ADVERTISEMENT

The Consistent Best 5 Players

Farsight

Junior
Nov 27, 2011
It's no question that the best 5 players that should be playing the majority of the minutes are:

Dillingam
Sheppard
Reeves
Thiero
Mitchell

These 5 should be getting no less than 25+ minutes again.

I wonder if Cal has heard of the term: "If It ain't broke, don't fix it?" He needs that drilled in his head before he messes with lineups that 100% ruin momentum. Certain personnel who cannot contribute during the game should be benched.

By keeping in certain players while they provided zero value to the team and the game stayed in there. Look at the sky when it's sunny out side. Do you see that it's blue? Of course you do. Then look at the substitution patterns. Cal's intention is NBA first. Not KY first. Once he removes that priority (forced by our admin) then we might see a change. Until that changes, we still can't win big games.

It's no question that the best 5 players that should be playing the majority of the minutes are:

Dillingam
Sheppard
Reeves
Thiero
Mitchell

These 5 should be getting no less than 25+ minutes again.

I wonder if Cal has heard of the term: "If It ain't broke, don't fix it?" He needs that drilled in his head before he messes with lineups that 100% ruin momentum. Certain personnel who cannot contribute during the game should be benched.

By keeping in certain players while they provided zero value to the team and the game stayed in there. Look at the sky when it's sunny out side. Do you see that it's blue? Of course you do. Then look at the substitution patterns. Cal's intention is NBA first. Not KY first. Once he removes that priority (forced by our admin) then we might see a change. Until that changes, we still can't win big games.
Sad but true. And we’re powerless to do anything about it. It’s really sad when it gets to the point where you don’t mind if Wagner keeps struggling mightily so that Cal has no choice but to bench him. But then, knowing Cal, benching him will never be an option.

Always surprised with how short term this board is. It's game three, we really have no clue who the best players are on the team yet. There's a looooong season ahead and all the freshmen will be completely different players in March compared to where they are now. You gotta give DJ and Edwards time to develop before you relegate them to the bench.

Fact is when this team is at full strength there will be a minutes problem. There's only 40 minutes per game. Everyone's ideal lineup won't get the most minutes every game.

Sad but true. And we’re powerless to do anything about it. It’s really sad when it gets to the point where you don’t mind if Wagner keeps struggling mightily so that Cal has no choice but to bench him. But then, knowing Cal, benching him will never be an option.
A lot of ball yet to be played, and I hope I'm wrong, but so far...

Wagner = Archie Goodwin 2.0
Edwards = EJ Montgomery 2.0

Always surprised with how short term this board is. It's game three, we really have no clue who the best players are on the team yet. There's a looooong season ahead and all the freshmen will be completely different players in March compared to where they are now. You gotta give DJ and Edwards time to develop before you relegate them to the bench.

Fact is when this team is at full strength there will be a minutes problem. There's only 40 minutes per game. Everyone's ideal lineup won't get the most minutes every game.
Why do Wagner and Edwards need more minutes in a game when they are not producing but Reed and Dillingham are?

Dillingham and Reed are freshman too. This was their first big test too. Always propping up Cal dude. Fact is, neither Dillingham or Reed blinked, the other two looked lost.

Dillingam
Sheppard
Reeves
Thiero
Mitchell

That five has clearly been our best lineup so far.

But there ain't no way Wagner and Edwards are getting benched, because the team's highest rated NBA prospects have special protected status in Cal's system. Like it or not, that's just the way it is.

Reactions: seccats04
Fact is, neither Dillingham or Reed blinked, the other two looked lost.
I don't think this is true at all. Dilly gave up two threes to Harris due to pretty poor defensive reads, and those two sequences are the reason KU Took the lead. He's got a lot of work to do on defense, he was quite frankly awful last night on that side of the floor, his run in the first half just made people overlook it. Reed made a few bad decisions on offense at the end of the game.

People are saying give them time, but here’s the thing:

Wagner cannot overcome the fact that he can’t shoot it and does not have elite speed or quickness.

Edwards cannot overcome the fact that he is soft. I promise you that his draft stock took a huge hit tonight because it’s clear as day that he will struggle against grown ass men.

Last edited:
But there ain't no way Wagner and Edwards are getting benched, because the team's highest rated NBA prospects have special protected status in Cal's system.
They're not getting benched because for this team to be its best those two need to develop into something great come March. And you need to give it more time than 2.5 games before you put them on the back burner. If it's February and Cal is still playing DJ major minutes when he's clearly getting outplayed by other people that's a different story. But it's been three games so far, let's see how everyone looks when they have at least a handful of games under their belts.

How about the players that deserve more minutes because they are playing better. Just mess over them and not do them right? Why the sympathy for a couple of players. Let them work harder and play better to get the minutes. Not just hand it to them because of who they are. Treat everyone equal. It's about team, not individual. Does this not bother some fans?

I would love for one game this year, early to see cal get a technical and throw out. To see Ulis take over for a half. I bet it would be night and day.

Reactions: BlueSince92
I don't think this is true at all. Dilly gave up two threes to Harris due to pretty poor defensive reads, and those two sequences are the reason KU Took the lead. He's got a lot of work to do on defense, he was quite frankly awful last night on that side of the floor, his run in the first half just made people overlook it. Reed made a few bad decisions on offense at the end of the game.
Just amazing how blindly you can be. Wagner and Edwards were 1-18. Did nothing to help the team in any area imo. 5 points between them. 31 points from Reed and Dillingham. 7-9 from Three. Cal apologists have become so blind, they will literally refuse to see.

Ulis isn't even an assistant coach man. When did graduate assistants get to coach the team? LOL
And yet when Ulis coached up Theiro leading into a tv timeout, he literally was an aspect for changing the game. He became more aggressive on the boards and penetrating to the basket. So many people here are one dimensional

• Haha
Reactions: Cal-4-Three
And yet when Ulis coached up Theiro leading into a tv timeout, he literally was an aspect for changing the game. He became more aggressive on the boards and penetrating to the basket. So many people here are one dimensional
You literally said in your post you wanted ulis to take over after cal got thrown out. That's not possible LOL Just another cal hatred post by you trying to push a narrative. Learn your facts before spouting nonsense so you don't look so ignorant.

Tell us you don't understand basketball without telling us. You went embarrassingly first.......If you can't see the difference in those two and their potentials then you don't know ball with all due respect.
They were 5 stars who completely underachieved, tell me more about embarrassment Cal boi... [laughing]

Goodwin never saw a shot attempt he didn't like and had a lousy assist/ratio...

Montgomery was heralded as a big-time forward turned out to be soft as charmin...

Are you saying Cal didn't know what he was recruiting, or he lacks the skill to develop them?

CLANK!!!
NuAmhCa.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike-McD
You literally said in your post you wanted ulis to take over after cal got thrown out. That's not possible LOL Just another cal hatred post by you trying to push a narrative. Learn your facts before spouting nonsense so you don't look so ignorant.
Love it when people assume stuff without any context or reading comprehension. Disagreement does not equate to hate. Learn the difference. I think you need to take a good look in the mirror kiddo before you start calling people ignorant.

I mentioned that Ulis helping coach the team, which means he can be a more prominent voice in that aspect while someone like Orlando would take over it Cal was thrown out of the game. I guess I have to spit out everything for you so you can understand like a child.

They were 5 stars who completely underachieved, tell me more about embarrassment Cal boi... [laughing]

Montgomery was heralded as a big-time forward turned out to be soft as charmin...

Are you saying Cal didn't know what he was recruiting, or he lacks the skill to develop them?

CLANK!!!
NuAmhCa.png
This guy is clearly a troll CatPhight. I wouldn't waste your time on the guy anymore.

How about the players that deserve more minutes because they are playing better. Just mess over them and not do them right? Why the sympathy for a couple of players. Let them work harder and play better to get the minutes. Not just hand it to them because of who they are. Treat everyone equal. It's about team, not individual. Does this not bother some fans?
Exactly- Reed and DIlly are also Freshman and they have played the same number of games Wagner has- maybe Wagner can get better coming off the bench

Reactions: KFuqua

This is a terribly stupid comparison. It's been 3 freaking games.

EJ scored more than 10 points once as a freshman. Edwards did it in the first two games.

Op is 100% right and anyone with a clue can tell when watching the games..these guys he mentioned compete and do multiple things that contribute to winning..we have had enough of a sample size to see going back to canada the scrimmage games and the pre season..

CLANK!!!
NuAmhCa.png
I think Goodwin gets a bad rap. That once Noel went down had no one that could get a shot off. A lot of the time no one did anything Archie had to shoot or drive or we wouldn’t get a shot off. Harrow shut down and most of that team was very young.

EJ scored more than 10 points once as a freshman. Edwards did it in the first two games.
Yes I'm sure you'll be back in a couple of weeks after we boatrace Cupcake U and her two nieces. This entire place will smell of your farts.

Start with Thiero and Sheppard. Then see what other three wants to play as hard and efficient as they do. Do not mistreat those two. Cal can do all the stupid coaching he wants, just don't mistreat any of the players. In my view of watching so far those two deserve to start and play starters minutes. Some may say they don't have to start if they just get the minutes they deserve. That is correct except for they have earned the right to start so why shouldn't they? Just another example of not doing a kid right. Those two stand out from the rest as far as giving us multiple things consistently.

Oh look it's game thread bi-polar Johnny...can you read as Li'l John or is it comprehension and consequential anger issues too much to cope with as Angry John?

See you in the game thread.
[laughing]

Einstein-meme

Last edited:
Oh look it's game thread bi-polar Johnny...can you read as Li'l John or is it comprehension and consequential anger issues too much to cope with as Angry John?

See you in the game thread.
[laughing]

Einstein-meme
Any time someone deflects from their statement and can't back it up, you know they are wrong and a moron.

CLANK!!!
NuAmhCa.png
Let's revisit this post at the end of the year. I guarantee you that you will be wrong. But continue to demonstrate that you don't know ball. It's all good brother.

This guy is clearly a troll CatPhight. I wouldn't waste your time on the guy anymore.
I'm not going to argue with you ole farsight. You consistently demonstrate how much you don't understand basketball on this forum. I'm just trying to help you not look so ignorant.

Maybe we need all 4 to play. Why does someone that was 3-17 considered to be one of the most consistent when we have when we've seen that type of game before.

Any time someone deflects from their statement and can't back it up, you know they are wrong and a moron.
Deflects? You either can't read or comprehend thread boi - let's recap...

I said - A lot of ball yet to be played, and I hope I'm wrong, but so far...

You said - This is a terribly stupid comparison. It's been 3 freaking games.

Maybe you should stick to anger in game threads Johnny, since reading and comprehension is obviously not your strong suit... [laughing]

Dillingham, Sheppard, Mitchell and Thiero have the highest PER on the team, in that order. Those 4 guys should be playing the majority of the minutes right now, with Wagner/Reeves/Edwards rotating in the last spot depending on who's playing the best at the time

Let's revisit this post at the end of the year. I guarantee you that you will be wrong. But continue to demonstrate that you don't know ball. It's all good brother.
Like I stated in the post you originally quoted...

"A lot of ball yet to be played, and I hope I'm wrong, but so far..."
and so far, Edwards is soft as F and Wagner couldn't buy a shot against like competition...

OP, 3 of those guys DID play 25+, actually 30+ minutes. And a 4th didn't because he was in foul trouble. Now maybe he wouldn't have anyway, or maybe we would have, we'll never know.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT