ADVERTISEMENT

The real scoop on Stoops to A&M

I find it highly unlikely that the boosters who shelled out $76 million just to buy the guy that left out would even allow the school to interview a coach they didn’t want.

That narrative makes no sense.

The fans revolting makes some sense but if a booster is willing to pay over $100 million or way more I would think they would be more involved in the process then finding out on Twitter that Stoops is the guy.

That notion is laughable.

It is also hard to believe that Stoops would turn down the chance to coach a team with talent enough to actually compete for a championship as well.

I doubt we will ever know the truth.

Not to mention what did Elko do that makes his hire any different than Stoops other than he was defensive coordinator there?

We just saw what one of Stoops’ worse seasons did to the 2nd best Acc team.

I find it highly unlikely that the boosters who shelled out $76 million just to buy the guy that left out would even allow the school to interview a coach they didn’t want.

The fans revolting makes some sense but if a booster is willing to pay over $100 million or way more I would think they would be more involved in the process then finding out on Twitter that Stoops is the guy.

It is also hard to believe that Stoops would turn down the chance to coach a team with talent enough to actually compete for a championship as well.

Not to mention what did Elko do that makes his hire any different than Stoops other than he was defensive coordinator there?

Not only interview him but offer him the job. The idea that the big boosters and board didn't know he was the one being offered the position is laughable. The media and average fan would be left in the dark and not know about the offer but not the big money guys and the board.

CMS was probably a candidate on a list of 10-20 who they started to look in to more and more as all the other candidates poo pooed them.

Anything beyond normal vetting process I guess nobody will ever know. Just depends on who you want to believe.

It does seem like every year as soon as we hit the SEC gauntlet and start to regress back to the mean of about 7 wins, and as the heat starts to turn up just a tad...other programs take interest in CMS.

I mean look how the narrative changed almost overnight. We went from fans, talking heads, articles, etc all kind of being the same ho hum 7 win tone, need to fix this and that, overhaul staff...to BY GOD WE JUST RETAINED THE MOST SOUGHT AFTER COACH IN THE COUNTRY...CMS TURNS DOWN BIG TEXAS FOOTBALL AND OIL MONEY FOR UK...

Might be a bit tin foil hattish of me...but isn't that funny?

Honestly, kudos to whoever may be behind that because it works. We won big twice in a 24-hour span. We beat UL and won a bidding war for a coveted coach.

Good for overall moral, good for recruiting. Someone somewhere knows what they're doing.

Kentucky Spin doctor Radio will say Stoops didn’t want the job
Well they may be right. I love how a bunch of randos on here think they have it all figured out. None of us know anything. KSR has a direct line to the coaching staff afterall. It was KSR that broke the news about stoops staying. I’d say stoops himself made that call to Jones. If not him, then marrow. Whether it’s the truth or not, that’s for each of us to decide. But stoops and his staff definitely control the narrative.

I love watching our fans melt down in jealousy over a local radio show.

Well they may be right. I love how a bunch of randos on here think they have it all figured out. None of us know anything. KSR has a direct line to the coaching staff afterall. It was KSR that broke the news about stoops staying. I’d say stoops himself made that call to Jones. If not him, then marrow. Whether it’s the truth or not, that’s for each of us to decide. But stoops and his staff definitely control the narrative.

100%

Yet, they all tune in to hear so they can call it a lie!

Sure sounds like stoops was ready to go but neither coordinator wanted to go with him.

Reading between the lines, nothing said by ksr, but I think a&m didn't want stoops if he didn't bring his key staff. I think that's where the entire thing fell through.

Going to be interesting moving forward in that staff because it sure seems like stoops didn't have the power play he thought.

Sure sounds like stoops was ready to go but neither coordinator wanted to go with him.

Reading between the lines, nothing said by ksr, but I think a&m didn't want stoops if he didn't bring his key staff. I think that's where the entire thing fell through.

Going to be interesting moving forward in that staff because it sure seems like stoops didn't have the power play he thought.
You think guys can have those family discussions and make those decisions in 3/4 hours?

FWIW, White’s wife and family love Lexington. It’s not just a one person decision.

You think guys can have those family discussions and make those decisions in 3/4 hours?

FWIW, White’s wife and family love Lexington. It’s not just a one person decision.
People don’t want to believe it but stoops has rockstar coordinators. Our defense was top 5 nationally under white last year and we landed 2 top level portal qbs and Ray Davis because of coen. All eyes are on stoops but they are all likely a package deal that looks attractive. They certainly did to TAM

It sounds like more, Stoops didn't want to go by himself, than A&M didn't want him without his staff. And without all his guys with him, it's way harder to make that move having to hire an entire new staff.

Yada, yada, yada. In truth, these folks have no idea about the facts of what happened.

Reactions: K86

Where has this been reported?

I don’t understand why the assistants would want to stay in Kentucky and rebuild while Stoops goes to get more rich in Texas.

I’m sure they would have gotten raises as well, and if they have aspirations of being head coaches they are going to have to leave Lexington one day anyways.

Being a successful coordinator at Texas an and m springboards you directly to a power 5 job or a high level mid job.

Being coordinator at UK rarely does that if ever.

• Wow
Reactions: catben

The man was never leaving. He has a good thing going on at UK if he can just ignore some of the fans when things are not going well. So in my opinion, Stoops will retire from this job.

You must have posted the wrong article, because there isn't anything in that article even close to what you're suggesting.
"Following the report, an uprising began among A&M fans via social media and A&M fan websites. The board became aware of the backlash and decided to nix the deal at the final hour."

Reading is hard, but revolt and uprising mean similar things. It's not a reach to think someone leaked the report.

• Haha
Reactions: Girthang
You believing Panthergram or Matt Jones who was hanging out with Vince Marrow all night Saturday and had Vince and Stoops call his show Saturday 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Seriously, anyone going with Panthergram needs their head checked

All this makes sense, can't see how the boosters are any more pleased with Elko than they were with Stoops. Stoops has more cred than Elko. In fact none of this makes sense from the A&M side of things, there are at least a half dozen coaches that should be choices before getting to either Stoops or Elko.

Reactions: Jont0805
"Following the report, an uprising began among A&M fans via social media and A&M fan websites. The board became aware of the backlash and decided to nix the deal at the final hour."

Reading is hard, but revolt and uprising mean similar things. It's not a reach to think someone leaked the report.
Reading is not hard. "The story from the A&M side was that a booster leaked it so that the fans would revolt against the hire. Went so far as to encourage to stop donating." is what you posted but nothing close to that is in the article you linked. So, that's what you believe but not what is in the article? Again, if I'm missing something in the article that says that, my bad, but I don't see that anywhere.

Reactions: Catluv
It sounds like more, Stoops didn't want to go by himself, than A&M didn't want him without his staff. And without all his guys with him, it's way harder to make that move having to hire an entire new staff.
Especially as peculiar as he is about style of play

That has a heck of a lot to do with it. Stoops would be leaving his two sons behind...that is always going to be a factor of him ever leaving until they are 18...I think Liam is pretty attached to LEX too. I don't know how many of you have ever been to College Station/Bryan...Ugh. It is nearly two hours to Houston. It sure is not Lexington and Central Kentucky. If you like LEX/CK, I can't imagine College Station/Bryan would turn anybody's handle.

That has a heck of a lot to do with it. Stoops would be leaving his two sons behind...that is always going to be a factor of him ever leaving until they are 18...I think Liam is pretty attached to LEX too. I don't know how many of you have ever been to College Station/Bryan...Ugh. It is nearly two hours to Houston. It sure is not Lexington and Central Kentucky. If you like LEX/CK, I can't imagine College Station/Bryan would turn anybody's handle.
Stoops boys live with their mom in Colorado.

Reactions: K_TIME
Where has this been reported?

I don’t understand why the assistants would want to stay in Kentucky and rebuild while Stoops goes to get more rich in Texas.

I’m sure they would have gotten raises as well, and if they have aspirations of being head coaches they are going to have to leave Lexington one day anyways.

Being a successful coordinator at Texas an and m springboards you directly to a power 5 job or a high level mid job.

Being coordinator at UK rarely does that if ever.

The first part was on ksr this morning. Lord knows I don't like Jones but I'm also objective enough to realize he has top tier connections to the football staff. The reason the deal fell through was because his key staff didn't choose to follow.

From there, who called off the deal is anyone's guess but my speculation was a&m called it off. It's like any other small team/business acquisition, key employees are an essential part of the package. If they aren't coming then the package isn't attractive.

I'm curious why the key staff (presumably white and coen) said no. Was it because they didn't want to leave? Because the administration was making strong offers? Or simply because they didn't want to make a major life decision in a few hours time?

Reactions: Jont0805 and catben
Reading is not hard. "The story from the A&M side was that a booster leaked it so that the fans would revolt against the hire. Went so far as to encourage to stop donating." is what you posted but nothing close to that is in the article you linked. So, that's what you believe but not what is in the article? Again, if I'm missing something in the article that says that, my bad, but I don't see that anywhere.
Listen, I'm not posting every article I read about the matter. If you're that interested, you google it. Fact remains there was pushback from the Board and that's why the deal fell through.

The first part was on ksr this morning. Lord knows I don't like Jones but I'm also objective enough to realize he has top tier connections to the football staff. The reason the deal fell through was because his key staff didn't choose to follow.

From there, who called off the deal is anyone's guess but my speculation was a&m called it off. It's like any other small team/business acquisition, key employees are an essential part of the package. If they aren't coming then the package isn't attractive.

I'm curious why the key staff (presumably white and coen) said no. Was it because they didn't want to leave? Because the administration was making strong offers? Or simply because they didn't want to make a major life decision in a few hours time?
The question I have about staff having this influence is that if they don’t go and stoops goes they are likely going somewhere else anyway. I mean sumrall would be a hire that might keep them but not even a guarantee with that.

Here's some help:

" Leaks happen before official announcements are made and in this case, it appears Texas A&M may have dodged a major bullet given the external — and internal — backlash that begin to unfold when Stoops to College Station began to materialize."

OK..so, opinion. Thanks!
There wasn't much of a way for A&M to not look bad in this situation. They either admit they caved to fans and boosters and reneged on the offer to the coach they really wanted, they admit a UK coach turned down the Mighty Aggies to stay at lowly UK or they could somewhat save face and make it sound like they couldn't come to an agreement. For some reason they are choosing to play the caved to fans and boosters story.

Really. Thanks for sharing that. I figured seeing them at games with hi that she still lived in Lexington.
His wife moved out there after their divorce and based on his profession and lack of free time, it probably made sense for them to live with her. But, you're right, they make it back as much as possible for the games.

they are talking about it on Finebaum and cms was leaving and am did a last minute change and hired Elko horrible look on our program and your coach not being truthful about it horrible look

Reactions: K_TIME
they are talking about it on Finebaum and cms was leaving and am did a last minute change and hired Elko horrible look on our program and your coach not being truthful about it horrible look
Yeah this whole Finebaum segment with the A&M guy is brutal. He and Paul are torching Stoops and Paul is encouraging it with a sly grin. He is really enjoying this. Basically called Stoops tweet a lie.

Hmmmm.

This sounds plausible.

Coen would hesitate for the strong possibility of being offered the head spot here . . . or Syracuse, orrr . . . .

White could be a defensive coordinator about anywhere he wanted, and get a G5 spot in about a heartbeat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT