ADVERTISEMENT

The one incoming freshman I want to retain the most, Billy Richmond.

Son_Of_Saul

All-American
Dec 7, 2007
images

This kid is DeAndre Liggins incarnate. I'd love to lock him up with a nice NIL pledge. He looks like he's a 2 to 3 year player, and with solid NIL incentives, I think he would give us a critical wing defender for the next few seasons.

Make it happen, Mark!

Billy.0.jpeg

images

This kid is DeAndre Liggins incarnate. I'd love to lock him up with a nice NIL pledge. He looks like he's a 2 to 3 year player, and with solid NIL incentives, I think he would give us a critical wing defender for the next few seasons.

Make it happen, Mark!

Billy.0.jpeg
Agree, and I’ll add this is the kind of player Pope can and should recruit at UK and I think he will.

Pope played on the greatest UK team in the modern era and arguably the greatest college team of all-time. He understands what kind of players fit his system and he understands what kind of players win national championships. Players with natural talent that get seasoning and experience and get developed by a coach that is passionate about the program.

Teammate of D. J. Wagner at Camden High. Can't see him not following Cal and D. J. to Arkansas.
Probably true, but maybe UK can flash $150,000 in NIL in his face.

Sounds like we have a salary cap that will approach $5 to $8 million when it's all said and done.

Reed gets $2.5 million or so if he comes back. That leaves $2.5 to $5.5 million to fill out the rest of the roster. Bottom rotation guys (maybe 3 to 4 guys) combine for around $150,000.

Premium portal transfers go for about $400,000 to $750,000 each.

Medium grade portal guys go for $100,000 to $250,000 each.

Richmond is in that tier.

Dad played for Cal at Memphis, Camden HS guy...he's not staying. Call the Hogs most likely.

Do like your eye for talent though. There's a reason Billy and Boogie Fland were the only 2 guys in the incoming class that UConn offered/recruited. They are tough and skilled.
I have no idea about this and maybe you don’t either, but do you think the dads are still down with Calipari as much given what’s been the trajectory the last few years?

I know DJ had an infinitely long leash. Did Cal develop him though? Do they still trust that the Cal they played for is the Cal that exists today?

Just curious about that and I know you’re more connected in general than 99.9% of the posters here.

Sounds like we have a salary cap that will approach $5 to $8 million when it's all said and done.

Reed gets $2.5 million or so if he comes back. That leaves $2.5 to $5.5 million to fill out the rest of the roster. Bottom rotation guys (maybe 3 to 4 guys) combine for around $150,000.

This will be a really interesting aspect to watch, how the market settles for NIL.

150k doesnt move the needle. Its gotta be 750k+

I have no idea about this and maybe you don’t either, but do you think the dads are still down with Calipari as much given what’s been the trajectory the last few years?

I know DJ had an infinitely long leash. Did Cal develop him though? Do they still trust that the Cal they played for is the Cal that exists today?

Just curious about that and I know you’re more connected in general than 99.9% of the posters here.
I know I am not ralphdaltonfan lol but these kids really don't care about the trajectory that UK had been on the last few years. They wanted the UK Brand along with the Cal brand of consistently putting kids in the NBA. As long as Cal continues to do that they will follow. Again, the main reason I am so happy with the new direction the program has taken.

150k doesnt move the needle. Its gotta be 750k+
What????? For a year of college ball!!!! (I’m not doubting you or saying you are wrong.) But just reflecting on the difference from when I was that age, the money gap is completely changed.

Sorry but unless the National Crooks Athletic Association wants to be a pro league they need to figure something out.

If they cared about development, they'd have listened to Hurley and his crew and chose UConn. Those guys are all about fit and buy in and development. Coach their guys hard and demand you invest in team while there and they'll tell you when you are ready to leave. If you mention NIL or playing time-they quit recruiting you.

They loved Richmond as a player/what he could be and think they saw a more offensively talented version of Andre Jackson who they had on the '23 Championship team. Billy winning a State title at Camden this year as the only elite player was very telling. That and fact they went 30-2 in a year they didn't have as much firepower around him (not just DJ/Bradshaw either-they lost 3/4 other guys who were D1 CBB recruits)

The only thing I'll miss about Cal leaving is that I didn't get to see Boogie/Richmond at UK. But at some point you have to move on and sacrifice something to gain in the long term.

We have to get our heads around the fact that these kids are Cal’s kids and they will follow him to arky. The ones that don’t will re open their recruitment. I’d be absolutely shocked if pope can keep any of them. Then again I’m already shocked that he’s our coach to begin with

What????? For a year of college ball!!!! (I’m not doubting you or saying you are wrong.) But just reflecting on the difference from when I was that age, the money gap is completely changed.

Sorry but unless the National Crooks Athletic Association wants to be a pro league they need to figure something out.
Have you been frozen in ice for a few years?

Reactions: ukfan041

AJ stoorr turned down kansas for 750k said needed at least a mil

I don't know why people keep bringing up Reed.A lotto pick is not returning.
He could when there are both personal and financial reasons (more than NIL) to return. Not saying he will, but it’s more than a slim or rare chance (I put it near 50/50).

images

Make it happen, Mark!

Billy.0.jpeg
I definitely wouldn’t mind it. I’d like Fland/JQ/BR/Perry honestly.

He’s not staying. Kid has to much of a connection to Cal.
He might end up at Arkansas but I don’t think that connection is as strong as you think. Just a week after he committed it came out that he was regretting it and considering getting out of it. Memphis was thought to be his next spot.

He might end up at Arkansas but I don’t think that connection is as strong as you think. Just a week after he committed it came out that he was regretting it and considering getting out of it. Memphis was thought to be his next spot.
Interesting. I hadn’t heard that.

Reactions: Warf2012
images

Make it happen, Mark!

Billy.0.jpeg
I haven't looked that closely at this kid, Saul. But I'll take your word for it ... and if he's half the defensive player DeAndre Liggins was for us, then Billy Richmond will be the best defensive player we've had at U.K. since A.D. And as you pointed out - a lock-down wing defender would be a critical addition for Coach Pope !
Go 'Cats ! ! !

Reactions: UKgal82
I find it funny how for years people wanted to stop recruiting the 5 stars and get more long term guys, and yet here people are wanting Kentucky to try and get 5 stars on the team next year. No shot at anybody just found it funny

I really like these questions. Have the parents see the change in Calipari that we have seen? Is why we are not hearing something with some the kids ?

Quaintance would have been my first pick since he would have to stay 2 years. Would gladly take a 2nd year of Big Z though and play a year under a big man like Pope in a 5 out offense. Big Z isn't ready for the league, needs to just stay put.

He’s from Memphis. If Pope can’t convince him to stay I expect to see him at Memphis or Arkansas.

Quaintance would have been my first pick since he would have to stay 2 years. Would gladly take a 2nd year of Big Z though and play a year under a big man like Pope in a 5 out offense. Big Z isn't ready for the league, needs to just stay put.

So is Ugonna waiting to see what Z does? Don't see how Ugonna fits at all but wonder why he hasn't made a move yet?

So is Ugonna waiting to see what Z does? Don't see how Ugonna fits at all but wonder why he hasn't made a move yet?
Ugo is an interesting one. He was one of the first to make a decision last year to enter the portal and comeback. Hoping Thiero will do the same this year and wouldn't mind to have a junior Ugo. He showed a lot of potential defensively last year.

EDIT: Just saw where Big Z is in the portal. Damn.

Reactions: Cold Stout Beer

Exactly. I mean Thiero was already transferring away from Calipari. I’m not exactly sure that DJ was a fan

I find it funny how for years people wanted to stop recruiting the 5 stars and get more long term guys, and yet here people are wanting Kentucky to try and get 5 stars on the team next year. No shot at anybody just found it funny
I think it’s because they know Pope won’t be getting many good players himself so they’re wanting to hold on to what we have. I was ready to move on from Kal’s recruiting way too but we went from one extreme to the other where we will be lucky to even get 4 stars now. People said all that thinking we’d get a coach in the middle that filled their roster with 4 star types with one or two 5 stars mixed in.

I think it’s because they know Pope won’t be getting many good players himself so they’re wanting to hold on to what we have. I was ready to move on from Kal’s recruiting way too but we went from one extreme to the other where we will be lucky to even get 4 stars now. People said all that thinking we’d get a coach in the middle that filled their roster with 4 star types with one or two 5 stars mixed in.
Pope will get good players, what pope will get is what 95 percent of college basketball has to operate as. Get good college players, duke & what cal did are anomaly’s

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT