ADVERTISEMENT

The best true point guard to ever play at Kentucky was..

I will go with Tyler Ulis. Just think bout the hardware he could have brought in....as a four year player!

This guy:

will-ferrell-semi-pro.jpg

Reactions: IL Wildcat
I will go with Tyler Ulis. Just think bout the hardware he could have brought in....as a four year player!
Huge Ulis fan here, kid does much more with less, but give me Fox and/or Wall for four years. Both are cut out of the same cloth, so I don't care which one you choose, but if I had to I would say Fox.

Reactions: bigbuf
The best "prototypical" point guard before the 1990s was Kyle Macy. No one better.

But then the game changed and players became taller and more athletic as generations passed. Point guards today play all over the court, shoot more, run more, jump higher, etc. So I would choose John Wall post-1990s.

BUT, Ulis is an interesting case. He is a reflection of both generations. Heady and steady -- a coach on the floor type -- like Kyle. And a great athlete with the ability to run and gun with the best of them. You can't go wrong with choosing him.

JMO

Rondo

Pure pass first point guard and really did not get played in an offense that could showcase his skills. Whereas Wall/Fox/Ullis had Cousins, Bledsoe, Murray, Monk, Towns, etc. to pass the ball to and get assists along with a coach who let him play his game(completely changed his offensive philosophy to mold the team around him)...Rondo his sophomore year had Sparks, Bobby Perry, Woo, Crawford, Bradley, and half a year of Randolph along with Tubby who would not change for his strengths.

I think Wall is a 1b candidate as well, but Wall was more athletic and could takeover a game scoring as well. Put Rondo on a Cal team with talent around him...you would've seen a triple doubles and some high total assist games.

Its close.

Reactions: 420grover
Question was a true point, and that's Ullis or Rondo. They are the coach and the PG.

Wall is something different. A better basketball player, and he impacts the game in a totally different way. His team plays and reacts off of him. He breaks down d with alien like speed and agility. Ullis and rondo break down the d with their minds. They're just always 1 or 2 steps ahead.

Stats have no place in this discussion. It's how they play the position, and true pg is a very specific definition of the PG position.

If you just said PG, it's John wall, and not really close. He is the best player at that position. Not a true point, though. The true PG is sort of a dying position. You really need to be a combo guard.

Reactions: hotelblue
John Wall, who was the best or at worst second best player in the country, as a freshman, leading an almost entirely rebuilt roster to a 35-3 record and a 1 seed.

Reactions: KY_Kid

Mind boggling how dumb some UK fans are.

Turner (as a senior) - 10.4 points, 3.9 assists, 1.5 steals, 2.8 rebounds
Wall - 16.6 points, 6.6 assists, 1.8 steals, 4.5 rebounds; SEC POY, Consensus All-American, All-SEC team, BSBWA National Freshman of the Year

Yep, exactly the same

Did Louie Dampier play the point while he was at UK? Would think he'd be in the conversation. HIs shot was pure drano.

Reactions: chevyman 50
before my time (slightly) but I have heard the really old timers rave about Ralph Beard.

The old players are cool...but that was a totally different era of basketball and the game has evolved WAY past them...TRUTH...John Wall, Demarcus Cousins and company..would beat the fab five by 50.... that is going to be unpopular for the old timers, but there is no doubt. In fact, the Fab five wouldn't win a game against any UK team of the past 8 years...wouldn't even compete.

Wayne Turner by a mile.

Two titles trumps everything else.

Hell, Wall didn't get us to the Final Four.
So Teague is better than Ulis and wall? Team game. Ships are a product of the team in college. Turner just could never shoot. Not polished player.

Reactions: brianpoe
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT