ADVERTISEMENT

The death of Dick Enberg, got me thinking. Who's your Mount Rushmore of sports announcers?

TopCatCal

Senior
Dec 10, 2012
Mine would be

1. - Cawood Ledford
2. - Dick Enberg
3. - Al Michaels
4. - Howard Cosell

I know a lot of people doesn't like Cosell, but his ability to call a boxing match is unsurpassed. I also really like Vern Lundquist for college basketball & football

Reactions: jrm693
Cawood has to be there. I liked Enberg, Gus Johnson and as an older guy loved Don Meredith on MNF.

Reactions: rbky53
A lot of very good to outstanding play by play and color announcers. Who is on your hit the mute button list? Mine starts with the very annoying Dick Vitale.

LAMO @ Leach, he sucks.

Nationally:

Enberg
Jackson
Summerall
Mussberger/Michaels(Like them both)

If we’re talking who to put on a mountain near Cawood, nobody.

The question you have to ask is who can give you the experience of the game without TV. The answer is nobody could do it like him, before or since. There is no heir apparent. He was a legacy asset that the program has simply been unable to fully replace.

Reactions: UKvisitor
No Vitale?
untitled___1_by_manoluv_d89n4br_by_manoluv-dbxhr8p.jpg

Cawood
Madden
Enberg
Pre 93ish Vitale

Bottom
Cosell
Current Vitale
Sam Bowie (sorry Sam)
recent Jay Bilas

Back in the olden days, I'd listen to the UK-UT game with Cawood, if UK was winning I'd turn the radio to a Knoxville station and listen to John Ward just to hear his reaction.

Reactions: All_Orange
Monte Hale, the voice of the Tigers (Murfreesboro) and Blue Raiders (MTSU). Passed away way too early with cancer on the tongue.

you guys are such CLUCKS . . . former Miss America and First Lady of Kentucky Phyllis George is a MUST on this list . . . for breaking down the gender barrier - Thanks for all the HOT CHICKS, Missus Governor.

Of course, to a UK fan nobody compares to Cawood, and Claude Sullivan, but I like Jim McKay from the old Wide World of Sports days, and also Chris Schenkel.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT