ADVERTISEMENT

The 15 club

Buying tickets is not a contribution to building facilities. Who are we trying to kid here? You and I buy tickets for our own entertainment. There is nothing noble or unselfish about it. When you buy a ticket or an item of paraphernalia, you are purchasing useable merchandise for yourself. Licensing regulations may allow a little bit of that money to be diverted for use on a capital expenditure, but that has nothing whatsoever to do with your reasoning for making the purchase. LOL!
Sorry partner.... you lost it here..... I give to NIL et al... but the guys who give to the university via K-Club, support by buying tickets and attending games, or give to the university foundation etc, and decide not to give to the NIL have ZERO and I mean ZERO to explain to you or anyone else. They pull their weight. All the money goes into a bucket to support football and sports as well as building facilities and the University of Ky brand.

I cancelled two of the TV streamers our household doesn’t use much of anymore and now that $30/month goes to UK NIL.

Reactions: JHB4UK
Sorry partner.... you lost it here..... I give to NIL et al... but the guys who give to the university via K-Club, support by buying tickets and attending games, or give to the university foundation etc, and decide not to give to the NIL have ZERO and I mean ZERO to explain to you or anyone else. They pull their weight. All the money goes into a bucket to support football and sports as well as building facilities and the University of Ky brand.
Very weak response, Patrick. I never suggested anyone needs to explain anything to me. Read before bashing.

People can give or not. Nobody is trying to force anyone, as Vince Marrow made clear again last week. Just don't give us the victimization rap, the hatred, or the holier than thou baloney, partner.

Last edited:
I am a member. Lots of normal middle class UK fans are. It's not complicated at all. It's not a drain. It doesn't prevent or delay retirement. It doesn't keep you from having health insurance. You can give what you can afford. That's the reality.

Most of the opposition here is coming from people who are generally anti about most everything. This website is infested with negative, unhappy, and contrary people who enjoy diverting and distorting the football conversation interested fans are trying to have here.

You can complain all day about NIL. You can pontificate about why NIL shouldn't be a thing. You can play the victim and cite all the unfortunate things in your life. But NIL is a thing. It shouldn't be, but it is. The fact is that all of us run into challenges, but most of us don't use our life challenges on an online sports fan site as an excuse not to support University of Kentucky football.

Buying tickets is not a contribution to building facilities. Who are we trying to kid here? You and I buy tickets for our own entertainment. There is nothing noble or unselfish about it. When you buy a ticket or an item of paraphernalia, you are purchasing useable merchandise for yourself. Licensing regulations may allow a little bit of that money to be diverted for use on a capital expenditure, but that has nothing whatsoever to do with your reasoning for making the purchase. LOL!

If you don't want to skip a case of beer or a movie and give the money to the 15 Club instead, then don't. If you want to bitch about everything, no one is stopping you. Go right ahead. It's an anonymous board, so you won't have to take any responsibility. But please stop bitching about the 15 Club. And don't piss and moan when you don't have any credibility with the rest of us.
And, we can find ways to agree to disagree about things as menial as NIL without casting negative aspersions upon those with whom we disagree. It’s that uncomplicated. The bad guys are not those who disagree about NIL.

Buying season tix is, in fact, helping the program and the university. It’s a fact and not debatable. Filling a stadium has multiple benefits and, for some people, is a sacrifice. I gave away 1/2 of my tickets last year to people so that Cat fans would be in the stands. That helps recruiting, helps the athletic department and does in fact build buildings, if not directly, indirectly.

There is no reason for us to take offense when we disagree about NIL or about supporting this new NIL culture. My hope is that what I consider to be reason and common sense grabs hold and we find a structure that makes sense, rather than seeing universities financially bid for mercenaries to come to their program. And, of course, I don’t consider most athletes to be mercenaries. Rather, I think most are in a crazed culture and just trying to make their way. They are not the culprit.

I realize some in this new world love it, because it brings to light what they always have done in the dark. Others are just trying to support their school. I respect those who are trying to live in a new culture of sports. Those who decide not to, also have my respect.

Reactions: bigbluedon
Very weak response, Patrick. I never suggested anyone needs to explain anything to me. Read before bashing.

People can give or not. Nobody is trying to force anyone, as Vince Marrow made clear again last week. Just don't give us the victimization rap, the hatred, or the holier than thou baloney, partner.
Why is it a weak response?.... and if so, why respond. They have a right to gripe about anything they want. You said you buy tickets for entertainment... maybe some feel as if they are giving. Then you said lay off a caseof beer and give. these people are all adults, and I am sure they can manage their own budget. Who the fudge are you to lecture these people on how to feel about and spend their money? Talk about a weak response. Do I cut out my donation to wounded warriors or St Jude to give to NIL.? Some people have a budget.

Not believing two things can be true at the same time is the first major step in becoming a sheep. I’m a capitalist through and through, but parts of it needs to be kept in check.

Reactions: The-Hack
Why is it a weak response?.... and if so, why respond. They have a right to gripe about anything they want. You said you buy tickets for entertainment... maybe some feel as if they are giving. Then you said lay off a caseof beer and give. these people are all adults, and I am sure they can manage their own budget. Who the fudge are you to lecture these people on how to feel about and spend their money? Talk about a weak response. Do I cut out my donation to wounded warriors or St Jude to give to NIL.? Some people have a budget.

There you go again. No one said you don't have a "right to gripe". You are good at that.

I didn't suggest you should "choose between" Club 15 and the Wounded Warrior Project. I happen to contribute to both, and I'm pretty sure you can too. But if you don't want to, then just don't! One of the most dysfunctional aspects of participating here is the way some of you guys insist on misrepresenting what someone else said once you have decided to bash them. You still haven't accurately identified anything I actually said.

NIL is the current status quo. It shouldn't be, but it is. Nobody has to contribute. Nobody says you have to contribute. But if you aren't going to, then just don't. What purpose is served by bashing people like me who do? What purpose is served by campaigning on a thread like this one with excuses not to participate, as if to talk others out of participating? What's that about?

Coach Stoops and Coach Marrow have asked us to participate in the 15 Club if we can. The reality is that almost all of us could give a little. This thread asked who is participating. The thread isn't asking for fans to campaign against participation. If that's your idea of constructive discourse, you have every "right" to hijack the thread and fabricate complaints. All I'm saying is, don't be surprised if it hurts your credibility. I didn't suggest you have to explain anything to me.

And, we can find ways to agree to disagree about things as menial as NIL without casting negative aspersions upon those with whom we disagree. It’s that uncomplicated. The bad guys are not those who disagree about NIL.

Buying season tix is, in fact, helping the program and the university. It’s a fact and not debatable. Filling a stadium has multiple benefits and, for some people, is a sacrifice. I gave away 1/2 of my tickets last year to people so that Cat fans would be in the stands. That helps recruiting, helps the athletic department and does in fact build buildings, if not directly, indirectly.

There is no reason for us to take offense when we disagree about NIL or about supporting this new NIL culture. My hope is that what I consider to be reason and common sense grabs hold and we find a structure that makes sense, rather than seeing universities financially bid for mercenaries to come to their program. And, of course, I don’t consider most athletes to be mercenaries. Rather, I think most are in a crazed culture and just trying to make their way. They are not the culprit.

I realize some in this new world love it, because it brings to light what they always have done in the dark. Others are just trying to support their school. I respect those who are trying to live in a new culture of sports. Those who decide not to, also have my respect.
I never suggested otherwise. More rhetorical misrepresentation here. If you don't want to contribute, then don't.

No it won’t and I understand that. But I have worked too hard my entire life and I am trying to retire and there is no way I am giving any of my hard earned money to these spoiled kids that are going to play a game. And u don’t even know if they are going to stay at your school for more than a year. If UK football shut down because they can’t keep up, I am ok and it wouldn’t change my life one bit. I had season tickets for 14 years when my kids were young and we had great times going to games. But there are more important things in my life now. My wife had a heart attack two weeks ago and almost didn’t make it. Sports are way down my list of priorities. Gotta take care of my family. For those of you that are giving, God bless you and I hope you get a return on your investment.

I just don't see the point of posting things like this. Obviously, you have the right to spend your money as you please. But, most people who post here care deeply about UK athletics (and UK football, in particular)...this is clearly what it takes to win now, so I'm not sure how this kind of negative testimonial helps the cause in any way.

Reactions: Davae9 and JHB4UK
I just don't see the point of posting things like this. Obviously, you have the right to spend your money as you please. But, most people who post here care deeply about UK athletics (and UK football, in particular)...this is clearly what it takes to win now, so I'm not sure how this kind of negative testimonial helps the cause in any way.
Try to comprehend what I wrote is all I can say. Every person is different. Should not be up to the fans to do this crap. If you want to do it have at it. Not me pards.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT