ADVERTISEMENT

The Music Thread

90's rock seems like 00's hip hop. Just a weird and sad time for the genre.

RHCP
RATM
AIC
STP

F nirvana, imo.

Really, the 90's will probably be the lady great decade for music. Right before the internet ruined it all.

5: Fuel
4: Sad but True
3: The Unforgiven
2: Nothing Else Matters
1: Enter Sandman

These songs suck after 1990

It's the great divide of Matallica fandom: Thrash era vs Commercial era. Those 90s songs you listed were the hits, but many fans, myself included, prefer the first four albums (I maintain Ride The Lightning and Master of Puppets are their two best) over The Black album and the Loads. I'm a big fan of the band period, just prefer the 80s stuff.

My 90s Rushmore in terms of impact/popularity:

Nirvana
Pearl Jam
Dave Matthews Band
Chili Peppers
Green Day

IF I were going by preference I'd replace DMB with Alice In Chains, Nirvana with Soundgarden and Green Day with the almighty Pantera.

Hip Hop/rap blew away rock during the 90's. They swapped positions after 1999. AIC, TSM, and STP would be on mine. The 4th position changes daily, depending on who I'm listening to.

Also this.

I started the 90s as a thrash metal/hard rock fan, and didn't really connect with grunge outside AIC, Soundgarden and to a lesser extent, Pearl Jam. By the mid 90s grunge was played out, ska had its 5 minutes, and metal was either trying to be "alternative" or rap. I got into hip hop in the late 90s and listened to everything from Wu Tang, 2Pac and Biggie to No Limit, Cash Money and Three 6 Mafia.

The 90s were an interesting time. Lol.

I just didn't listen to 'Rock' in the 90s. Pearl Jam is about the only one who even breaks the top 20 for the decade for me. I don't know much about Faith No More, but that one song, Epic, was pretty groundbreaking IIRC. It was a steady diet of R&B and Rap (that's what you get for dating/marrying a Leestown girl) with a little Hootie and Dave thrown in.

I just didn't listen to 'Rock' in the 90s. Pearl Jam is about the only one who even breaks the top 20 for the decade for me. I don't know much about Faith No More, but that one song, Epic, was pretty groundbreaking IIRC. It was a steady diet of R&B and Rap (that's what you get for dating/marrying a Leestown girl) with a little Hootie and Dave thrown in.
The video for that song caused a big uproar with people from peta. There were some really pissed off people thinking they let the goldfish die at the end of the video lol.

I grew up during the grunge era and hated it at the time, but ended up appreciating it as I got older. I couldn't stand Oasis when they hit it big in 94, but now they're probably in my top 10 all-time favorites now.

That Brit-Pop movement was actually pretty good music. I've revisited it of late and am a bit of a fan. Blur, Pulp, especially Oasis...tons of great songs. Speaking of Oasis, Noel Gallagher's latest solo album is really good.

Listening to No Diggity on Pandora 90s Hip Hop channel right now and had to come here and reiterate that 90s hip hop/R&B blew 90's rock out of the water.

Reactions: funKYcat75
5: Fuel
4: Sad but True
3: The Unforgiven
2: Nothing Else Matters
1: Enter Sandman

These songs suck after 1990
Yeah they do suck besides Enter Sandman. You listed just commercial hits. they have never been considered good past 1990 by true fans. Such a shame you do. But no big deal.

I'd love to see a poll for the best decade, represented by (more or less) these bands:

50's
Chuck Berry
Elvis
Bo Diddley
Johnny Cash (not exactly rock but close enough for me)

60's
Stones
Beatles
Who
CCR

70's (yes some of these started in the 60's but they're all generally thought of as 70's bands)
Led Zep
Allman Bros
Eagles
Aerosmith

80's
ACDC
U2
Van Halen
Metallica

The 90's sure look lame against these decades.

The 90's is "lame" when compared to the 50's, 60's and 70's. I thought we were judging it as if it existed in a vacuum. I could debate the 80's, though. U2 is highly overrated, rock your grandma enjoys, and AC/DC, while "fun" to listen to, wasn't creative or extraordinary at all. Every song sounded the same.

And the Eagles really suck, so...

thedude-lebowski.jpg

Reactions: Get Bucket$
If you can't appreciate Hotel California, Life in the Fast Lane, Outlaw Man, Already Gone, One of These Nights and Take it Easy then that's on you.

They dominated radio in the Seventies.

If making the ultimate Mount Rushmore were would you place Elvis? You can't leave the king of rock and roll off the list. If I was pushed to make a list and that's a big if:
The Beatles
The stones
Zeppelin
Elvis

Yeah I know I left off the who.

I think wild mandu constructed that entire post just so he could have a reason to post that pic.

I think wild mandu constructed that entire post just so he could have a reason to post that pic.

Nah, I hate the Eagles. They were tame, radio rock. "I got a peaceful...easy feelin'" STFU. They never really "rocked." I don't get any sense of genuine music from them. Compare their sound to that of CCR and you'll see what I mean. It's not "organic," for lack of a better word. One step above Jimmy Buffet. Their lasting legacy is selling records.

The 80's had a lot of shit in it that we forget. Sure, Metallica and Springsteen were on the airwaves, but I can't get off on any decade where Phil Collins, Sting, Huey Lewis, Glenn Frey, Richard Marx and Journey are considered "Rock 'n' Roll."

The Eagles sucktitude is only amplified by the fact they *could* have been really awesome. They are all excellent musicians, but went with their radio rock style instead of doing something interesting.

Can't blame 'em for wanting the money, but still

Singer wise, Chris Cornell was the best of them all. Love that guy's vocals.

Take it to the Limit is the best and only good song to come from The Eagles. I'm sorry if that reality is difficult for some of you to comprehend.

Take it to the Limit is the best and only good song to come from The Eagles. I'm sorry if that reality is difficult for some of you to comprehend.

Agree with the Eagles hate. Adult contemporary elevator music by and large. New kid in town....ugh.

Glad I'm not the only person who didn't get the Eagles. Too soft for my liking, but way richer than me!

If making the ultimate Mount Rushmore were would you place Elvis? You can't leave the king of rock and roll off the list. If I was pushed to make a list and that's a big if:
The Beatles
The stones
Zeppelin
Elvis

Yeah I know I left off the who.
I'm fudging this, but you really can't group bands with solo artists. Yours is a good start but I'd have to replace Elvis with the Beach Boys. I'm a kid of the 60's...and Pet Sounds is a DAMN good album.

The Mount Rushmore of solo artists (rock edition) would be fun indeed. Of course, Elvis would be on that list. The other 3 would be open to interpretation...but I hope Roy Orbison would be somewhere on it!

As a child of the 90's there is no question that rap and hip hop crushed rock for a long time

I changed the title for obvious reasons, I know there is a lot more to be discussed rather than 90s Rock. I would like to see the Mount Rushmore of solo artists, and you could take it one step further musically. this way there isn't 35 spin offs.

Solo royalty:

Elvis...The King
Michael Jackson...The King of Pop
Aretha Franklin...The Queen of Soul
James Brown...The Godfather of Soul (and the originator of Funk)

Honorable Mention: Jimi Hendrix, Bob Marley, Janis Joplin, Bob Dylan, Stevie Wonder, Buddy Holly, Roy Orbison (The Voice), Chuck Berry

Solo royalty:

Elvis...The King
Michael Jackson...The King of Pop
Aretha Franklin...The Queen of Soul
James Brown...The Godfather of Soul (and the originator of Funk)

Honorable Mention: Jimi Hendrix, Bob Marley, Janis Joplin, Bob Dylan, Stevie Wonder, Buddy Holly, Roy Orbison (The Voice), Chuck Berry
Ouch, not bad some people will ask where's the love for Ozzy?

My personal top 4 musical artists? Hmmm, that's a tough one. I'll have to think more about it.

My 90's Rushmore...

PJ
Weezer/DMB (chisel half of Rivers Cuomo's head & half of Dave Matthew's head)
Rage Against the Machine
Black Crowes

My musical tastes have always been all over the place and I constantly require variety. And this line-up most adequately represents a good mix of the best of the stuff I was listening to back then and that I also still listen to occasionally today.

Nirvana was groundbreaking and I listened to them then...but I never listen to them now. AIC or Soundgarden could easily replace PJ on any given day.

Ozzy will always be part of Black Sabbath to me.

His first two solo records with the immortal Randy Rhoades on guitar were great all the way through. Some of the stuff he did with Zakk Wylde on guitar was pretty good. The secret to Ozzy is he's a good as his guitar player: Iommi, Rhoades and Wylde is quite a combination.

I prefer his Sabbath stuff too. Side note: I really liked Dio's first two albums with Sabbath, which I know is blasphemy to some diehards.

Solo:

- Elvis
- Bob Dylan
- David Bowie
- Michael Jackson

I could replace Bowie with Chuck Berry depending on my mood.

IMO my mount Rushmore would be Queen, Black Sabbath, Elton John, Billy Joel, and metallica (80s). To me queen is one of the most underrated bands and Freddie Mercury is a once in a lifetime musician/singer.

I thought about adding billy Joel. Iyo is Elton John the greatest piano player ever? Topping Joel, Lewis, or dare I say axl or Stevie wonder?

Genre Rushmore:

Metal:

Black Sabbath
Judas Priest
Metallica
Slayer

Rap:

2Pac
LL Cool J
Jay-Z
Ice Cube

Punk: