ADVERTISEMENT

The one area that I want to see improvement from Coach Stoops

mtn cat1

Senior
Gold Member
Feb 5, 2003
chillicothe ohio
Coach has a demonstrated "emotional meltdown" during live action on the field of play! This demeanor has cost UK for three seasons & counting. I don't think Coach is lacking in FB Knowledge as it relates to his behavior, however, because he becomes so embroiled in the circumstances that are going on, he seems to lose the presence of mind to make effective decisions regarding the play calling, (scheming), if you will!!!

Coach has a demonstrated "emotional meltdown" during live action on the field of play! This demeanor has cost UK for three seasons & counting. I don't think Coach is lacking in FB Knowledge as it relates to his behavior, however, because he becomes so embroiled in the circumstances that are going on, he seems to lose the presence of mind to make effective decisions regarding the play calling, (scheming), if you will!!!
I actually love Stoops fire. Biggest detriment the last 3years is talent. We are finally as talented as our sec brethren

I think you are spot on. It is why many think he is in over his head. If he could tone it down a bit, his team might follow suit.

Use of timeouts is my big thing with him. I can't count the times I've been screaming at the TV for him to call a TO. And then sometimes he'll wait like 15-20 seconds into the playclock then call a TO while I'm yelling and it'll just piss me off even more that he wasted so much time.

Maybe you missed Saban and Dabo Monday night.

Not sure what your name is meant to mean, but I will never swap my blue for brown.

I think your post is at least two thirds wrong, I think our dumb penalties have declined, false starts, how many players disqualified for helmet to helmet, etc, and several of the talking heads had him behind only Saban for SEC COY.

You seem to be a pretty big critic, and so maybe you don't think a 7 win season and a huge upset of Transfer U is good enough for your lofty expectations, and it could have been better (what couldn't be?) but you haven't been a UK fan for long if you don't know it could have been a lot worse.

Many don't think that. Many thought he had a case for SEC COY.

His team has been fine...haven't had penalty problems at all.
Before the season. I voiced my opinion loudly that stoops demeanor on the sidelines effects the team and that it was a big reason as to why I thought he was in over his head (which I don't feel that way as far as being in over his head anymore of course once he beat UL but I wasn't sold until he actually beat a good team). There'd be times he would be super upset at an official. And 3 plays later he's still irate over it. That type of stuff effects the team because he might not be making calls to his best judgement based on the fact he's not over the call that happened 3-4 plays ago. All in all though he improved this season. And next season I expect big things with Johnson at the helm. By the end of the season he was money with all of his throws. I think he goes down as one of the best QBs to play at UK by the end of next season.

Reactions: willievic
Before the season. I voiced my opinion loudly that stoops demeanor on the sidelines effects the team and that it was a big reason as to why I thought he was in over his head (which I don't feel that way as far as being in over his head anymore of course once he beat UL but I wasn't sold until he actually beat a good team). There'd be times he would be super upset at an official. And 3 plays later he's still irate over it. That type of stuff effects the team because he might not be making calls to his best judgement based on the fact he's not over the call that happened 3-4 plays ago. All in all though he improved this season. And next season I expect big things with Johnson at the helm. By the end of the season he was money with all of his throws. I think he goes down as one of the best QBs to play at UK by the end of next season.
You're far and away too logical!

The head coach is the CEO on the sidelines. His coordinators run the game plan and hence how the game plays out. As an example, Woody Hayes was out of his mind on the sidelines to the point af attacking an opposing player. Yet, OSU won consistently. Fans were supportive. Lose and the head coach, according to the small segment of fans that troll these boards, is out of control.

Reactions: merrimanm

First, your rise from the ashes with a different moniker but the same inane posts is noted. You definitely haven't been around long enough to know much about past UK qbs. You know even less about side line coaching. A name change doesn't change your persona.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
Sideline demeanor isn't going to correlate to on-field production. Joker and Curry were the most stoic sideline coaches and both stunk. Brooks was probably most volatile and best results at UK in modern era.

As mentioned Woody Hayes was all over the place. Steve Spurrier and his throwing visors all over the place. Bobby Petrino screams all the time. Then you have more stoic coaches like Jim Tressell, Pete Carroll, etc...how are also tremendous. None of Stoops antics really matter to W and Ls.

I'd argue Stoops biggest need to improve upon is "his" defense needs to play better to get to the next level. We still give up a ton of 30+ pts games during a season and we have to put up 30+ to win almost any Saturday to get a W. He needs to quit giving up so many big plays in games, needs to generate more negative yardage plays (we never get tackles for loss), etc..

Sideline demeanor isn't going to correlate to on-field production. Joker and Curry were the most stoic sideline coaches and both stunk. Brooks was probably most volatile and best results at UK in modern era.

As mentioned Woody Hayes was all over the place. Steve Spurrier and his throwing visors all over the place. Bobby Petrino screams all the time. Then you have more stoic coaches like Jim Tressell, Pete Carroll, etc...how are also tremendous. None of Stoops antics really matter to W and Ls.

I'd argue Stoops biggest need to improve upon is "his" defense needs to play better to get to the next level. We still give up a ton of 30+ pts games during a season and we have to put up 30+ to win almost any Saturday to get a W. He needs to quit giving up so many big plays in games, needs to generate more negative yardage plays (we never get tackles for loss), etc..
I fully agree though we might agree building an offense is easier than creating a top tier SEC defense. We are on our way to achieving a great defense, but it takes a program like ours is a work in progress over 5-6 years.

Clock management and I hope he improves his defensive play calling (sarcasm/Elliot jab)

Yeah, Saban, Harbaugh, Dabo, Spurrier, Dantonio, and the golden boy for those against Stoops, Pertino, they all never get heated in a game. Good point OP!

Yeah, Saban, Harbaugh, Dabo, Spurrier, Dantonio, and the golden boy for those against Stoops, Pertino, they all never get heated in a game. Good point OP!
Totally forgot about Jim Harbaugh...he is about the most animated of them all on sidelines.

Reactions: merrimanm
First, your rise from the ashes with a different moniker but the same inane posts is noted. You definitely haven't been around long enough to know much about past UK qbs. You know even less about side line coaching. A name change doesn't change your persona.
Huh. Ok. I do know a lot about the history of our QBs. And I know Johnson if he performs how I expect he will we could definitely win 9 games next season with all the talent we have. He is the best deep ball thrower I've seen at UK. And it isn't close. Now that he has all of his throws down and the ability to make plays on his feat. I expect huge things from him. All he needed was time to adjust from the juco level and an offensive line to give him time. And once he adjusted he looked damn good.

If you don't think Johnson has the potential to go down as an all time great QB if he keeps improving at the pace he has been. Then I could seriously care less about what you have to say because you obviously didn't realize how pinpoint his passing was by the end of the season. 20 yard out routes, crossing patterns, curls, deep balls. It was poetry in motion on all throws. I mean he did outduel the heisman winner (undeserving heisman winner but still a damn good player) and based on the defensive rankings Johnson was going up against a much tougher defense. And still outplayed Jackson. Does that count for anything? First ranked road win since Lorenzo's. And as far as you telling me what I know and don't know as far as football goes. Is absolutely hilarious to me. You seriously think an HC makes no decisions thru the course of an entire game? Especially a coach that took over play calling duties on defense? Now my question for you is have you ever played football at least at the HS level?

Huh. Ok. I do know a lot about the history of our QBs. And I know Johnson if he performs how I expect he will we could definitely win 9 games next season with all the talent we have. He is the best deep ball thrower I've seen at UK. And it isn't close. Now that he has all of his throws down and the ability to make plays on his feat. I expect huge things from him. All he needed was time to adjust from the juco level and an offensive line to give him time. And once he adjusted he looked damn good.

If you don't think Johnson has the potential to go down as an all time great QB if he keeps improving at the pace he has been. Then I could seriously care less about what you have to say because you obviously didn't realize how pinpoint his passing was by the end of the season. 20 yard out routes, crossing patterns, curls, deep balls. It was poetry in motion on all throws. I mean he did outduel the heisman winner (undeserving heisman winner but still a damn good player) and based on the defensive rankings Johnson was going up against a much tougher defense. And still outplayed Jackson. Does that count for anything? First ranked road win since Lorenzo's. And as far as you telling me what I know and don't know as far as football goes. Is absolutely hilarious to me. You seriously think an HC makes no decisions thru the course of an entire game? Especially a coach that took over play calling duties on defense? Now my question for you is have you ever played football at least at the HS level?
He's baaack!!

When the doctors stress your heart what they want to see is how fast you recover. Faster the recovery healthier the heart. That's my concern with Stoops----It's not the explosion it's how the anger lingers and he doesn't seem to get his head back in the game quickly.

Merrimanm, I've tried to be civil to you over time, however, you are beginning to become stale! I try not to critique other posters in a negative manner!
As for saban Dabo, Spurrier & Myer among others, they are all proven winners! Yes they are enamored with 4* & 5* talent on their teams, but I would argue that they are blessed to have that caliber of athlete because of their coaching acumen!
NOTE: I did not say that Coach Stoops was a bad or horrible coach. I was merely suggesting that he could enhance his posture as a successful coach by more effectively controlling his sideline demeanor.
Again NOTE: QB Johnson's greatest asset appears to be his calm demeanor regardless of the team's or his own success or failure!

Reactions: thepip
Have you ever watched Nick Saban on the sideline?
Has or does his demeanor prevent Bama from operating like a well oiled machine? Or does his actions detract from Bama's proficiency to the extent that it costs them victories?
Don't mean to hate on Coach, but would like him to make his point & then resume his "game face" & not allow his rant to continue for two or three more plays, (series)!

Many don't think that. Many thought he had a case for SEC COY.

His team has been fine...haven't had penalty problems at all.

And they were wrong because coach of the year don't go to most improved team a coach, coaches. It goes to THE BEST COACH. SMH

There is just a chance (slight as it may be) they may have different records than CMS, you think?

Slightly but Saban/Dabo were protesting calls/non-calls trying to protect their teams or players...same thing Stoops has done, and others BTW. And emphatically. One can be critical of Stoops for a lot of things but you can damn well bet the farm his players are thankful he has their backs.

Merrimanm, I've tried to be civil to you over time, however, you are beginning to become stale! I try not to critique other posters in a negative manner!
As for saban Dabo, Spurrier & Myer among others, they are all proven winners! Yes they are enamored with 4* & 5* talent on their teams, but I would argue that they are blessed to have that caliber of athlete because of their coaching acumen!
NOTE: I did not say that Coach Stoops was a bad or horrible coach. I was merely suggesting that he could enhance his posture as a successful coach by more effectively controlling his sideline demeanor.
Again NOTE: QB Johnson's greatest asset appears to be his calm demeanor regardless of the team's or his own success or failure!
Disagreeing with you doesn't make me stale.

Also, I don't give a crap that they are proven winners. They have been that way the entire time that they have been head coaches. So that argument doesn't hold water.

And they were wrong because coach of the year don't go to most improved team a coach, coaches. It goes to THE BEST COACH. SMH
Actually I think it goes to the coach who is thought to have done the best job that year, otherwise Saban would get it year in year out.

Reactions: CatsFanGG24
I believe if you Stoops stoic on the sidelines he has given up. His fire is part of his game.

All coaches look better with better talent as that talent bails them out of dumb decisions over & over.

Yeah, Div I under a HOF coach named Sid Gillman. Even without that I can recognize a fake, such as yourself, despite your changing identities. Those changes brought on by your repeated ridiculed, ignorant posts under different screen names.

Well Saban hadnt won it since 2009, so you're a little mistaken as to how they vote.

Right or wrong, they usually give it to an overachiever.

Despite the personal attacks that diminish this thread, OP has raised an interesting question. Standard coaching mantra is, "Play the next play" -- in other words, don't allow the results of the last play, good or bad, to affect your concentration going forward. So it is legitimate to ask, why wouldn't that apply to coaching as well?

As others have pointed out, however, very successful coaches have also been known to engage in vociferous sideline protests at times, so there's certainly no automatic link between sideline behavior and on field success or lack of it. We've also seen instances, perhaps more obviously on the basketball court, where coaches will seem to intentionally draw a technical foul as a means to "light a fire" in their team, and there is value in players seeing that a coach has their back when something unjust seems to have occurred. How much value depends a lot on the coach's relationship with his team and how well he has assessed their likely reaction. Then too, coaches may try to make a point not expecting a call to be reversed but to influence officials' perceptions next time.

It's not always evident to spectators how much of a coach's behavior is pure reaction and how much is contrived. Coach Stoops is a passionate guy, often animated on the sideline (vs. Coach Gran, who appears more like a math teacher studying his charts). I suspect (but don't know) that his reactions are more knee jerk than planned, and so I share the OP's concerns, especially since he has also assumed the role of defensive play caller. At the same time, it is a concern, not a fatal flaw; in fact, his passion is also one of his greatest assets. I'm sure Coach Stoops wrestles with this same issue in his own maturation process as a head coach.

Well Saban hadnt won it since 2009, so you're a little mistaken as to how they vote.

Right or wrong, they usually give it to an overachiever.
Not mistaken. I know how they vote. BUT!!!!! to say Stoops was the best coach of the SEC this year is wrong. SEC COACH OF THE YEAR! It **SHOULD go to Saban as it should have

This X1000.

I am pretty sure that we have given up >30 points in 19 of the last 34 games, and three of the 15 we didn't were to EKU, Austin Peay and Charlotte, for which no SEC coach gets credit for stopping. So, you are giving up more than 30 60% of the time (and oftentimes it was 38 or more), that is just way too many points, even with today's offenses. Plus this season we gave up 430 YPG or so, which is not good at all.

The 8 bowl games played on Dec 31 and Jan 2 involve 16 pretty damn good teams, and the winning team held the losing team to less than 20 points in 7 of the 8. Now that is just a small snapshot, but 2017 is year five of the Stoops regime, we have a full roster and some talent, and that needs to start showing up on the defensive side of the ledger.

Reactions: thepip and jnewc2
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT