ADVERTISEMENT

The case for Tommy Lloyd

Now I know people are gonna say he’s struggled in the tourney which he definitely has. But one thing I like about lloyd is he’s got a beat on the international recruiting scene. If drew oats Hurley and Donovan are all nays then Tommy would be my pick. Think he’s ready for a step up
---
13 posts.

Reactions: Blueworld_3.0
I don't care how many posts you have, I think it makes sense to look at coaches like Lloyd, McDermott, etc. I think it's a mistake to put so much emphasis on how much tournament success a coach has had. We have rarely done that when we hired prior coaches.

Last edited:
Now I know people are gonna say he’s struggled in the tourney which he definitely has. But one thing I like about lloyd is he’s got a beat on the international recruiting scene. If drew oats Hurley and Donovan are all nays then Tommy would be my pick. Think he’s ready for a step up
Not a fan of a 2 first name head coach unless it’s Billy Donovan.

Reactions: CrimsonCats
Lloyd should have always been on the short list. Maybe he is/was.

Dude has won 27 plus his first three seasons and sniffed around 2 S16s. That's not bad starting out your HC journey.

Go all in with him right now.

Being from the Few/Zag lineage he's a program builder and developer of talent over the course of multiple years. They hauled in some underrated and overseas gems over the years and put some decent talent in the pros. Most importantly they were consistent.

I think he would do fine here. Donovan is not coming.
so now you have names like Pope, Smart, Pearl, Underwood.
If Donovan says no (which I think he will) I would think Lloyd is next in line.

Unless Donovan can give us some type of firm commitment and soon, he may be my top choice at this point. He’s on the younger end of the coaching spectrum, can recruit and work the portal, and plays a fun style. Lack of huge tournament success is what keeps him from being considered a home run, but I don’t think anything particular in his philosophy is the cause of that. Feels like perfect timing to get him now before he does go on a run and becomes closer to untouchable at Arizona.

Reactions: DDMatUK=NBA
He’s never been worse than a 2 seed and Gonzaga has been noticeably worse since he’s left.

He’s a young head coach at a program that was in the dumps when he got there, I’m not shocked the Sweet 16 is as far as he’s been in his 3 tries.

I think what’s worth focusing on more is his 88-20 record and relatively young age. He could give us a decade or more.

Risk/reward could have a monster ceiling...
Risk could also be 12 wins in 2 seasons.
He’s never been worse than a 2 seed and Gonzaga has been noticeably worse since he’s left.

He’s a young head coach at a program that was in the dumps when he got there, I’m not shocked the Sweet 16 is as far as he’s been in his 3 tries.

I think what’s worth focusing on more is his 88-20 record and relatively young age. He could give us a decade or more.
Rick could too with the right medications.

I've been a Lloyd fan for a long time. The guy can recruit but, his post season success is non-existent. BUT, he is a West coast guy, has a huge buyout and is already the man at a high level program. Arizona will match a Kentucky offer to keep him.

I've been a Lloyd fan for a long time. The guy can recruit but, his post season success is non-existent. BUT, he is a West coast guy, has a huge buyout and is already the man at a high level program. Arizona will match a Kentucky offer to keep him.
Yes the pac-12 money will keep him there for awhile. Conference is thriving.

• Haha
Reactions: DDMatUK=NBA
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT