ADVERTISEMENT

"That's the Baddest Mother*@%!#& in This Building"

This is high praise coming from me, but this might a better HS mixtape than John Wall. My Lord. I know his competition is pretty terrible, but for f*cks sake, it looks like he is playing on a Fisher Price mini hoop. Just absurd.

The mixtape in that article was the first one I've watched on him. The Larry Johnson comparisons are legit; that's exactly who he reminds me of.

Reactions: ib4ky
This is high praise coming from me, but this might a better HS mixtape than John Wall. My Lord. I know his competition is pretty terrible, but for f*cks sake, it looks like he is playing on a Fisher Price mini hoop. Just absurd.

The insane thing is he dominates just as much against legit talent, like at the Adidas circuit. He averaged like 28 and 11 rebounds. Can't argue talent there, because all those kids can ball at the college level.

People talk about the competition, and there might be merit to that if he didn't do the exact same thing on the AAU circuit against the best in the country.

He's just on a different level physically, but he also has a good handle for a 250 pounder, can turn over either shoulder on the block, doesn't have a broken shot, and maybe most importantly, understands where he's dominant.

In the Gauntlet, he was taking guys to 10-12 feet and just abusing them. When things get tough, he's not dancing and taking step back 30 footers. He's going to the rim.

Almost a cross between Julius Randle and Aaron Gordon. But his handle and shot are better.

Last edited:
Keep this in mind when you watch these tapes...look at size and skill that they play against

People talk about the competition, and there might be merit to that if he didn't do the exact same thing on the AAU circuit against the best in the country.

He's just on a different level physically, but he also has a good handle for a 250 pounder, can turn over either shoulder on the block, doesn't have a broken shot, and maybe most importantly, understands where he's dominant.

In the EYBL, he was taking guys to 10-12 feet and just abusing them. When things get tough, he's not dancing and taking step back 30 footers. He's going to the rim.

Almost a cross between Julius Randle and Aaron Gordon. But his handle and shot are better.

His footwork is amazing.

In term of body, he comes off smaller version of Lebron but instead of being a facilitator he's more of an aggressive scorer. However, you can tell from even in this highlight, he just seems aggressive... super aggressive.

cant shoot and that scares me off any player..
He really cant shoot right now.
IN COLLEGE he will see zone defense and zone defense will slow his ass from driving the lane. He cant shoot.

That's all I got. If zone defense didn't exist he be pretty damn tough. College coaches love zone becuz of this kinda player. :pimp:

Granted, I underestimated the impact AD would make. But I am more excited about ZW than any other UK/Calipari recruit.

IN COLLEGE he will see zone defense and zone defense will slow his ass from driving the lane. He cant shoot.

That's all I got. If zone defense didn't exist he be pretty damn tough. College coaches love zone becuz of this kinda player. :pimp:

Terrence Jones shot 32% from 3 at Kentucky. I see no reason Zion couldn't shoot at that clip. No one zones a power forward.

He'll either be roaming the baseline or at the free throw line. And if he's surrounded by guys like Quade and Quickley and Baker and maybe even Bol, you can't zone that team. Especially not the way Zion rebounds.

Keep this in mind when you watch these tapes...look at size and skill that they play against

I take it you didn't read the article at all. It's so easy to jump on a bandwagon of negativity without knowing the facts. Meyer, one of the most well respected recruiters in the country (though I still think MB3 is number 1 over ZW) talks about how he's more than just a dunker when asked to talk about Williamson. Even mentions that he doesn't get as many breakaway highlight dunks against the top competition, but still takes them to the woodshed.

In fact, THE most impressive thing about him isn't his highlight reels according to Meyer. It's the stuff that doesn't show up in a stat sheet, like how that lay up you just got was with 3 other players draped all over you. Or how you miss a free throw and get your own rebound to tie the game to send it to over time.

But since we're worried about the "competition" he plays against in most of his videos, it'll be worth noting that he lead the Adidas circuit in both points AND rebounds. He dunks on 5'6 bench warmers and 6'9 5 star power forwards.

Terrence Jones shot 32% from 3 at Kentucky. I see no reason Zion couldn't shoot at that clip. No one zones a power forward.

He'll either be roaming the baseline or at the free throw line. And if he's surrounded by guys like Quade and Quickley and Baker and maybe even Bol, you can't zone that team. Especially not the way Zion rebounds.

With his athleticism and ability to handle the ball, I'd imagine he'll be treated the way they TRIED to treat Poythress. Hang out by the 3 point line from time to time to keep them honest but roam that baseline for garbage buckets, put back slams, and wide open dunks. He won't shoot many 3s, nor will he need to except to keep the defense honest. As you said, if he can hit 30% or more from 3, I'll be more than happy, as long as you're going inside, grabbing the tough rebounds and dragging your nuts across the opponents face with thunderous dunks.

Ridiculously impressive. Just hope the kid can develop a serviceable jump shot. Could be a Julius Randle type player.

I've been a bit bummed by some of the news about Bagley lately.
Anyone think Williamson is more important to us than Marvin Bagley?

[roll][roll][roll] @ 0:33

That poor kid has probably had tons of success with his baseline fadeway until he met Zion. He was probably like....WTF?!?

People saying he can't shoot, well neither can Bagley. Zion is better than Bagley in every stat including 3pt%

His footwork is amazing.

In term of body, he comes off smaller version of Lebron but instead of being a facilitator he's more of an aggressive scorer. However, you can tell from even in this highlight, he just seems aggressive... super aggressive.
Yep, and LeBron wasn't the size he is now when he entered the league at 18. Zion has 2 more years to fill out even more and may still grow another inch or 2. This kid has the freak athleticism and motor combined with skillset to really be something special.

s7JQ0.gif

I've been a bit bummed by some of the news about Bagley lately.
Anyone think Williamson is more important to us than Marvin Bagley?

Either one puts UK in the driver's seat next year. If Bagley reclassifies and ends up at USC or elsewhere, he's the #1 pick next summer. That makes Zion the #1 pick in 2019.

Zion would probably give UK something like 16 to 17 points/game and 8 to 9 rebounds/game. Surround him with Green, Quickley, Reddish, and Baker, and UK could stretch opposing defenses out and allow Zion and perhaps guys like Vanderbilt(at least one of the four forwards will return; my money is n Vanderbilt) and SKJ to have isolation opportunities.

Either one puts UK in the driver's seat next year. If Bagley reclassifies and ends up at USC or elsewhere, he's the #1 pick next summer. That makes Zion the #1 pick in 2019.

Zion would probably give UK something like 16 to 17 points/game and 8 to 9 rebounds/game. Surround him with Green, Quickley, Reddish, and Baker, and UK could stretch opposing defenses out and allow Zion and perhaps guys like Vanderbilt(at least one of the four forwards will return; my money is n Vanderbilt) and SKJ to have isolation opportunities.

Just my thought, but I don't think we get Reddish. Plus I wouldn't be so quick to put Zion at #1 next year if the kid out Barrett out of Canada reclassifies. I mean Barrett did just eat alive some of the best young basketball players.

Reactions: UKvisitor
Someone might call me crazy, but I see a lot of Dennis Rodman in this kid. I can see the Larry Johnson comparison to if zion could shoot the ball better..

Just my thought, but I don't think we get Reddish. Plus I wouldn't be so quick to put Zion at #1 next year if the kid out Barrett out of Canada reclassifies. I mean Barrett did just eat alive some of the best young basketball players.

Barrett is better than reddish, I'm not sure there is anybody in high school that can guard Barrett. It would of been interesting to of seen jarred Vanderbilt play defense on Barrett if he would of been on the us team..

Reactions: UKvisitor
Barrett is better than reddish, I'm not sure there is anybody in high school that can guard Barrett. It would of been interesting to of seen jarred Vanderbilt play defense on Barrett if he would of been on the us team..
I'm not sure Barrett is better than Reddish. 'Have' course he had a better game at the U19 tournament, but that is hardly dispositive.

Reactions: KYtotheCore
Someone might call me crazy, but I see a lot of Dennis Rodman in this kid. I can see the Larry Johnson comparison to if zion could shoot the ball better..

Johnson shot 48% from the field and 33% from 3 for his career. I think that's a reasonable projection for Zion.

No comparison is perfect, but Chad's as close as possible on this one. Zion is a better athlete, more fluid and agile and explosive, and Johnson was craftier around the rim and played as more of a 4 than Zion (I've only seen high profile UNLV game recordings, not old enough to have seen him play live).

I'm not sure Barrett is better than Reddish. 'Have' course he had a better game at the U19 tournament, but that is hardly dispositive.

Barrett is the best amateur player in the world right now, if he was to play this season in college he would average 20 a game easily. That's not taking anything away from reddish he is an elite level player and does a lot of things great, but Barrett abused team USA and one of the best defensive minded coaches in college basketball.. Turned around the very next day and done the same to Italy. The guy is another level..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT