ADVERTISEMENT

The board wants Drew

See post 1 in this thread. I’m unimpressed. I also worry about his personality.

It’s ok. We can disagree
See what they were before him. The fact that Baylor is consistently a top 15 team year in and year out is remarkable considering what he took over. The only thing comparable is what Snyder did at KSU football.

You're correct about his personality not working for UK though.

Talent, good coaching plus some luck is the recipe for a NC. We have had young inexperienced talent, not much of the other two.

Reactions: TM2013
Drew would win at UK. You can’t win at Baylor and not win at UK. Drew took one of the 5 worst power 5 jobs and turned them into a program many here expect to have more tournament success than sweet 16’s. It’s probably the most impressive build out of anyone coaching. To state he would be a bad hire or even shouldnt be considered on a top 10 list is very bizarre.

Having said that I don’t know if he should be the top choice, but Drew would be the most accomplished coach we’ve ever hired at Kentucky. The guy is also brining in top 3 players, to Waco Texas, a dead town who doesn’t follow basketball.

There is no world where Scott Drew would be a bad hire. Not in the slightest. You could also add 1-3 more wins in each one of those seasons listed with the talent he can’t get right now but could at UK. Tubby smith from Georgia to Kentucky then Minnesota and Memphis is the example.

Tubby Smith elite 8’s

at Georgia - 0

Kentucky - 5

Minnesota - 0

Memphis - 0

This job elevates coaches.

See post 1 in this thread. I’m unimpressed. I also worry about his personality.

It’s ok. We can disagree
Baylor’s basketball history before Drew is almost nonexistent. I was there before, during and after the scandal. Baylor basketball sucked and when the scandal hit, it was infinitely worse. They literally held open tryouts to fill out a roster.

I don't want Drew but that 10-year record is clearly better than what Cal has turned in the last 10 years. So Drew would be some kind of improvement even if he wouldn't recruit better at Kentucky, which he definitely would. Why are so many people judging Drew by a higher standard than what they use to judge Cal?

Not to mention, wait 18 months and Drew's 10-year record will suddenly look A LOT better than Cal's.

Oats has traditional power and regular Final Four participant Alabama in the Sweet 16 for the third time in four years. Not to mention he’s won two of the last four SEC regular season championships. In what universe is that not an upgrade over 2020’s Cal?
They literally guarded worse than us this year and still made the sweet 16 lol.

Reactions: gojvc
Calipari years before UK
09 Sweet 16
08 runner up
07 Elite 8
06 Elite 8
05 NIT
04 Round of 32
03 First round
02 NIT
01 NIT
96 Final Four
95 Elite 8
94 round of 32
93 round of 32
92 sweet 16
91 NIT
90 NIT

according to the logic of the OP, Cal was not a good hire huh

Hurley is probably farthest from realistic. He's already at a blue blood, coming off a national championship, maybe another one this year. He's also the epitome of a northeast guy. And on top of that, this is like wanting Bill Self to become the coach of UK. I hate UConn like I hate Kansas ... This is such a "can't beat em so join em" move. Please stop with the Hurley talk. He ain't coming and personally I sure as hell don't want him!
Kentucky calling would make him very rich one way or another. Either he goes to uk or UCOnn gives him a big contract. I’m not sold he won’t leave UCOnn. You at least give it a shot.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Drew would win at UK. You can’t win at Baylor and not win at UK. Drew took one of the 5 worst power 5 jobs and turned them into a program many here expect to have more tournament success than sweet 16’s. It’s probably the most impressive build out of anyone coaching. To state he would be a bad hire or even shouldnt be considered on a top 10 list is very bizarre.

Having said that I don’t know if he should be the top choice, but Drew would be the most accomplished coach we’ve ever hired at Kentucky. The guy is also brining in top 3 players, to Waco Texas, a dead town who doesn’t follow basketball.

There is no world where Scott Drew would be a bad hire. Not in the slightest. You could also add 1-3 more wins in each one of those seasons listed with the talent he can’t get right now but could at UK. Tubby smith from Georgia to Kentucky then Minnesota and Memphis is the example.

Tubby Smith elite 8’s

at Georgia - 0

Kentucky - 5

Minnesota - 0

Memphis - 0

This job elevates coaches.
Hiring drew is basically like hiring Rick Barnes.

Neither are coming to Ky
Note this is directed at phatty not JC Cats who is a smart decent poster :😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣😆😆😆Man you really live on another planet don't you. Neither would even ENTERTAIN the thought of coming here . Like Ever. Man you are worst kinda of fan the one who sets expectations so high they can never be happy. Drew , The Zona coach ,. SHaka Smart, pEARL , mussellman , the Bama coach and a very very very off chance but possible Donovan . Wright is never coming back to coaching due to NIL he has said as much and Stevens is never coming back to college . Hey how about we dig up Rupp's corpse ? It is as likely. Man I know posters and human beings like you shouldn't get under my skin but it irks me to know people are this dumb and unrealistic in this world and my kids have to grow up around this .

Reactions: ace on the river
Why he’s not a upgrade
Scott Drew last 10 seasons:
24: Round of 32
23: Round of 32
22: Round of 32
21: National Championship
19: Round of 32
18: Missed tournament
17: Sweet 16
16: First round
15: First round
14: Sweet 16
Put Cal's record against that for comparison.

Kentucky calling would make him very rich one way or another. Either he goes to uk or UCOnn gives him a big contract. I’m not sold he won’t leave UCOnn. You at least give it a shot.
Sure, ok. My issue is more the fact that everyone wants a rival's coach. Again, just a very Kevin Durant to the Warriors kind of move, with UK being Kevin Durant. I would much rather we beat Hurley instead of asking him to come save us (after he's potentially won back to back at hated UConn).

Why he’s not a upgrade
Scott Drew last 10 seasons:
24: Round of 32
23: Round of 32
22: Round of 32
21: National Championship
19: Round of 32
18: Missed tournament
17: Sweet 16
16: First round
15: First round
14: Sweet 16

Yeah, I'm good.

Hurley is probably farthest from realistic. He's already at a blue blood, coming off a national championship, maybe another one this year. He's also the epitome of a northeast guy. And on top of that, this is like wanting Bill Self to become the coach of UK. I hate UConn like I hate Kansas ... This is such a "can't beat em so join em" move. Please stop with the Hurley talk. He ain't coming and personally I sure as hell don't want him!
I agree bro....I just fixed my post. Meant call Hurley and Lloyd, Lloyd being most realistic and best fit. Sorry just edited my post.

Calipari years before UK
09 Sweet 16
08 runner up
07 Elite 8
06 Elite 8
05 NIT
04 Round of 32
03 First round
02 NIT
01 NIT
96 Final Four
95 Elite 8
94 round of 32
93 round of 32
92 sweet 16
91 NIT
90 NIT

according to the logic of the OP, Cal was not a good hire huh
And the ‘96 and ‘08 postseasons were vacated so Cal didn’t do crap before he got to UK. I actually do give him credit for those seasons but I use to get into debates with Cal that didn’t want to give Pitino credit for the 2013 season but act like Calipari accomplished so much before UK.

Drew who is not an upgrade and pearl who just did the same thing we’re mad at cal for

For me- it’s jay wright or Stevens or we reassess next season with more money.
Why do you think either of those are in any way realistic choices? Jay Wright is 62 and retired. The present state of College Basketball is the reason he hung it up when he did. Why do you think coming to UK is going to make that all better?

Steven's is PRESIDENT of the Boston Celtics and in contention for an NBA championship. He's a great coach, but an even better Businessman. There are only a handful of gigs in the coaching world that I would say are better than Coaching UK basketball and President of one of the most storied NBA teams would be on that list. If he was just making $6 mil or so coaching a mediocre NBA team and had only had mediocre success coaching at the NBA level, then I might say there's a chance and you make the call, but that isn't the case with Stevens.

The biggest issue is that it’s a massive drop off from what seems to be the consensus top 3 (Wright, Donovan, Stevens) to the next level of guys. And the percentage of one of those top 3 coming is pretty slim.

Every guy mentioned in that next level is going to have holes in their resume that can be picked apart. Drew and his lack of success after the title, Lloyd and his early exits as a top 2 seed, etc.

I’m not sure who the answer is and knowing the Cal experience has not been good for Mitch, I’m also concerned that he won’t go after the best possible candidate if he doesn’t feel he’d be great to work with.

I’ve talked about this before…if those top 3 are a no go, which they probably will be, is there a short term fix for 3-5 years. Almost like Bill Guthridge at UNC.

Kelvin Sampson could win a title here in 3-5 years. I realize he’s 68, but that sure as hell isn’t stopping him from having Houston as a top 5 program the last handful of years.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I don't want Drew but that 10-year record is clearly better than what Cal has turned in the last 10 years. So Drew would be some kind of improvement even if he wouldn't recruit better at Kentucky, which he definitely would. Why are so many people judging Drew by a higher standard than what they use to judge Cal?

Not to mention, wait 18 months and Drew's 10-year record will suddenly look A LOT better than Cal's.

I prefer someone else, but it’s very bizarre (not even understandable) that we’re holding Baylor and Scott Drew to a standard we aren’t even holding Calipari to lol.

Not to mention not realizing Baylor basketball was the worst p5 job when he took over. I think some posters need to go to Wacko and see for themselves what he did.

Oats has traditional power and regular Final Four participant Alabama in the Sweet 16 for the third time in four years. Not to mention he’s won two of the last four SEC regular season championships. In what universe is that not an upgrade over 2020’s Cal?
Oats is who I want the most but apparently his buyout is pretty steep. But I’m sure he’d make the jump

Reactions: gojvc
The biggest issue is that it’s a massive drop off from what seems to be the consensus top 3 (Wright, Donovan, Stevens) to the next level of guys. And the percentage of one of those top 3 coming is pretty slim.

Every guy mentioned in that next level is going to have holes in their resume that can be picked apart. Drew and his lack of success after the title, Lloyd and his early exits as a top 2 seed, etc.

I’m not sure who the answer is and knowing the Cal experience has not been good for Mitch, I’m also concerned that he won’t go after the best possible candidate if he doesn’t feel he’d be great to work with.

I’ve talked about this before…if those top 3 are a no go, which they probably will be, is there a short term fix for 3-5 years. Almost like Bill Guthridge at UNC.

Kelvin Sampson could win a title here in 3-5 years. I realize he’s 68, but that sure as hell isn’t stopping him from having Houston as a top 5 program the last handful of years.
Wright Donovan and stevens are done coaching college they’re not even in the picture

Reactions: stuway
This thread is pathetic. All of these guys are top coaching candidates and you have people of this board poo pooing each one. It is probably better then that UK sticks with Cal.

Also, all of those guys have much stronger resumes than Billy Clyde did when he was hired. And so many on here were elated when UK hired him.

Reactions: KTBFFH92
I prefer someone else, but it’s very bizarre (not even understandable) that we’re holding Baylor and Scott Drew to a standard we aren’t even holding Calipari to lol.

Not to mention not realizing Baylor basketball was the worst p5 job when he took over. I think some posters need to go to Wacko and see for themselves what he did.
I'm not as harsh on the possibility of Drew...maybe because I'm preparing myself for him to be the guy. What he did to take that program from where it was to where it is now, is remarkable. Probably the greatest turnaround in college basketball history.

With that said, that was 20 years ago, so I do believe he should be evaluated on the program now (just as Cal is). Something just seems stagnant with that program since he won the title, getting beat by 3 lower seeded teams the last 3 years in the 2nd round.

I know people mention that the resources at UK are vastly superior to Baylor. While it should be easier to win at UK, Baylor is no slouch in the world of college athletics now. New basketball arena that opened in January, new basketball practice facility that opened in January, $2 billion endowment, mega boosters, all in on NIL (they have a great NIL site:

https://nil.baylorbears.com/

It just seems like a "vanilla" hire. But, as I mentioned in an earlier post, any candidate outside the top, most likely non-reachable guys, is going to have holes in their coaching resume.

I wouldn't dislike it if Drew was the next guy, but he just doesn't seem like a Kentucky guy to me. If it was my call, first call I'm making is Brad Stevens, then Hurley, then Donovan. If all turn it down I'd gauge the market for Beard and if it's still not there I may re-evaluate.

No it's baptist. He's Cal if his goal was to get guys into heaven and not the NBA.

Quotes from him in the past, the first is why he'd never come here.

"Baylor University gives you that opportunity. Spiritually we're allowed to have an impact in our players' lives, so many of my coaching friends [that] are devout in their faith are at institutions where they can't."

"All that matters is when I get to those gates, God's not going to say 'What was your record?, How many players did you help get to the pros? How many championships did you win?' So at the end of the day I am making sure (the players) are winning the game of life."

"If you have the right foundation and you know that Jesus has a plan for your life and you trust Him in handling your future then you can relax and enjoy the game of basketball, you can enjoy the game of life and at the end of the day winning the game of life is a lot more important than the game."

"Everything we do around the program is Christ-centered."

"Seeing the spiritual growth guys. Players who accept Christ, players who maybe prayed for the first time with the team, players who get baptized, players who come back and get Bible studies and go to church and you know that's what really exciting."

Anyone but a crazy bible banger, keep religion out of the basketball program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT