha
Reactions: Fox2monk
They’re cursed, but damn, they get more press coverage than the teams that are actually winning.
I think the main reason they get so much coverage even when they're not title contenders is the fact that they're the most popular NFL team. The Cowboys are (by far) the most valuable professional sports franchise in the world. They are #1 in merchandise sales every year and are #1 in total attendance every year by a wide margin. I don't know how they measure the size of teams' fan bases, but about every time you see studies or surveys about it, Dallas comes in at #1. There is a reason they call them 'America's Team'.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
Amazingly, you are actually making the Big Ten look better by starting in 2000 - the LAST year a B-10 team won in basketball, and picking up one football title by Ohio Sate in 2002.

If you make it the last 20 years - starting with the seasons commencing in 2002-2003 -- the number is ZERO college basketball titles, ZERO college baseball titles, ZERO women's basketball titles and ONE college football title.

One title in four highest revenue sports for the entire freaking conference in 20 years!

Consider some of these shameful records dating back 30 years or more:

College baseball: last won a title in 1966
Women's basketball ONE title in the entire history of the tournament, back to 1982
College basketball: One title since the 1980s...

A little better in football, aided by the fact that it was all subjective before the BCS playoffs. But still, one title since 2002-2003.
Didn't realize that at all. They compete well but don't win overall. They suck in other words.

Reactions: MdWIldcat55
They’re cursed, but damn, they get more press coverage than the teams that are actually winning.
I’m not a Dallas fan but do you see what they are worth…. The Cowboys are valued at 7.64 billion and the Rams are 2nd at 5.91 billion. That’s the reason you constantly here about the Cowboys ad nauseam . They are a $$$$$ maker.

Not be argumentative but the sources I see list ice hockey as the #3 revenue sport. With 4 B10 championships that improves it a bit. But the NCHC has 9 hockey championships between MN Duluth, Denver and North Dakota successes. CBS sports has an interesting ranking system that give most weight to football then men's BB then women's BB then two wildcard among next 7 most attended sports where schools get points for their two best sports. Seems fair for overall ranking versus Capitol One that gives equal weight to all sports and puts Stamford and UF at top every year. CBS ranking for 21-22 (latest available) Michigan was #1. ND #2. OSU #3. The B10 had 3 in top 10, SEC 3 in top 10 (if you count OK as SEC now it is 4). BTW UK is #15. Not bad.

Does the Big 10 now become the new "Conference of Champions" ?

Last edited:
Not be argumentative but the sources I see list ice hockey as the #3 revenue sport.

I should have worded that differently. Ice hockey doesn’t get 1/10th the national media coverage that women’s BB gets. After college football, men’s BB, and baseball, women’s BB is the most covered college sport. Hell, the women’s softball tournament gets 10x the coverage on ESPN as men’s ice hockey does. So again — in the sports the media thinks are important, the Big Ten is complete garbage.

Reactions: RunninRichie
And yet, in the end, the last two conferences standing will be the SEC and Big Ten.

It’s not about winning. It’s about money.

National Championships in the four major revenue sports (football, men’s basketball, women’s basketball, baseball) since 2000:

Sec 32
ACC 14
Big twelve 11
Pac twelve 9
Big ten 3

Can we just start calling it the power 4? That is pathetic.

If you would go back 1 decade farther, starting in 1990. The national championships in the 4 main sports that you listed football, men's basketball, women's basketball & baseball would be.

SEC - 47 National championships
Big10 - 5 National championships

Like I've said. We are probably headed for two 20 team conferences, the SEC & the Big10. But there will be ONLY1 SUPER CONFERENCE & THAT WILL BE THE SEC

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT