ADVERTISEMENT

The Flop & Replay

AgainstTheWind

Gold Member
Jul 22, 2014
Paducah, Ky
These fake flops and replay are killing college basketball. I don't understand how intelligent people who all want to see better ratings can't see this and make the necessary corrections. Unfortunately thinking the NCAA is capable of managing for the better of the game is like expecting the government to be more efficient in the spending of taxpayers money.....

Cal has asked them to look at the monitor probably 10-12 times that I can remember this season and they haven't called it 1 time after reviewing. Why waste your time unless you want a timeout to settle your team without having to actually take one.
I think their needs to be real consequences to players who fake flop. Unless you do that it will always be a problem.

While we are on the topic, the Vandy player flopping when Maxey tried to box him out was a joke. You are taught from junior pro ball as a 2nd grader that someone has to put a rear end on the free throw shooter and box him out.

There was also another situation where one of the Vandy guards was body checking Hagans for 20 seconds of the possession. One of the UK bigs set a screen and as Ashton started to go through the screen on the block he pushed the guy to get him off of him but it wasn't a hard push. The guy threw his arms up and head back and took 2 or 3 steps back before hitting the floor like Mike Tyson had punched him in the face and you guessed it...a foul on Hagans.

While we are on the topic, the Vandy player flopping when Maxey tried to box him out was a joke. You are taught from junior pro ball as a 2nd grader that someone has to put a rear end on the free throw shooter and box him out.

There was also another situation where one of the Vandy guards was body checking Hagans for 20 seconds of the possession. One of the UK bigs set a screen and as Ashton started to go through the screen on the block he pushed the guy to get him off of him but it wasn't a hard push. The guy threw his arms up and head back and took 2 or 3 steps back before hitting the floor like Mike Tyson had punched him in the face and you guessed it...a foul on Hagans.
Those were exactly the two plays that I was thinking about when I posted this. We can not allow officials to call these type of fouls.

I ref some AAU ball from time to time and it is usually kids that are from 3-6th grade. Last year during a 5th grade game, a kid flopped to get a charge call and I didn't call it. He looked at me and said "That's a charge" to which I replied "That's a flop". He didn't complain anymore at least to me anyway. :joy:

I actually thought it was a foul.

Maxey got chewed out for not boxing out the Texas Tech shooter at the end of the game last week, so he got a little overzealous last night in making sure he did.

Since the Vandy shooter made no effort to follow his shot, Maxey’s momentum just tossed him to the ground.

Reactions: 420grover
Hagan's does this and I really don't care for it.....play ball.....stop with the theatrics........

The Harrisons had this down to an art form. Didn't like it then either. There is a fine line between "selling it" and "flopping".

Reactions: KyFaninNC
I actually thought it was a foul.

Maxey got chewed out for not boxing out the Texas Tech shooter at the end of the game last week, so he got a little overzealous last night in making sure he did.

Since the Vandy shooter made no effort to follow his shot, Maxey’s momentum just tossed him to the ground.

It was the same contact that most guys do on a box out. The Vandy player fell when he put his behind into him and then Maxey tripped over him. Did he touch him? Sure but it's hard to box someone out without contact. If you are going to call that kind of contact on every play then you have games with 70 fouls and fans complaining about it.

That's what infuriates me. Hagans can get body checked for most of the possession. No whistle. Nick sets a screen. Defense throws arms up and whips neck. Illegal screen is called but totally ignoring the fact hagans is now missing limbs from the contact while dribbling. Long story short there absolutely no consistency in calls. It changes from half to half, sometimes play to play. Until they change that and checking officials egos I don't see much changing.

You know what pisses me off more than the flopping? When some Duke-like jerk wad throws his head back as he's dribbling like the defender did something to give him whiplash. Aaaaagggghhhh!
Tyus Jones was the master at this. I would get sooooo pissed every time I saw him do it. He would get the call damn near every single time too. Sickening.

uconn-flop.gif

Remember when Pitino would teach his U6 players to throw their hands up when they ran through the lane? Bush league.
Every single player, every single play. They would actually rub their own guy coming off the screen, which you’re taught to do, and when they made contact with their own screener they would flail their arms up. Embarrassing

Kemba Walker and Shabazz Napier were the worst about doing this.

Kemba got a technical foul the other night trying to flop guarding Bam on a switch.

No such thing as a fake flop. A flop is real. He is flopping, not pretending to flop. Now a fake charge is real, a fake being shot out of a cannon when contact is made is real. It truly is ruining the game. About as bad as the secondary defender sliding underneath a player after he leaves his feet. Horrible and risk the player getting injured. But hey, lets reward a guy who can't play defense so he runs over and slides under a offensive player. that is not defense, it is a player weakness.

K brought this to the forefront in college basketball. Would be interesting to see tape of some of his games when he played. Bet he flopped like hell.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
It was the same contact that most guys do on a box out. The Vandy player fell when he put his behind into him and then Maxey tripped over him. Did he touch him? Sure but it's hard to box someone out without contact. If you are going to call that kind of contact on every play then you have games with 70 fouls and fans complaining about it.
Well said...... I don't know how an official at this level can call that a foul and speak to consistency with a straight face.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Cal has asked them to look at the monitor probably 10-12 times that I can remember this season and they haven't called it 1 time after reviewing. Why waste your time unless you want a timeout to settle your team without having to actually take one.

Cal's never going to get that reversed. In the official's mind, he is showing him up.

And Cal knows he won’t get it reversed. He also knows the replay will be shown on tv when they review it so he is bringing more attention to it. Eventually some zebra is gonna call it for what it is, and hopefully it will start a trend. I know, I’m probably delusional.

Reactions: Cat_Incognito
These fake flops and replay are killing college basketball. I don't understand how intelligent people who all want to see better ratings can't see this and make the necessary corrections. Unfortunately thinking the NCAA is capable of managing for the better of the game is like expecting the government to be more efficient in the spending of taxpayers money.....

The problem with it today is that the impact and the flop are not in sync. You can brush by a guy now and he tries to end up in the crowd by flopping so badly. Its stupid, its even easier when you see it on the replay like the officials do but they don't make the call.

Every time a player throws their head back that should be an automatic offensive foul. Every time after that it should be a 1-shot Technical foul.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT