ADVERTISEMENT

The official 2024 Olympics thread.

I just looked at the times. If you assume a constant speed from start to finish, here is the approximate distances behind 1st the other runners were:
2nd - 2" (inches)
3rd - 8"
4th - 12"
5th - 24"
6th - 28"
7th - 36"
8th - 48"

Thanks. I was going to make that calculation myself for 5 thousandth of a second separation between Lyles and Thompson.

Interestingly, swimming events only time to hundredths of a second, and ties share the medal. The reason is that in swimming the architecture of the pool walls plus the variation in the pressure needed to trigger the touchpads would make it unfair to say who was actually first. Track races also only give official results to hundredths, but high resolution photos of the finish are the determining factor.

c4f52f82f0f4ab55e24323ee48c55235a12a8415.webp

Reactions: entropy13
Quincy Hall (USA) just came from behind to win Gold in men's 400m. 🇺🇲

Wow!
I only saw the replay and dude looked like he was struggling so much but still passed everyone. Just had unusual body language. Might be how he always runs and it's just the first time I've seen him. Looked about out of gas at the end.

Rooks was unreal in steeplechase. Other runners looking at him appeared to be wondering who the hell is this guy.

Reactions: JDHoss
Thanks. I was going to make that calculation myself for 5 thousandth of a second separation between Lyles and Thompson.

Interestingly, swimming events only time to hundredths of a second, and ties share the medal. The reason is that in swimming the architecture of the pool walls plus the variation in the pressure needed to trigger the touchpads would make it unfair to say who was actually first. Track races also only give official results to hundredths, but high resolution photos of the finish are the determining factor.

c4f52f82f0f4ab55e24323ee48c55235a12a8415.webp
They also use multiple camera angles and the camera shots that takes like 5,000 pictures a minute of something crazy like that. Little known fact, In track in field the lean is actually useless, you have not officially crossed the finish line until your torso crosses the line.

Last edited:
Volleyball used to be a big strength, but I think we are down to the women's indoor team as the only team left with a chance to medal. They are in a tough one with Brazil right now.

Volleyball used to be a big strength, but I think we are down to the women's indoor team as the only team left with a chance to medal. They are in a tough one with Brazil right now.
Yeap, the men blew a 2-1 set lead and up 20-17 to clinch and ended up losing the 4th and 5th set. If I heard correctly, Poland has eliminated USA 4 out of the last 5 or 4 straight times. Yesterday USA dropped the first set, won the 2nd, dominated the 3rd (25-14) and was in control of the 4th set late. Absolute choke job yesterday. One thing I do not like, they only play to 15 in the 5th set. USA lost the 5th set 15-13.

Just keeps going back and forth. Close wins and dominating wins by both teams and now 1 point away to win for us with a 3 point lead.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT