ADVERTISEMENT

The 7 transfers shooting combined

Yes- these guys may shoot even better if they’re in a fun offense designed to get great looks.

No- those numbers may have been compiled against lesser teams/athletes and may not be an accurate prediction.

Still, an interesting stat. I wonder what their collective FT % is?

Yes- these guys may shoot even better if they’re in a fun offense designed to get great looks.

No- those numbers may have been compiled against lesser teams/athletes and may not be an accurate prediction.

I am betting not too shabby...

Reactions: chroix

Surprisingly low, at 70%.

The problem is, the three best shooters, Brea, Carr, and Kriisa, don't shoot many free throws per game. They shot 11 per game between the three of them.

Wait!!!! Did you say designed to get great looks? Do coaches still do that? Is that even possible? Lol

At the risk of being pedantic, you can’t just average everyone’s individual percentage like that and come out with an accurate number for team percentage when the number of attempts aren’t the same for each player. It especially makes a difference here because Brea technically shot 87%, but only had 16 attempts all year.

When you add up the total attempts and makes for the 7 transfers, they were 450/660 last year, which comes to 68.2% with rounding, which would have been good for about 310th in the country. There may be room to hope for a slight improvement if Chandler and Perry get some minutes and shoot as well as their reputations, but I’d say free throws are a concern with this group.

At the risk of being pedantic, you can’t just average everyone’s individual percentage like that and come out with an accurate number for team percentage when the number of attempts aren’t the same for each player. It especially makes a difference here because Brea technically shot 87%, but only had 16 attempts all year.

When you add up the total attempts and makes for the 7 transfers, they were 450/660 last year, which comes to 68.2% with rounding, which would have been good for about 310th in the country. There may be room to hope for a slight improvement if Chandler and Perry get some minutes and shoot as well as their reputations, but I’d say free throws are a concern with this group.
Thank you for actually doing this correctly. It was driving me crazy as I read through the thread and I was hoping someone would say it.

Definitely need work on the freethrow shooting, but imo with all the 3's I think we will be taking will help with offsetting lack of freethrow shooting.

I think most of these guys played against good competition. They will not be out classed on athleticism or basketball IQ.
Adding 1 or 2 more scorers will be great. I'm still bullish on Pope and what he is going to accomplish here.
Four guys who started on P5 teams last year:

Kriisa- Big 12 (also played the 3 previous in the PAC-12)
Oweh- Big 12
Carr- ACC
Garrison- Big 12

Then you got Butler, who played in the Final Four and title game.

Also, Butler and Williams were both DPOY in their respective conferences.

Brea was the nation’s best 3 point shooter as well.

This core looks pretty good on paper. Good individual players. Hope they play well collectively.

Reactions: JasonRDunn
who would win? This year 7 transfers or the players that enter the portal?

Butler,Kriisa, Brea, Oweh Carr, Williams , Garrison.

Wagner, Hart, Burks, Thiero, Ugonna, Bradshaw, Ivisic?
If you mean Pope is coaching the transfers and Cal last years guys then I say the transfers.

This is what I like to see right here…

I get the point of this tweet but you should never just combine the offensive and defensive numbers to make an "average".

Alabama was 2nd overall in offensive eff. They were 111th in defensive. Combine the two would have u think they were in the 50s. They weren't tho. They were 14th overall after factoring in the actual numbers and made a final four.

The one telling figure I would use is this one:
Kentucky overall 23rd....................BYU overall 18th.

BYU was better with Pope than we were with Cal. At least last year anyways. If the two teams played on a neutral court, the true line should actually have BYU favored.

Pope is a good coach.

Reactions: CrimsonCats
Not going to lie I was disappointed in the hire when it happened. Took a 24 hour cool down period and then I was stoked. Then watched the introduction and honestly had tears of excitement. He wants this, he knows the expectations, and he won’t be out worked. What he put together in 3 weeks is nothing short of remarkable. He also in my opinion has put together a better coaching staff in 3 weeks then cal did here his entire tenure. I’m very bullish. We will have a team that can compete this year. It’s definitely exciting times to be a UK fan.

Butler's free throw percentage throws things off a bit and he hit 72%, 72%, and 73% in the 3 previous years before enduring a horrible slump to start last season. The last part of the year he got it out of his system and was back to his normal efficiency. Anybody that thinks 59% is more likely than 72-73% for him needs some math turoring. Estimating him at 70% puts the average around 73%, which is not great but also not terrible. Since both freshmen are much better than that I'd estimate the team will shoot nearly 75% from the line which will be okay.

Me too, several months ago and got lit up by the naysayers!!
Unfortunately, I am not surprised. I have certainly taken my lumps on this board. I post what I think and believe even if it isn't well received.

Butler's free throw percentage throws things off a bit and he hit 72%, 72%, and 73% in the 3 previous years before enduring a horrible slump to start last season. The last part of the year he got it out of his system and was back to his normal efficiency. Anybody that thinks 59% is more likely than 72-73% for him needs some math turoring. Estimating him at 70% puts the average around 73%, which is not great but also not terrible. Since both freshmen are much better than that I'd estimate the team will shoot nearly 75% from the line which will be okay.

I think the average will be fine. I guess the bigger key is will this be a team that gets there often.

So many of Cal's good teams in the beginning they made more free throws than their opponents even attempted.
Pope tends to like to shoot the 3 quite a bit so free throws might not even be that big part of our offense.

It is incredible to see the team that Pope and the same have put together in such a short time. Really excited about this team. Imagine those numbers if Robinson or Lanier come to make that number even higher.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT