ADVERTISEMENT

Thank god our athletic director...

I was anti-Pope last week. He has mostly won me over. He absolutely killed the press conference and the focus of UK first is absolutely refreshing and needed. I am sure he is a great dude who clearly loves UK.

However, I am still VERY cautiously optimistic this is going to work. I will withhold judgement until I see his staff and the roster but I think we should probably get some assistants and players before we celebrate this hire as a success.

If he wa
Would look more like an idiot of offer the best job in college basketball to a dude that’s not coached college basketball in a decade and rejected us twice in the past.

Billy isn’t the coach our fans want to believe he is. He just isn’t.
Unfortunately he is not, otherwise he would be here or would have taken the job years ago.

Time for pining over unrealistic hires has come to an end. It’s all aboard the Pope train now.

Reactions: RogerIndy
People on here act like Pope won a NC. I’m excited, but until he gets a team together and starts winning he’s still largely unproven.

UL fans were excited about KP too!

The BCG hire, the Joker hire. Look, I don't think he's terrible. But if we're honest with ourselves, the only 2 sports that matter are men's basketball and football. Every other sport floats and is allowed to exist because those two bring in the lion's share of the money. It's nice that the program has good sports all around, but the only ones that really matter should always be the focus. You need to get those right.

No other UK AD has overseen a competitive football program. Mitch has literally built it from shambles to consistently bowl competitive and beating Florida.

Basketball program is fine. A little misstep with BCG that was quickly fixed, and we went on a hell of a run. Things got a bit stale with Cal, and MB gave him the Tubby.

"oh he left..."

No...coaches don't leave UK basketball for Minnesota or Arkansas. Especially coaches with retirements worth more than most active duty coaches.

MB getting Cal to walk away from that contract may be one of the greatest manuevers ever pulled. I'm not sure what was said or done behind close doors, but Mitch pulled a Godfather/Jedi...waved his hand, whispered something, and Cal is running out the door to Fayettville Arkansas like he relocating in the witness protection program.

Mitch also turned the AD profitable and self-sustaining. Absolutely a huge thing.

I know most think the non-rev sports don't matter, but they're all pieces to a whole, and they do matter. Baseball has had some good runs, and currently top 10. Softball program is always up there and the coach is one of the best. Track/Field has done what it's done and produced global stars/olympians. I think Volleyball is the only SEC team to hang a banner.

Last edited:
Also name me an athletic director who never made a bad hire in retrospect,there aren’t any!

This was Mitch protecting Mitch. Maybe Pope pans out, maybe he doesn’t. But this hire was all about Mitch. Why?

Once Drew said no, it was probably Pope. He had to make the offer to Hurley even though he didn’t really want to. Pope was a guy who will rah rah the troops (and he did), and if it doesn’t pan out in 3 years, Mitch retires anyway and it’s not his problem. If it does pan out Mitch can say, I was right all along and I left you in the best situation. All this while reclaiming his total
Authority over all things athletic, which he had lost for a while.

Now that it’s done, and Pope gets it here and will bring a modern offense, I’m all about it. But this was a Mitch preservation hire.

This was Mitch protecting Mitch. Maybe Pope pans out, maybe he doesn’t. But this hire was all about Mitch. Why?

Once Drew said no, it was probably Pope. He had to make the offer to Hurley even though he didn’t really want to. Pope was a guy who will rah rah the troops (and he did), and if it doesn’t pan out in 3 years, Mitch retires anyway and it’s not his problem. If it does pan out Mitch can say, I was right all along and I left you in the best situation. All this while reclaiming his total
Authority over all things athletic, which he had lost for a while.

Now that it’s done, and Pope gets it here and will bring a modern offense, I’m all about it. But this was a Mitch preservation hire.

One thing that surprised me was Mitch making some very pointed comments targeting cal whereas cal was almost completely very positive about his time at UK.

Proved (not that it was needed) that tv interview was a complete farce.

You want him fired for a bad hire nearly 20 years ago? Makes zero sense. Football, baseball, basketball, girls basketball all are thriving. Probably more sports but these are the ones I follow.
You asked. And if the Mark Pope hire doesn't work out (which I hope it does work out), that would be 3 bad hires for the 2 major sports. Long tenured coaches are the only things that make the decisions a long time ago. Cal has been at UK for 15 years and Stoops has been here 11. There are no other hires for the 2 major sports in those time frames. The only options we have to choose from are that far in the past or farther. The Stoops hire was a good one and obviously so was Cal. Rich Brooks was a solid hire, but by your logic that shouldn't count because "it was 20 years ago". I'm rooting for Mark Pope. That still doesn't mean I have complete confidence in Barnhart though. We'll see.

Mitch is a lucky SOB.

He is lucky calipari left to get him out of that contract.

He is also lucky pope is a former UK player or barney would have been ran out of the state by now after that hire purely on the on the job performance for Pope thus far to qualify him for this job.

I'm not even sure if we can judge the hire a success or failure after the roster and staff are finalized. I feel we should reserve judgement until at least we have some number of games. I think all the people that were excited after one press conference are just as foolish as the ones upset about losing players. Give the man at least half a season to prove what he can do for the program.

Joker Phillips, Kyra Elzy, Billy Gillispie, slow to accept NIL, Mark Stoops in top 10 highest paid coaches, hiring Lars Jorgensen. Despite the outpouring of support yesterday, Mitch has stubbed his toe on more than 1 occasion.
The Joker hire was a coach-in-waiting arrangement with Rich Brooks. He had some exciting offenses, and I believe there was a lot of hype because everyone wanted “one of our own” to succeed. Unfortunately we saw what happened.

The Stoops contract should have focused on $$$ to hire/retain great assistants. Also, the recruiting budget could always use more $$$

I personally think Mitch is an excellent AD. If you believe differently, I’d like to know the reasons outside of the lifetime contract, that was given before the decline of Cal.
Cals contract, Stoops contract, allowing Stoops to return when he left for Texas A&M...

Any combination of those three events shows he is in over his head on contracts.

Rifle Team and Women's Basketball (Notice I didn't write Basketball)? Mitch is the best!

Reactions: mailman85
Talked to many KY fans since the news of Pope being tapped as the new HC. Several of them wonder if maybe Pope was really #2 on his list after Drew. He made the pitch to Hurley and reached out to the other high profile coaches because BBN would absolutely crucify him if he hadn't. Something to think about.
Let me remind you that both Pitino and Calipari were not first on the list.

Cals contract, Stoops contract, allowing Stoops to return when he left for Texas A&M...

Any combination of those three events shows he is in over his head on contracts.

Rifle Team and Women's Basketball (Notice I didn't write Basketball)? Mitch is the best!

Agree to disagree.

How many ADs have not stubbed their toe. What I find ridiculous about the argument that he has missed on some coaches is that anyone who hire people for a living miss on some hires. Alabama football went through years of missed coaches. It's not uncommon. Any AD who works here for a extended periods of time will miss on coaches. It's just a fact of hiring people.
The difference is when I miss on a hire it is never a multimillion dollar mistake, and I am not making millions a year to make that choice.

There is your difference. When you are paid millions, you are expected to be perfect.

We all know Pope this hire could result in an unsuccessful campaign. Nobody is saying we're automatically successful now. I just meant this was the right hire for the culture change that was greatly needed here. And further, we should all realize there was risk for any hire we could have made short of Hurly, and even that wouldn't bring guaranteed success. I thought hiring Donovan had it's own risks considering he hadn't coached college in over 10 years, has spoken publicly about his lack of desire to recruit, probably wouldn't have the same hunger and drive he had during his Florida tenure, next year's roster would have started from scratch, etc.

I agree on Donavon. The landscape of college basketball has changed drastically
with NIL and the transfer portal.
I'm kind of leary of any coach that has been away from coaching in college for a while.

I believe Pope will be ok, it may not happen this year, but I think he is the right person at thus time to turn this program around.
It will interesting to see what next year's roster looks like.
It's a great time to be a part of BBN.
GO BIG BLUE

The Joker hire was a coach-in-waiting arrangement with Rich Brooks. He had some exciting offenses, and I believe there was a lot of hype because everyone wanted “one of our own” to succeed. Unfortunately we saw what happened.

The Stoops contract should have focused on $$$ to hire/retain great assistants. Also, the recruiting budget could always use more $$$

Joker approved that. Head coaches don't get to choose successors.

Also important to note brooks left because of Mitch constantly failing to fulfill promises. To that end will be interesting to see if pope gets a new practice facility.

The difference is when I miss on a hire it is never a multimillion dollar mistake, and I am not making millions a year to make that choice.

There is your difference. When you are paid millions, you are expected to be perfect.
I don't think it matters what the difference is between you and him. The standard of having to be perfect is ridiculous. Every athletic director who has been at it a long time has missed on more than one hire. Nobody will be perfect irrespective of how much they are paid. Nobody expects people to be perfect. People are expected to be competent. And he is. That is factually demonstrable by the condition of the athletic department, both financially and competitively, today compared with when he took over.

Mitch is a lucky SOB.

He is lucky calipari left to get him out of that contract.

He is also lucky pope is a former UK player or barney would have been ran out of the state by now after that hire purely on the on the job performance for Pope thus far to qualify him for this job.
When smart people do things that others can’t understand, they call it luck.

Elaborate?
Let’s not be obtuse. This was a very risky hire. When the news leaked about pope the fanbase was enraged. 48 hours later everyone is thrilled. But what really changed? Nothing really except we were fed a lot of rah rah speeches and good vibes. I love that stuff and the fanbase is in a good place. But nothing can erase the concerns is this short time frame. At the end of the day I know that if he had not played here we would not have given him a look. I hate being negative but this concerns me. I almost feel brainwashed right now

When smart people do things that others can’t understand, they call it luck.
Mitch pulled off a masterpiece of fan manipulation. People wanted his head Thursday night. He had them in tears yesterday afternoon. When you can get into peoples emotions it’s a powerful thing.

Let’s not be obtuse. This was a very risky hire. When the news leaked about pope the fanbase was enraged. 48 hours later everyone is thrilled. But what really changed? Nothing really except we were fed a lot of rah rah speeches and good vibes. I love that stuff and the fanbase is in a good place. But nothing can erase the concerns is this short time frame. At the end of the day I know that if he had not played here we would not have given him a look. I hate being negative but this concerns me. I almost feel brainwashed right now

Who would you have hired. Hurley, Drew, Oats, Donovan said no.

Let’s hear it?

Pearl was my choice

I actually like Pearl but I’m not sure outside of his 1 final four in 2019 why so many people want him. A lot of people fail to realize that this past season was the very first time Pope played in the B12 and had some very IMPRESSIVE wins.

If he can pull off those wins at BYU with BYU players, imagine what he can do at UK with unlimited resources.

I actually like Pearl but I’m not sure outside of his 1 final four in 2019 why so many people want him. A lot of people fail to realize that this past season was the very first time Pope played in the B12 and had some very IMPRESSIVE wins.

If he can pull off those wins at BYU with BYU players, imagine what he can do at UK with unlimited resources.
My biggest concern is that he comes to Kentucky and gets BYU players. I just need to see some rosters.

Reactions: ThrowBackCat9
Pearl was my choice

Pearl was by far the couldn't miss candidate. He won everywhere and would win here. Zero risk involved.

Here's the caveat: Jones today loosely stated pearl was ruled out by people at UK above Mitch. If that's the case, that changes everything. That is the first time anyone heard that and it would do well for Mitch to have that leak out in more detail. Because the opinion, at least of a few days ago, was Mitch went rogue and hired pope out of the blue. It's much better picture of it was lack of communication rather than lack of diligence.

Pearl won everywhere including two sec schools. He was a guarantee to do well here. That can't be objectively debated.

Hopefully pope does well but we could've watched him another few years and more of a sure thing without so much risk.

Reactions: Rockfly78
Pearl won everywhere including two sec schools. He was a guarantee to do well here. That can't be objectively debated.

Hopefully pope does well but we could've watched him another few years and more of a sure thing without so much risk.

Like I said, Pearl is a good coach, just not the home run hire like some on here believe.

Like I said, Pearl is a good coach, just not the home run hire like some on here believe.

He was the coach with the best ratio of upside to risk. He had no risk. At worst we would immediately be competitive at the highest level.

Noone was a home run this cycle which is even more reason to go with the sure thing, unless someone at UK said no. If so, who was it and why? Because his transgression was a long time ago. Saying no to beard and miller is understandable.

None of us have access to the hiring or interview process. There is lots of diligence in filling a $5 million dollar position that is done without disclosure.
IMO, Drew would not work out in a non-secular school. Hurley would jump to the NBA and I just don’t like the guy, plus his court side antics are annoying. Donovan is a much bigger risk than Pope. Barnhart made a good hire until proven otherwise

Reactions: RogerIndy
Had the balls to make the right hire, rather than the safe hire, knowing the criticism he would take. He knew Pope was exactly what we needed in this point in time. I said this in another post, but if we can be successful, winning with Pope as our coach will be far more fun than any other coach. This is already so much fun! GBB!!!

**Addition**
Just want to elaborate I'm not saying this hire is guaranteed to be successful. I'm saying it's exactly what we needed in this particular moment, a 180 degree culture change and it was immediate. There's definitely risk in this hire, and the true success of it will ultimately depend on wins and losses, but there was risk in every hire we could have made.
This is Mitch with this hire. If you know you know.

He was the coach with the best ratio of upside to risk. He had no risk. At worst we would immediately be competitive at the highest level.

Noone was a home run this cycle which is even more reason to go with the sure thing, unless someone at UK said no. If so, who was it and why? Because his transgression was a long time ago. Saying no to beard and miller is understandable.

You know what you’re getting with Bruce. Good regular season and not much in the tournament. He’s had the rosters and resources to compete at the highest level. Pope has not.

Without a home run hire, there’s not a better hire than Mark Pope.

Reactions: know1
Pearl was my choice
No. First of all Pearl is 64. We want a coach that will be around for a while. Do you realize that Pope is older than Calipari and Pitino when they were hired? Secondly, he is a former Vol. Can't get rid of that stink. Thirdly, he was fired from the Vols for cheating.

None of us have access to the hiring or interview process. There is lots of diligence in filling a $5 million dollar position that is done without disclosure.
IMO, Drew would not work out in a non-secular school. Hurley would jump to the NBA and I just don’t like the guy, plus his court side antics are annoying. Donovan is a much bigger risk than Pope. Barnhart made a good hire until proven otherwise
FIngers crossed brotha

Reactions: BBNinSC
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT