ADVERTISEMENT

The Ukraine war. (Yes, we'll mind our manners)

0% chance Russia hit any NATO asset or the news cycle would be 24/7 for a year.

At least 19 people stood up for the American taxpayer. It's mind boggling the level of money we sent over there. Why are we sending any? What strategic value is Ukraine to the world and more specifically to the USA?

Our nation is not currently in the position to be sending feel good money anywhere, let alone feel good 100s of billions
Russia is both so weak that it cannot beat the Ukraine and is an imminent threat to NATO. Both, at the same time. How ya like that snark, Hack? ;)

I am hoping that the US only gives such amounts of financial support to protect US interests and protect US citizens.

0% chance Russia hit any NATO asset or the news cycle would be 24/7 for a year.

At least 19 people stood up for the American taxpayer. It's mind boggling the level of money we sent over there. Why are we sending any? What strategic value is Ukraine to the world and more specifically to the USA?

Our nation is not currently in the position to be sending feel good money anywhere, let alone feel good 100s of billions
Does the House plan for increasing the debt limit include reducing aid to Ukraine? I for one don't see it. Tells me House Pubs not much upset by Ukraine spending.

SOP: Putin defenders post a clearly false propaganda comment such that when it's easily discredited, they can pivot to claiming western info is lies attempting to create a false equivalency. F-ed up I tell ya.

It’s dumbassery to call people Putin defenders or Nazi supporters for disagreeing with your position. In fact, it makes your position look weak. Let’s not be so “putulent.” (VH, I know you only know one speed and that is “attack” even when you grossly misperceive someone’s post, so this is only in response to your post. I don’t expect you to be sensible).

• Sad
Reactions: vhcat70
Does the House plan for increasing the debt limit include reducing aid to Ukraine? I for one don't see it. Tells me House Pubs not much upset by Ukraine spending.

Oh they aren't. Most pubs are all in on this insane spending spree. It isn't a politically divisive issue at least not in DC

Reactions: Caveman Catfan
SOP: Putin defenders post a clearly false propaganda comment such that when it's easily discredited, they can pivot to claiming western info is lies attempting to create a false equivalency. F-ed up I tell ya.

No my friend: you’re the one who thinks we have the moral authority to act around the world with impunity truth be damned. Hmt made a statement about something that happened. People were asking what he was talking about so I linked that Newsweek article that shot it down. You clown I posted that article that shot down his theory. See I can cut through the bs. I don’t eat everything I read like you do and I know what you read has been delivering lies based on the leaks. The false equivalency is coming from you. You’re so eatin up with hmt and the leaks that you over exaggerated hmt repeating of what he read or saw in a news site. I will take 10/10 times a message forum poster being wrong or lying over our government lies and cover ups. That’s right buddy you and your warmongering mouth breathers slurp propaganda from your own country no questions asked. And then you try to shame people with no power over what they saw or read. That means you hold individuals to a higher standard than our govt which is why the country is broken. What you are doing is the very definition of sheep. Follow the shepherd without question. It’s why we lost in the Middle East, why we spent trillions after 9/11 after financial crisis during COVID, getting steam rolled by China. You guys don’t get it or your too old to care about the generations to come. Like I said you are a victim of trauma from duck and cover drills. That’s all I can come up with when you let our lying intel community drag you around by your noses.

You guys claim @hmt500 isn’t a critical thinker. Lol. You guys with your one sided view points tell another guy he doesn’t think critically. That tells me the lovers of war don’t even know what that phrase means. 😂 you should go look it up and apply it to yourself.

You have a rough time discussing this issue without an edge and snark.
I might not win the congeniality award for the Ukraine thread, but I try to mix in a little humor, now and again, consistent with my magnetic personality!!!!!

Call me “judgmental,” and I will thank you for the characterization.

Russia is both so weak that it cannot beat the Ukraine and is an imminent threat to NATO. Both, at the same time.
An interesting and probative point, we’re it not for those who [generally] agree with you still insisting, even hoping Russia can win.

HMT5000 is quoted, above using the personal pronoun “we,” in a sentence describing Russian advances in Bakhmut . . . “We are looking better now.”

I’ve been bluntly told by more than one poster in this thread “the war is not going to turn out as you hope.”

So let me turn your irony backwards: Russia can invade and dominate the second largest country in Europe, and yet is not a threat to NATO . . . Both at the same time?

An interesting and probative point, we’re it not for those who [generally] agree with you still insisting, even hoping Russia can win.

HMT5000 is quoted, above using the personal pronoun “we,” in a sentence describing Russian advances in Bakhmut . . . “We are looking better now.”

I’ve been bluntly told by more than one poster in this thread “the war is not going to turn out as you hope.”

So let me turn your irony backwards: Russia can invade and dominate the second largest country in Europe, and yet is not a threat to NATO . . . Both at the same time?
It’s not a threat to NATO because NATO is vastly superior. This has never been in question.

Thus, the argument that we are defending Europe is false, and was know to be from the beginning.

Instead, we are defending a known kleptocracy for strategic reasons that nobody can articulate, at growing risk to our currency, world standing, and financial stability. We cannot borrow indefinitely, yet our elites are committing us to an indefinite defense of said kleptocracy. Our threat is in the Pacific, yet we are focused on a region that has little to do with us.

Ukraine is large geographically, but not the second most populace (7th for those keeping score at home). I don’t know that the physical size of the country matters. If Russia’s military is as weak as many here have touted, that would seem to better dictate whether Russia is a threat to NATO, rather than the size of Ukraine. If NATO wanted to keep Russia from attacking Ukraine, it could have accepted Ukraine into NATO when Russia advanced to its border and sat there for weeks with all of us knowing what was about to come. A cynic might say that NATO wanted Russia to invade.

If HMT5000 is a Russian, I will let him admit as much.

I don’t know what you are hoping for. Seems some here would love a protracted entrenched war that kills a lot of people we don’t know. Russia getting bogged down in another Afghanistan seems to be a good outcome for some.

Not being a Russian or a Ukrainian, nor having any known connection to those countries (I do have family still in Sweden, so I would not want a Russian threat to them or anyone else in NATO), I have two questions that appeal most to my sensitivities.

(1) What is the interest of the US and/or threat to the US? And,

(2) What course of action causes the most death?

Other questions that factor into these above:

Did our policies since the fall of the Soviet Union bait Russia into this action rather than send a clear message that would have precluded it?

Will Ukrainians begin to feel like pawns being used by the West if this drags on and no other country gets involved? Clearly, the powers in Afghanistan did not give us credit for supporting them against Russia. In 20 years, will we have a friend in an independent Ukraine?

With the economy in a flux here and people feeling the pinch, are we best serving Americans with our support (and, understand that the billions we are spending is not all cash) of Ukraine? How long before public sentiment slides toward the 19?

I am no isolationist, but do tend to believe we often hurt our interests by engaging as we do. Sometimes it seems what seems logical in the short term turns out to be harmful in the long term.

How is this a distraction from more pressing world events hurting the US’s place on the world scene?

Are European countries as invested as we are? And, I am not talking about the few, such as Poland, but the group.

It is easy not to give a crap about this, because it is a distant war. But, we hear bold statements from our President that suggest there is no way Ukraine loses and from Zelensky that suggest victory is not just a rebuff of Russia and continued independence. What is the ultimate objective?

You’re getting there!!

You’ll notice for all my “snarkiness,” I usually attack subjects of threads more bluntly than I do posters. [@Warrior Poet31 being a possible exception].
While I appreciate that you rarely attack posters, your zeal for a nuclear war could, and probably should, be construed as an attack against humanity itself and animals as well. No-one wins World War 3. As for Warrior Poet, I miss his objective analysis on this topic.

Reactions: Wildcats1st
FmdtOrbWQAAFcAe.jpg

Interesting picture. But Hitler DID attack us first, and, when he did, we declared war. His own attack was an idiotic declaration of war after we declared war against Japan.
I dont believe Hitler was ever going to attack america. Had Japan not hit us first. He never considered us a threat. He thought we were a nation of movie stars and cowboys. Until Patton and his army was on his doorstep with the russians.

BTW, Putin isn't Hitler. Nor was Saddam Hussein, nor was Milosevic. Hitler comparisons are lazy. This is 1970 or 1914, not 1938, historically.

Yeah this is a problem. Everytime someone throws out the hitler comps you know that person has become a robot. Also this logic of applying what’s happening today to ww1 or ww2 that logic is flawed. Learning from history doesn’t mean do the exact opposite of what you thought you did last time.

Each conflict is nuanced to its time. For instance appeasement. Appeasement was a bad thing blah blah blah. Makes me want to vomit. First we don’t know what would have happened if “appeasement” hadn’t occurred? You could have had a much more complex conflict or worse the soviets run through Europe.

The other thing never considered is this. Nuclear weapons. Can you imagine if a nuclear or multiple nuclear armed nations started arming Iraq and Afghanistan while we had our military in there? What would have our response been? The USSR tried to put nukes in Cuba and we took it to the brink of all out war because of it. This is extraordinary for the USA to be involved so directly with Russia (in their backyard) and it’s not gonna end well. Then will historians say “don’t push nuclear armed dictators too far”? Will we back to full on appeasement. Idiots the people leading this are idiots. They think in absolutes and it’s slowly doing the world in. We have full focus on a European problem while China back doors us and is taking over Latin America.

I dont believe Hitler was ever going to attack america. Had Japan not hit us first. He never considered us a threat. He thought we were a nation of movie stars and cowboys. Until Patton and his army was on his doorstep with the russians.

Hitler was a nice guy he was happy with his borders and he adored the Jewish people. He never sent a virus to America like China that’s for damn sure. Lock downs didn’t even matter because the Chinese were dropping that shit from weather balloons. Jokes on us!

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
What attack?
A declaration of war. Once he inexplicably made that decision, that's an attack. You declare war on America, and it's a war. If he doesn't foolishly do that, and historians are somewhat baffled by his decision, it would have been a war against Japan after Pearl Harbor.

Hitler was a nice guy he was happy with his borders and he adored the Jewish people. He never sent a virus to America like China that’s for damn sure. Lock downs didn’t even matter because the Chinese were dropping that shit from weather balloons. Jokes on us!
What Is It Reaction GIF by Nebraska Humane Society

A declaration of war. Once he inexplicably made that decision, that's an attack. You declare war on America, and it's a war. If he doesn't foolishly do that, and historians are somewhat baffled by his decision, it would have been a war against Japan after Pearl Harbor.
That is not an attack and the U-boat threat was reason enough.

This guy is a Ukrainian propagandist. It’s like linking the the Twitter of Russian propagandist.

This is the guys post pinned from march 18.

“The russian invasion of Ukraine has been defeated. It's a fiasco, debacle, disaster that can't be salvaged.”

When someone makes a statement like this while 1/4 of their country is occupied you can’t believe anything they say.

The other that mega lib JL linked also was awful. That girl is cheering on transgenderism or whatever and has written 3 books on fascism. She’s a far leftist based on her posts. Can’t we get some stinkin independent voices. Seems like they have all clammed up not knowing what to expect yet this Ukrainian propagandist and far leftist know. No actually it’s wishful thinking.

Meanwhile today in an interview Seymour Hersh that Russian shill says he has evidence Ukraine is selling our arms on the black market.

This guy is a Ukrainian propagandist. It’s like linking the the Twitter of Russian propagandist.

This is the guys post pinned from march 18.

“The russian invasion of Ukraine has been defeated. It's a fiasco, debacle, disaster that can't be salvaged.”

When someone makes a statement like this while 1/4 of their country is occupied you can’t believe anything they say.

The other that mega lib JL linked also was awful. That girl is cheering on transgenderism or whatever and has written 3 books on fascism. She’s a far leftist based on her posts. Can’t we get some stinkin independent voices. Seems like they have all clammed up not knowing what to expect yet this Ukrainian propagandist and far leftist know. No actually it’s wishful thinking.

Meanwhile today in an interview Seymour Hersh that Russian shill says he has evidence Ukraine is selling our arms on the black market.
The first casualty of war is the truth.

I dont care for her politics but she's a lot more than that.

Not really. I mean there are a lot of cuckoos who went to the naval academy. That’s pretty meaningless. I mean one of these capitol protestors is serving prison time he graduated from the AFA. Fighter pilots know how to fly planes. This girl wants to look like an expert and base it on her experience which is a dime a dozen. I think I could find several people with even MORE background than her that will give an opposing synopsis.

While I appreciate that you rarely attack posters, your zeal for a nuclear war could, and probably should, be construed as an attack against humanity itself and animals as well.
Hmmmm.

Give me a quote showing my “zeal for a nuclear war!”

As to your insistence that Hitler “attacked us first,” that’ll get you through high school history. But we had fired upon and sunk German vessels long before December, 1941.

“The first action between the U.S. and German navies occured on April 10, 1941, when USS Niblack (DD-424)neared the Icelandic coast to pick-up three boatloads of survivors from the Dutch freighter Saleier, which was sunk the previous day. When a submarine was detected preparing to attack, the division commander, Commander D.L. Ryan, ordered a depth charge attack, driving off the U-boat.”

Our direct firing upon German U-Boats and other assets in 1941 was a far greater direct participation in War than our current provisioning of Ukraine.

Last edited:
Did our policies since the fall of the Soviet Union bait Russia into this action rather than send a clear message that would have precluded it?
I would like to think we are that good, but accident and incompetence are always greater drivers of world events than actual planning or conspiracy.

The form of your framing of the question implies a simple truth: the mere existence this war has had profound positives for the West. Again, though, I think we kind of stumbled into it.

To answer essentially all of your questions, that are really the same question, “why should we care . . . ,” the answer is patently simple: we have two major nation states who have openly and repeatedly declared us and our “hegemony” their enemy, and also declared their deep alignment.

Hence, any distraction, limitation, humiliation, and/or defeat facing China and/or Russia cannot be considered other than to our strategic advantage.

Increasing NATO power and replacing Russian natural gas with American natural gas will have trillions of Dollars of influence the next 50 years, and all to the benefit directly to the US and our Allies.

And though the thought has occurred to
my cynical side that we might have had some genius (somewhere) capable of so effectively moving the chess pieces about to bring this to fruition . . . . I just don’t
think we are that damn good.

Lucky?

Maybe!!!! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: entropy13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT