ADVERTISEMENT

The Flop & Replay

uconn-flop.gif
This one always makes my blood boil. Of course it’s Higgins calling that BS.

We lost this final 4 game by 1 point. Had a chance to take the lead with less than a minute left. I can’t remember every detail of how things played out, but every time I see this flop I think of it contributing to costing us back-to-back titles.

This one always makes my blood boil. Of course it’s Higgins calling that BS.

We lost this final 4 game by 1 point. Had a chance to take the lead with less than a minute left. I can’t remember every detail of how things played out, but every time I see this flop I think of it contributing to costing us back-to-back titles.
Same here. I reckon I’m gonna have to go back and rewatch that game. I can’t remember hardly any sequences of that game at all.

Reactions: JStaff2187
All this stuff is just the latest attempts by the NCAA to get officials to actually start calling games correctly. Points of emphasis, replay, actual flop being a call. Trying every way they can but officials refuse to show any restraint. They continue to do whatever they want.

The NCAA sucks. But they're actually making an effort here.

These fake flops and replay are killing college basketball. I don't understand how intelligent people who all want to see better ratings can't see this and make the necessary corrections. Unfortunately thinking the NCAA is capable of managing for the better of the game is like expecting the government to be more efficient in the spending of taxpayers money.....
Your idea will flop.

All this stuff is just the latest attempts by the NCAA to get officials to actually start calling games correctly. Points of emphasis, replay, actual flop being a call. Trying every way they can but officials refuse to show any restraint. They continue to do whatever they want.

The NCAA sucks. But they're actually making an effort here.
A piss poor effort if you ask me. They can talk all day. It’s time they took action. Talk’s cheap.

It's needs to be more of a point of interest. Technical fouls should be the punishment for every flop.....then it will stop.

I've always thought that the TV commentators should be flop-shaming players that do it. Instead they tend to praise the kid for "selling" the call. It makes me sick to see college basketball going the way of international soccer.

A piss poor effort if you ask me. They can talk all day. It’s time they took action. Talk’s cheap.

I agree to an extent. But at the same time one would assume unbiased arbiters would follow and enforce rules made for that purpose. Officials refuse to do so

I ref some AAU ball from time to time and it is usually kids that are from 3-6th grade. Last year during a 5th grade game, a kid flopped to get a charge call and I didn't call it. He looked at me and said "That's a charge" to which I replied "That's a flop". He didn't complain anymore at least to me anyway. :joy:
I’d like to start a petition to get you a job as an ncaa ref.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Every time a player throws their head back that should be an automatic offensive foul. Every time after that it should be a 1-shot Technical foul.
You can really tell the difference between posters who have played this game and those who never have. As some have noted, our own Harrison twins were pros at this technique, a skill they developed likely because, in spite of their height, they were not exceptional jumpers, yet did have the size to drive at bigger players.

Throwing the head back on a drive is not necessarily to imitate contact, although it could be. But can be performed as a head fake to make the defenders think the lay-up is occuring a step sooner, to get them off the floor early (or keep them on it). It is basically the same timing as looking and faking to the left before a right handed shooter executes a lay-up (for purpose of keeping defender nailed to floor)

You can really tell the difference between posters who have played this game and those who never have. As some have noted, our own Harrison twins were pros at this technique, a skill they developed likely because, in spite of their height, they were not exceptional jumpers, yet did have the size to drive at bigger players.

Throwing the head back on a drive is not necessarily to imitate contact, although it could be. But can be performed as a head fake to make the defenders think the lay-up is occuring a step sooner, to get them off the floor early (or keep them on it). It is basically the same timing as looking and faking to the left before a right handed shooter executes a lay-up (for purpose of keeping defender nailed to floor)
That’s a very different type of head motion. The type that bothers many is the soccer style head jerk back at the same time as little or no contact possibly initiated by the head jerker.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT