ADVERTISEMENT

The Sum total of Auburn basketball history

I was at the Auburn game when Barkley dominated the twin towers Bowie and Turpin. Barkley hated UK as a player. If my memory serves me correct AU was the only D1 school that offered Barkley.

Reactions: H00SIER-Cat
I was at the Auburn game when Barkley dominated the twin towers Bowie and Turpin. Barkley hated UK as a player. If my memory serves me correct AU was the only D1 school that offered Barkley.

Years ago, Big Mel Turpin talked about how Barkley was constantly talking during the game. He then said, "He has a lot of loose lip." To this day, my wife and I refer to Barkley as "Loose Lips."

My memory is fading but as I recall in one game UK was roughing up Barkley and he responded in a way to get kicked out. He said that UK set him up and he took the bait. LOL

Years ago, Big Mel Turpin talked about how Barkley was constantly talking during the game. He then said, "He has a lot of loose lip." To this day, my wife and I refer to Barkley as "Loose Lips."

My memory is fading but as I recall in one game UK was roughing up Barkley and he responded in a way to get kicked out. He said that UK set him up and he took the bait. LOL
I can bet Barkley was a trash talker and we know he had a temper. If you remember early in his career he was always getting in fights in bars and getting sued. For his size when he was in college I thought he had the best hops of any player I had seen. It was after I graduated but I believe Barkley came to Rupp and the students all brought pizza boxes.

I too remember the Barkley years. In particular the first time the Cats played the Tigers I recall Cawood and Ralph poking fun of the freshman Barkley at the start of the game. Little did we know…

My memory is fading too, LOL, but I seem to remember Barkley and Charles Hurt getting in to a scuffle pretty early in a game and both were tossed. ???

My memory is fading too, LOL, but I seem to remember Barkley and Charles Hurt getting in to a scuffle pretty early in a game and both were tossed. ???

Barkley took exception to physical play by Hurt early in the game, and shoved Hurt in the back of the head and was tossed. Hurt remained in the game, and UK won 71-69

BTW, Hurt was no one to mess with. Chuckie would have gotten his butt whipped

Last edited:
Don't forget the 2019 final four courtesy of calipari. One of the most embarrassing ncaa tournament losses ever considering AU had a key player out injured.

2019 Final Four should be there. And honestly, Auburn should've played in the title game. UVA got bailed out by the refs as part of those 3 unreal finishes in a row to claim the title.

Reactions: H00SIER-Cat
I sum total of Auburn for me will always be their really strong team that had Virginia beat in the final four but blew it cause instead of playing defense on a last second 3 point shot , their guy fouled by crowding the shooter on his way down .

Pure Bruce Pearl.

Going by box scores, Chuck Person seemed more dominant statistically than Barkley for those Auburn teams.

Another poster said that Hurt wasn't tossed. But, it was Hurt who got Barkley tossed by design.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT