ADVERTISEMENT

The board wants Drew

I see most saying they don't want him. I don't want him

Call Wright, Hurley, Lloyd in that order. Lioyd is most realistic and probably best fit. Maybe Drew is an upgrade over Cal with our resources and brand. Idk

Last edited:
Scott Drew is the first call and Todd Golden is the second. Lamont Paris would be my 3rd.

Pearl or anyone not named the 3 above would be a mistake in my opinion. Hurly, Stevens, Donovon, Wright aren’t coming here so I don’t consider those type of guys as options.

Let me first say that I don't know a lot about Drew...just what I've read. I've seen him and team a couple of times. I have nothing bad to say about him. But my gut is saying not a good choice. I'm 65 years old and my gut has only been wrong a few times. Glad I don't have to make that decision.🤣

Scott Drew is the first call and Todd Golden is the second. Lamont Paris would be my 3rd.

Pearl or anyone not named the 3 above would be a mistake in my opinion. Hurly, Stevens, Donovon, Wright aren’t coming here so I don’t consider those type of guys as options.
Problem is paying the buyout to their current schools (on top of $33m to get rid of Calipari).

Oats new contract is $17m buyout to ALA
Todd Golden just got a raise and extension at FLA (not sure what buyout is)
Lamont Paris is like Dusty May.. I'd want to see a couple more years
Iowa State guy is $18m
Tommy Lloyd just got a raise an extension (again not sure of buyout)
Stevens is riding high with Celtics.. not coming here or back to college
Donovan, doubt he comes back to college
Hurley not leaving Uconn, and his personality with fans would be worse than Calipari
Doubt Jay Wright would leave his "part time" cushy job in the studio for 24/7/365 recruiting and NIL

Mitch's problem is finding a better replacement that will come and we can afford

I’m not a Drew guy either. My first choice is Wright. He’s a coach I could feel good about and he’s a good guy. Not a jerk like our current situation. I’d offer him a very respectable salary with even bigger incentives with success. His ability in conjunction with our resources would be tough to beat IMO. As far as second choice, I’m not sure but it might be worth a small gamble to grab a mid major guy who is killing it.

I'm no expert, but I also question if he'd be allowed to have everything he does around program be "Christ centered" at a public university.
I believe in a public university, there can be no discriminating for or against. If he were to "require" pre game prayers, Bible study, etc. like he has at Baylor, he could open up the university to lawsuits. Baylor is affiliated with Baptists.

I see most saying they don't want him. I don't want him

Call Wright, Hurley, Lloyd in that order. Hurley us most realistic and probably best fit. Maybe Drew is an upgrade over Cal with our resources and brand. Idk
Hurley is probably farthest from realistic. He's already at a blue blood, coming off a national championship, maybe another one this year. He's also the epitome of a northeast guy. And on top of that, this is like wanting Bill Self to become the coach of UK. I hate UConn like I hate Kansas ... This is such a "can't beat em so join em" move. Please stop with the Hurley talk. He ain't coming and personally I sure as hell don't want him!

I wouldn't be opposed to Drew BUT his resume has been spotty at best. You can chalk that up to being at Baylor, which is not a premier school in the Big 12 but if we had that many early exits people would be losing their minds. So if you hire him what you are betting on is that he could do much better with more resources.

After today's loss, though, my view soured a lot. No excuse for them to lose to the Clemson team that they did. Period.

The board may have a lot of money but I hope they remember there’s a lot more of us fans than there are of them.

The idea that someone will magically emerge that is a better candidate than Cal is ridiculous. But it’s time for him to go. And Cal wasn’t really Cal before UK. Just like Rick wasn’t really Rick and Tubby wasn’t really Tubby. We’ll get someone and they’ll rise to the occasion and be great or crumble under the pressure and we’ll start over again. Great programs build great coaches.

No it's baptist. He's Cal if his goal was to get guys into heaven and not the NBA.

Quotes from him in the past, the first is why he'd never come here.

"Baylor University gives you that opportunity. Spiritually we're allowed to have an impact in our players' lives, so many of my coaching friends [that] are devout in their faith are at institutions where they can't."

"All that matters is when I get to those gates, God's not going to say 'What was your record?, How many players did you help get to the pros? How many championships did you win?' So at the end of the day I am making sure (the players) are winning the game of life."

"If you have the right foundation and you know that Jesus has a plan for your life and you trust Him in handling your future then you can relax and enjoy the game of basketball, you can enjoy the game of life and at the end of the day winning the game of life is a lot more important than the game."

"Everything we do around the program is Christ-centered."

"Seeing the spiritual growth guys. Players who accept Christ, players who maybe prayed for the first time with the team, players who get baptized, players who come back and get Bible studies and go to church and you know that's what really exciting."
Wow what a horrible guy can’t have someone like that. Would rather keep the glorified thief CCC

Drew isn’t like a wow hire but compared to Cal it’s like having Phil Jackson. I’d take the St. Peter’s coach from two years ago or the Oakland guy dead serious

Reactions: Pulaski Cat Fan
Wow what a horrible guy can’t have someone like that. Would rather keep the glorified thief CCC
Did I say he was a horrible guy? You all spent 15 years complaining about how Cal doesn't put UK basketball first and neither would Drew. Winning basketball is the second priority for him when he coaches. Not to mention the fact that he wouldn't be able to do any of that at a public university.

Those quotes show he would not come here. He's got other priorities.

• Haha
Reactions: KTBFFH92
As a UK graduate he absolutely would not. My college was forced to remove a Christmas tree from their offfices.
Then maybe they don’t deserve to have a winning team anyway. I’m sure they wouldn’t care if drew was Muslim. They’d beat the door down to hire him cuz we’re embracing diversity

Then maybe they don’t deserve to have a winning team anyway. I’m sure they wouldn’t care if drew was Muslim. They’d beat the door down to hire him cuz we’re embracing diversity
You're just not getting it are you? A guy who is encouraged to preach to his players by his University and starts every team meeting in prayer because that's how he wants to coach isn't coming to a place where that wouldn't be allowed. It would be like Cal taking a new job where he wasn't allowed to recruit freshmen. It's not happening.

You're just not getting it are you? A guy who is encouraged to preach to his players by his University and starts every team meeting in prayer because that's how he wants to coach isn't coming to a place where that wouldn't be allowed. It would be like Cal taking a new job where he wasn't allowed to recruit freshmen. It's not happening.
Right and I’m saying the fact it’s not allowed is outrageous and perhaps for that reason they don’t deserve anyone better than Cal who’s a rat frick

Reactions: FrankUnderwood2.0
The idea that someone will magically emerge that is a better candidate than Cal is ridiculous. But it’s time for him to go. And Cal wasn’t really Cal before UK. Just like Rick wasn’t really Rick and Tubby wasn’t really Tubby. We’ll get someone and they’ll rise to the occasion and be great or crumble under the pressure and we’ll start over again. Great programs build great coaches.
There's a chance that there's a coach in the tournament who will garner momentum for the position based on a great tournament showing. Shaka, Oats, and Underwood will be hot names if they make runs. Of course, they all may fizzle in the next game lol

Unless we can pull from the NBA ranks, pull a former college coach out of retirement, hire a former coach, or hire Bill Self, we aren't going to find a resume comparable to Cal's. There are only like 4 coaches who get the opportunity to coach at one of the all time great basketball schools in a given year. Coaches at these schools have tradition and resource access that no other school can offer. The pool of guys to get someone who is better on paper through 30 years of coaching is small. A coach of sufficiently young age would be disqualified from a strict tournament resume analysis due to a small number of opportunities.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood2.0
Why would you fire cal for oats?
It’s not an upgrade.
You’d just lose money
Oats has traditional power and regular Final Four participant Alabama in the Sweet 16 for the third time in four years. Not to mention he’s won two of the last four SEC regular season championships. In what universe is that not an upgrade over 2020’s Cal?

Reactions: TM2013 and Fox2monk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT