ADVERTISEMENT

The official 2024 Olympics thread.

I just looked at the times. If you assume a constant speed from start to finish, here is the approximate distances behind 1st the other runners were:
2nd - 2" (inches)
3rd - 8"
4th - 12"
5th - 24"
6th - 28"
7th - 36"
8th - 48"

Thanks. I was going to make that calculation myself for 5 thousandth of a second separation between Lyles and Thompson.

Interestingly, swimming events only time to hundredths of a second, and ties share the medal. The reason is that in swimming the architecture of the pool walls plus the variation in the pressure needed to trigger the touchpads would make it unfair to say who was actually first. Track races also only give official results to hundredths, but high resolution photos of the finish are the determining factor.

c4f52f82f0f4ab55e24323ee48c55235a12a8415.webp

Reactions: entropy13
Quincy Hall (USA) just came from behind to win Gold in men's 400m. 🇺🇲

Wow!
I only saw the replay and dude looked like he was struggling so much but still passed everyone. Just had unusual body language. Might be how he always runs and it's just the first time I've seen him. Looked about out of gas at the end.

Thanks. I was going to make that calculation myself for 5 thousandth of a second separation between Lyles and Thompson.

Interestingly, swimming events only time to hundredths of a second, and ties share the medal. The reason is that in swimming the architecture of the pool walls plus the variation in the pressure needed to trigger the touchpads would make it unfair to say who was actually first. Track races also only give official results to hundredths, but high resolution photos of the finish are the determining factor.

c4f52f82f0f4ab55e24323ee48c55235a12a8415.webp
They also use multiple camera angles and the camera shots that takes like 5,000 pictures a minute of something crazy like that. Little known fact, In track in field the lean is actually useless, you have not officially crossed the finish line until your torso crosses the line.

Last edited:
Volleyball used to be a big strength, but I think we are down to the women's indoor team as the only team left with a chance to medal. They are in a tough one with Brazil right now.

Volleyball used to be a big strength, but I think we are down to the women's indoor team as the only team left with a chance to medal. They are in a tough one with Brazil right now.
Yeap, the men blew a 2-1 set lead and up 20-17 to clinch and ended up losing the 4th and 5th set. If I heard correctly, Poland has eliminated USA 4 out of the last 5 or 4 straight times. Yesterday USA dropped the first set, won the 2nd, dominated the 3rd (25-14) and was in control of the 4th set late. Absolute choke job yesterday. One thing I do not like, they only play to 15 in the 5th set. USA lost the 5th set 15-13.

Just keeps going back and forth. Close wins and dominating wins by both teams and now 1 point away to win for us with a 3 point lead.

Lyles didn't look good at all. Bit off more than he could chew, but at least he got a medal.

Covid diagnosis was irrelevant in this, but the media will blow it up. His time in the final was better than his semi time.
It isn't unusual for final times to be faster...Most of the prelims they don't go all out because they save themselves for the final and the top however many advance...In the finals, you have one shot to medal or win...His time in the finals was almost a full half second slower than his fastest time...not to mention the fact he needed medical attention after the race...Covid most assuredly affected his respiratory function and certainly impacted his ability.

Most assuredly, it didn't. He didn't have a problem jumping around pre-race. But as I said, the covid sheep will be all over this.
If you think jumping pre race is the same as an actual race against the best/fastest runners in the world then you really don't know how sports work. A common cold impacts performance in running so Covid definitely can.

I'm just saying, if we can admit that African Americans are better suited for some sports.. can we maybe not have one as a water polo goalie who just let in 6 for 6 goals on a shoot out?

I'm prepared to get backlash but whatever.

cole854
What a complete dumb ass. Yeah, him having to wheeled away in a wheel chair, COVID had nothing to do with his performance. He felt like shit, couldn't generate the extra burst / adrenaline for a finals race to stay with the leaders. STILL finished third. I will say this about you, COVID definitely would not affect your posting and dumb analogies. You suck with or without COVID. But having said that, even while posting shitty take after shitty take, you would have a harder time breathing, have less energy if you posted with COVID. But nah, it would not affect a sprinters ability to close a race. Having body aches, drained energy levels, and just an overall feeling like shit, would not affect a athlete competing in a world class field. Hell, if he broke his leg, according to your thinking, he should still win.

I'm just saying, if we can admit that African Americans are better suited for some sports.. can we maybe not have one as a water polo goalie who just let in 6 for 6 goals on a shoot out?

I'm prepared to get backlash but whatever.
WOW. I do not know how to respond to that. Just when I thought cole854 couldn't be topped for ignorant post of the day, along comes your gem. What about all of the games he was great in goal ? So think this is a affirmative action situation ? Do you not think if there was a better goalie than he is, would not be the goalie ? Color of skin had nothing to do with him obviously being the best goalie on the team, if not, another player would have played.

Reactions: WildcatfaninOhio
WOW. I do not know how to respond to that. Just when I thought cole854 couldn't be topped for ignorant post of the day, along comes your gem. What about all of the games he was great in goal ? So think this is a affirmative action situation ? Do you not think if there was a better goalie than he is, would not be the goalie ? Color of skin had nothing to do with him obviously being the best goalie on the team, if not, another player would have played.

Shit I forgot the rules..

I will only make fun of whites in sports and the things were not good at, and I will not, ever again, make a harmless joke about any other races' short comings in their own specific athletic abilities.

But, Asians and mathematics.. where do we stand on this one?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT