ADVERTISEMENT

The death of Dick Enberg, got me thinking. Who's your Mount Rushmore of sports announcers?

Cannot for the life of me figure out why people like Al Michaels or Tom Leach or Gus Johnson..Just wow.

The best were Vin Scully and the young ones on this board apparently never heard of him.. Lindsey Nelson and Cawood and Claude Sullivan Dick Stockton and Don Criqui, Pee Wee Reese and Dizzy Dean doing the Yankees on Sat and Sunday games way back. Dick Enberg and Merlin Olsen were one of the very best teams. I liked Sean McDonough and Bill Raftery when they were a team in college basketball. And dont forget Keith Jackson. Some others mentioned in this thread dont even belong in the same sentence with any of the guys I just mentioned.
How many on this board remember Lindsey Nelson and Tom Brookshire doing the Cotton Bowl games and they might have done some Thanksgiving Day games too. they were great. Merry Christmas to all on this site. Hope its a good one for all.

Joe Dean, Sr. !!!! "John (Ferguson), Rick Robey just did a little Stuffareno for the 23,875 here at Rupp Arena!"
Loved Joe Dean! Many fond memories of him.

I remember an early 80s game where LSU was whipping the Cats. Dean was giving some serious love to the Cats naming off the number of wins, titles, etc. He knew it was an off day.

Mine would be

1. - Cawood Ledford
2. - Dick Enberg
3. - Al Michaels
4. - Howard Cosell

I know a lot of people doesn't like Cosell, but his ability to call a boxing match is unsurpassed. I also really like Vern Lundquist for college basketball & football

Might have to break this down into BBall and Football guys and even college v pro.

The team of:

Curt Gowdy
Jim Palmer
Dick Enberg
Mel Allen
Tim McCarver
Jesse Ventura
Dick Vitale
Dr. Joyce Brothers

Cannot for the life of me figure out why people like Al Michaels or Tom Leach or Gus Johnson..Just wow.

The best were Vin Scully and the young ones on this board apparently never heard of him.. Lindsey Nelson and Cawood and Claude Sullivan Dick Stockton and Don Criqui, Pee Wee Reese and Dizzy Dean doing the Yankees on Sat and Sunday games way back. Dick Enberg and Merlin Olsen were one of the very best teams. I liked Sean McDonough and Bill Raftery when they were a team in college basketball. And dont forget Keith Jackson. Some others mentioned in this thread dont even belong in the same sentence with any of the guys I just mentioned.
How many on this board remember Lindsey Nelson and Tom Brookshire doing the Cotton Bowl games and they might have done some Thanksgiving Day games too. they were great. Merry Christmas to all on this site. Hope its a good one for all.

Tom Brookshire was a NFL color man for most of his career. He was Pat Summeral's partner before Madden.

I remember Lindsay Nelson did baseball for NBC during the same time period as Dizzy and PeeWee. In the mid sixties ha was replaced by Curt Gowdy.

If people are going to include locals, I would add Harry Kalas, play by play man for the Phillies to the mix. He was also the voice of NFL films back in the day.

Edit: Tom Brookshire lost his NFL gig when he made some unflattering remarks aboutDenny Crum and UL's basketball program on theair.

I like Al Michaels, Tom Leach, and Gus Johnson. I think all three are outstanding announcers.

It’s a matter of opinion I guess.

I totally agree about Enberg and Olsen, just a tremendous duo together. I also really like Sean McDonough. He’s very knowledgeable and extremely funny with dry humor.

Merry Christmas to you and your family’s.

Mine would be

1. - Cawood Ledford
2. - Dick Enberg
3. - Al Michaels
4. - Howard Cosell

I know a lot of people doesn't like Cosell, but his ability to call a boxing match is unsurpassed. I also really like Vern Lundquist for college basketball & football

First let me say that I'm older than most on here so mine might be a little off from other posters.
Baseball: Harry Caray and Jack Buck
Basketball: There is only one...Cawood Ledford
NFL Football: Howard Cosell and Don Meredith
Multi Sports: Al Michaels, Dick Enberg and Cosell again
And how did I forget Mel Allen...what a voice.

Last edited:
This is pretty damn solid. Gowdy and Enberg are musts.

I could maybe swap Bob Costas in there for Jackson.

LMAO... What?!!!

Ray Scott been mentioned yet? Great voice, did some CBS work along with Packers and Penn St. football.

Nothing like the Rose Bowl coming on and Keith Jackson opening up the telecast. Was just college football to the core.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT