ADVERTISEMENT

The style we are playing

BBBLazing

Senior
Dec 30, 2009
Would Oscar help or hurt this team considering the style we are playing? Interested in thoughts. And no, I'm not bashing Oscar.

I’ve thought about this a lot. I go back and forth on it. But at the end of the day it’s hard to say no to the most dominant rebounder of our time. He cleaned up a lot man. Regardless of personnel, we are playing a different style of ball. So it’s easy to say it wouldn’t work with Oscar but that’s just because you havnt seen it. He would do just fine in this years lineup. Don’t blame him for Cal’s strategy last year. Of course We would have be swapping Mitchel’s outside scoring for Oscar’s inside scoring (and rebounding).

Don’t forget we are currently playing without a center and that will soon change so this question will be easier to answer in a few weeks.

I’ve thought about this a lot. I go back and forth on it. But at the end of the day it’s hard to say no to the most dominant rebounder of our time. He cleaned up a lot man. Regardless of personnel, we are playing a different style of ball. So it’s easy to say it wouldn’t work with Oscar but that’s just because you havnt seen it. He would do just fine in this years lineup. Don’t blame him for Cal’s strategy last year. Of course We would have be swapping Mitchel’s outside scoring for Oscar’s inside scoring (and rebounding).

Don’t forget we are currently playing without a center and that will soon change so this question will be easier to answer in a few weeks.
We could surely use the rebounding. Mitchell is as tall as Oscar, but allows us to play a bit different. It would be a good problem to have.

That's a very good question, first of all. Thanks for that. I am not 100% sure where Oscar would fit in with this team. I have nothing but love for Oscar and I hope he is very successful in his professional endeavors, but I don't think he would fit in with this team very well. Unless he learned to play the 4, like he should have all along. Oscar Tshibewe was never a center, though he played the part well, IMO.

The last two years were weird, quite frankly. We had one six week stretch where we looked unbeatable and outside of that, we looked like unwiped ass. I think Cal was trying to put a round peg into a banana shaped hole.

This season reminds me of some of the seasons we had for so many years where even if we didn't win the championship, as so many teams often fail to do, we are definitely in contention for it. We have a young team with very talented Freshmen, and we have some experienced players mixed in as well. We are playing so differently from the way we have played the last three years that it is difficult to reconcile. What is our 3 point percentage right now? I don't even know, but I know it is really high.

Anyway, to answer the original question, I don't think he would have hurt, but I am not sure he would have helped all that much because he would basically have to learn an entirely new style of playing. Perhaps he would excel in this current environment. But I think there would be a learning curve, for sure.

Interesting to me that Isaiah Jackson is playing for the Pacers but Oscar hasn't played in a game. He is killing it in the G League though. Jordan Nwora is also playing for the Pacers.

We don’t need a POY stellar offensive rebounder. I read it right here on Rafters.

If we don’t get the seriously lacking defense under control along with a stronger board presence, folks are going to be unhappy when we resume playing competitive basketball teams.

This question popped into my head for the first time last night.

Don’t attack.. but I do think we are better without him. Oscar wasn’t the same player last year as he was the year before. He was limited offensively and was a terrible defender and couldn’t protect the rim. Yes of course a team could always use his rebounding though.

With this team, I’ll take Tre all day and twice on Sunday. Just my opinion and I know many will disagree.

I love, love, love Oscar....but he would hurt this team. He's not a great passer, which has been key for this team. He was a terrible defender on ball screens. And his inability to shoot well disrupts the beautiful spacing we've seen on offense, which in turn prevents a lot of the cutting & easy baskets we've seen with this offense as well.

Oscar is the best rebounder I've ever witnessed & a great player but we could never play this type of game with him on the roster.

I must be a weirdo. I think he’d have been a perfect fit with the shooting we have. I don’t think he was the issue. It was the lack of scorers around him that hurt us.
Basketball is a team sport. Look at how well the ensemble plays together. Last night was the most together we've seen a UK team since at least 2017. Oscar was constantly getting on his teammates, complaining about passes. He required them to feed him. I probably should just shut up but the new offensive scheme works better without someone like that.

Basketball is a team sport. Look at how well the ensemble plays together. Last night was the most together. We've seen a UK team since at least 2017. Oscar was constantly getting on his teammates, complaining about passes. He required them to feed him. I probably should just shut up but the new offensive scheme works better without someone like that.

Could have just been the surrounding pieces not getting it done just as easily as it being his fault right? Not like any of them ever really did much except for Oscar.

Could have just been the surrounding pieces not getting it done just as easily as it being his fault right? Not like any of them ever really did much except for Oscar.
I'm sure there's some truth to that. Maybe a lot of truth to that. But the surrounding pieces last year were nowhere near what we have this year. This team is loaded offensively.

Reactions: Fox2monk and chroix
You heard it here first folks, we need a running fast center and not the best rebounder in maybe the history of the game. 😆
I loved the contributions Oscar made to the team. He appeared to be the young man that any parent would want. Oscar was an incredible rebounder; however, lets not act like Oscar didn't have weaknesses. Oscar wasn't a very good defender especially his screen and roll defense. Also, Oscar had sticky hands which would have prevented the ball movement we have now. As a rebounder, Oscar would have been superb, but Cal would have made him the focal point of our offense which would have killed us offensively.

I loved the contributions Oscar made to the team. He appeared to be the young man that any parent would want. Oscar was an incredible rebounder; however, lets not act like Oscar didn't have weaknesses. Oscar wasn't a very good defender especially his screen and roll defense. Also, Oscar had sticky hands which would have prevented the ball movement we have now. As a rebounder, Oscar would have been superb, but Cal would have made him the focal point of our offense which would have killed us offensively.

This isn’t Cal’s offense and he hasn’t adapted to modern basketball. What we are seeing this year is the benefit of adding Welch. I’m fairly confident Welch would not make Oscar the focal point but rather let Oscar play to his strengths. His strengths is exactly what this team is missing.

Oscar isn’t and can’t come back so there’s no need to fuss over it.

I love this team and the style of play. When we get a 7 footer or 2 back, most of our problems will be fixed. We have an exciting season ahead, folks!

Let's look forward to what might be rather than what could have been.

What might be is we have a rotation of three 7-footers - all of which can get up and down the floor and block shots (well, I know two can, not sure if Z is a shot blocker). And I say "might" because here we are knocking on the door of December and we have no clue when (or if) any of them will return.

Reactions: sefus12
This isn’t Cal’s offense and he hasn’t adapted to modern basketball. What we are seeing this year is the benefit of adding Welch. I’m fairly confident Welch would not make Oscar the focal point but rather let Oscar play to his strengths. His strengths is exactly what this team is missing.

Oscar isn’t and can’t come back so there’s no need to fuss over it.

I love this team and the style of play. When we get a 7 footer or 2 back, most of our problems will be fixed. We have an exciting season ahead, folks!
No one is fussing over it, just simply stating facts.

• Haha
Reactions: GoCats-GoHerd88
No one is fussing over it, just simply stating facts.

I must have missed the “facts”

Will you please provide those again?

I’ve provided stats for the past 2 tournament losses and Oscar has performed like one of the best big men we’ve ever had in both games and proved he can perform in the big games.

So please, let’s see your facts????

I must have missed the “facts”

Will you please provide those again?

I’ve provided stats for the past 2 tournament losses and Oscar has performed like one of the best big men we’ve ever had in both games and proved he can perform in the big games.

So please, let’s see your facts????
It isn't your first miss, so I am not surprised.

Oscar was painfully slow in getting rid of the ball after defensive rebounds. I never understood why. I would've shown him film of Wes Unseld and the outlet pass. This team rebounds and IMMEDIATELY looks to run and gets the ball to those that can. Oscar never did that. We had to wait on him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT