ADVERTISEMENT

The Allstar game is such a joke

RexShepcat

Freshman
Jul 13, 2006
Six players shot 95% of the shots while the remaining players who play zero defense and never get a pass stand and watch. A waste of two plus hours. The only reason I watched it was because four UK players were on the roster. You could tell most of the players were just waiting for it to be over.

It really is just pageantry at this point.. and I'm kind of fine with that honestly. I had a good laugh when Giannis literally picked a player that was't even available and all the players lost their shit about it, along with Barkley and company.

It's not a game, but a celebration of ... something. Basketball, maybe? I never watch it. The MLB All-Star game is competitive, so I watch that one.
You watch a baseball game? That doesn't matter?
At least an exhibition basketball game shows off athleticism.
Dunks, passes, long range shooting.
I guess real baseball and fake baseball look the same.
3 hours of batters stepping out of the box to readjust their golf glove.

You're not a fan of baseball. I get it. I love baseball and like celebrating the sport in the middle of summer. It's the best all-star game.

It really is just pageantry at this point.. and I'm kind of fine with that honestly. I had a good laugh when Giannis literally picked a player that was't even available and all the players lost their shit about it, along with Barkley and company.
Yeah. When the Pro Bowl became a joke they finally just went to flag football
And it actually made it better instead of pretending it was real football. At least the guys were trying to make plays since the risk of injury was lower. Had a backyard football feel.

NBA should go to 3 on 3 tournament or a 1v1 double elimination tournament. Throw in HORSE for one of the events. It would make it more relatable

Last edited:
The NBA is absolute trash. Last game I went to I kept on falling asleep. Grizzlies vs. Celtics.

How anyone likes the NBA is beyond me. Worst sports league of them all. And that includes Hockey.

Cannot ever figure out what someone likes about it. And players are just jumping everywhere, there’s no loyalty or faces of the franchises, just nothing to stick to. Then the games are just trash.

I hear the Chinese like it. They should move it over there and let them have it.

Yeah. When the Pro Bowl became a joke they finally just went to flag football
And it actually made it better instead of pretending it was real football. At least the guys were trying to mark w plays since the risk of injury was lower. Had a backyard football feel.

NBA should go to 3 on 3 tournament or a 1v1 double elimination tournament. Throw in HORSE for one of the events. It would make it more relatable

I think the NBA has been great about this by adding events for this weekend. Adam Silver is the best commish in sports, at least in the sense of doing the right things to improve and grow the NBA.

Reactions: EliteBlue
Don’t tell Pete Rose it’s fake baseball or he might run you over like he did Ray Fosse.

I love the NBA. I watch it almost every night. The all star game is not really a game. It's just an exhibition. It doesn't excite me as a competition because it's not. It's like going to watch UK in the Bahamas. Just a celebration.

It's crazy how some shots have become part of the game now. Shots that would get you benched for taking back in my days.

I don't care much for the other activities of the week end anymore. They have even gimmicked up the 3 point contest. The dunk contest used to be a favorite but it's lost it's luster and the best players don't participate. Although McClung made this one interesting.

Lot of parity in the NBA this season. There's 5 or 6 teams at this point with a real shot at the title.

Six players shot 95% of the shots while the remaining players who play zero defense and never get a pass stand and watch. A waste of two plus hours. The only reason I watched it was because four UK players were on the roster. You could tell most of the players were just waiting for it to be over.
I think that’s what they are going for. In a high school or college type All-star game you are trying to impress scouts and that’s why these games are competitive. The nba is the highest level of basketball and it’s more for show. It might not be for everyone. If you are watching and hoping for a great technical game, you are going to be disappointed

NBA died when Bird, Jordan and Magic retired those guys tried to win allstar games they could not stand to lose at anything. I tried to remain interested when Ja went in as I am from Murray and he does a lot of high wire acts, but it is mostly drive to paint kick it out for a three and that is not to much Basketball to me, I tried to watch a little of game last night after 3 minutes I had seen enough and went back to Gunsmoke reruns.

I think that’s what they are going for. In a high school or college type All-star game you are trying to impress scouts and that’s why these games are competitive. The nba is the highest level of basketball and it’s more for show. It might not be for everyone. If you are watching and hoping for a great technical game, you are going to be disappointed
It has continually gotten worse over the years. They would actually play defense at least in the second half not that long ago. Last night every single possession was just an uncontested 40’ three point shot or a ill get out of your way layup.
I totally realize it’s not a normal game and they don’t want injury. Maybe the biggest disappointment was only a handful of players got to shoot the ball and that’s no exaggeration.
I’ve watched them since the seventies and just the last few years has it become unwatchable.

NBA died when Bird, Jordan and Magic retired those guys tried to win allstar games they could not stand to lose at anything. I tried to remain interested when Ja went in as I am from Murray and he does a lot of high wire acts, but it is mostly drive to paint kick it out for a three and that is not to much Basketball to me, I tried to watch a little of game last night after 3 minutes I had seen enough and went back to Gunsmoke reruns.
I agree. Poor Ja didn’t get to touch the ball but once or twice. I like your alternate choice!

Reactions: jrm693
I agree with most of the posters here that the NBA has become unwatchable for many reasons. It's awful basketball to watch as there are no fundamentals, no switching defenses, everything is one on one and drive or kick out for a 3. Plus when they made their politics well known that was the last straw for me.

I don’t care about the politics part. The one on one drive and kick out for a three part is what kills it for me. Nothing about it is interesting. Give me the 90s Knicks/Bulls/Pacers kind of games. Blood, sweat and tears. Those dudes cared. This generation cares about stuff, just not the game.

I'd like to see some limits to reward all the players with a more "We" approach. Maybe disqualify all players after they score 20 points or take 15 shots. It reminds me of having to go to a committee meeting ran by the head of the department who never ask anyone for their opinion. I can't imagine getting voted to the all star game just to stand next to Tatum and the likes while they take over 30 shots. A horse tournament would be more entertaining.

To be clear, I'd totally watch the best of the best shoot horse.

Reactions: chroix
Yep. The only all star game that's been worth a damn over time is baseball.

The NBA is absolute trash. Last game I went to I kept on falling asleep. Grizzlies vs. Celtics.

How anyone likes the NBA is beyond me. Worst sports league of them all. And that includes Hockey.

Cannot ever figure out what someone likes about it. And players are just jumping everywhere, there’s no loyalty or faces of the franchises, just nothing to stick to. Then the games are just trash.

I hear the Chinese like it. They should move it over there and let them have it.
Yep. NBA entices me to watch as much as a dead opposum makes me hungry.

I didn't watch the game. So did they choose the teams just before the start of the game?

Reactions: UKUGA
Went to a Charlotte hornets game with a family member last year the game was so boring the hornets got whooped but they seemed like they didn’t really give crap. Lamelo went home in his lambo 😂

• Haha
Reactions: deep3
All star game is bad but whoever in here is saying the NBA is unwatchable . I hope they don’t think that college basketball is watchable .
Yep. My NBA watching vs college basketball watching is totally inverted. The NBA features the best players on the planet doing amazing things with the basketball in a free flowing game, while for the most part, college basketball is a rock fight dominated by sloppy play, bricked shots and wildly inconsistent officiating. I couldn't tell you the last college basketball game I watched from tip to final horn that didn't involve UK or ETSU. It's just a horrible product that's in need of a major rules and officiating overhaul right now.

As for the NBA All Star game, I watch the 3 point and dunk contests, but probably haven't watched more than a few minutes of the actual game since the 80s. It's like the Pro Bowl. I love the NFL, but it's mostly just some guys goofing off. Same for the NBA All Star game. Even the MLB game has lost it's appeal for me since interleague play started.

Reactions: shaudyshaud
NBAers don't care about 90% of the regular season. So why would they care about a game that matters even less? The NBA is just an all around crap product. Superstars picking when they feel like playing. Games actually beginning with 5:00 left. The playoffs lasting eight months. I get that some people find entertainment in it, and glad they do. Different strokes. But I just can't watch that garbage on the regular. I might turn on the end of a mega game or the end of a game seven, but that's about it.

To be clear, I'd totally watch the best of the best shoot horse.
I'm all for that. These guys are skilled and fantastic athletes. Do some East vs West team skills competitions. Let them showcase that in a safe manner and put some skin in it so it means something and I think you'd seem it turn into something fun for players and fans.

I stopped watching the nba around 2000. All my childhood studs were out of the league by then and the games just didn't seem as fun to watch anymore. The All Star games used to be competitive as well as the saturday night stuff. That was must see tv. Not so much anymore.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT