ADVERTISEMENT

Thad Matta DONE at Ohio State. Will OSU go after Archie Miller?

• Thread starter anon_9qtxg60vqzy0y
  • Start date
I personally wouldn't want him as my coach. Xavier was bad this year and had a magical tourney run. I'd call Greg Marshall and send his wife some expensive wine

He had several injuries during the year and has a top 10 class coming in.

How is he only 49 years old?

I thought he was at least 60.
He does have an awful lot of health issues, it's been documented quite a bit. I've read he's been in a lot of pain and tried to work through it
That'll age you for sure

Reactions: UKCatnNC
He was fired. Since he was a good coach and a class act OSU is putting a pretty face on it for the public eye. That and for Matta to not have to have a slash to his public image along with his health issues.

Then the AD should be fired for waiting this long to do it.

I personally wouldn't want him as my coach. Xavier was bad this year and had a magical tourney run. I'd call Greg Marshall and send his wife some expensive wine

I wouldn't think that would be necessary. She crosses me as a Boone's Farm fan. Whatever gets you there.

My friends cousins girlfriends uncle knows a realtor who said that Ellen Calipari was seen looking at houses in Columbus. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::joy:

Archie is not leaving Indiana. They are still one of the power schools of UK, Ind. Kansas and NC. Ohio state is a step below them. I bet they go after Chris Mack. I would try and get the coach from Florida, if I could.

Matta has serious spinal and back health problems that've kept him in constant pain in recent years. I imagine that's the basis for this as much as anything, the dude's just not physically healthy enough right now.

And, fwiw, the obvious best choice is right down the road at Xavier. Chris Mack is a tremendous coach who seems a perfect fit for OSU.

Last edited:
Reactions: uky8unc5
They're at a point they can hire an interim for a year and get a jump start on getting the top target next offseason before any other program fires their coach.

Reactions: BigBlueFanGA
interim coach for next year? Whose on their staff that would do that? Btw, cue the Rick Barnes comment.

Surely he wasn't pushed out! That being a massive football school, he's done a pretty good job! OSU will never be a UK, KU, UNC, or Duke...etc.

Surely it was the coaches sudden choice & not OSU! Why would they get rid of him? That's like firing a UK football who makes a bowl game every year!

Anyone know if rick Barnes has officially took his name out of consideration yet? Asking for a friend

Archie is not leaving Indiana. They are still one of the power schools of UK, Ind. Kansas and NC. Ohio state is a step below them. I bet they go after Chris Mack. I would try and get the coach from Florida, if I could.
Not if you look at the actual numbers from the last 20 years. IU is a has been, anyone calling them elite or a power school is relying on hype from past glory.

He's a very good coach. He took Xavier deep into the tournaments. I would say Sean Miller was obviously better but Archie has the better gig since Indiana is considered a blue blood that is in a dormant stage for the last 30 years .'thad can recruit there is. O denying that. From oden, kufos, Mullins, diebler, I really liked kraft, Buford, Russell, sullinger, and a lot more Guys like that. Problem is he sucks as a coach

He's a very good coach. He took Xavier deep into the tournaments. I would say Sean Miller was obviously better but Archie has the better gig since Indiana is considered a blue blood that is in a dormant stage for the last 30 years .'thad can recruit there is. O denying that. From oden, kufos, Mullins, diebler, I really liked kraft, Buford, Russell, sullinger, and a lot more Guys like that. Problem is he sucks as a coach

Yeah but sullinger has a tat for life courtesy of Jorts. That was a good day.

I have to disagree, IU just has been tanted, because of bad coaching hires. They have a lot of tradition compared to OSU.
Tradition? They had a strong tradition 30+ years ago. Since then their only tradition has been sucking. They'll need to win a lot of games for a lot of seasons to have a winning tradition again.

Stinks for Archie. That would have been a perfect fit for him, but the ship sailed two months too late.

Donovan at Ohio State.....no way. Where this stuff comes from is beyond comprehension. They will be lucky to get Mack. Ohio State is not a top program, not even close.

Matta is coming out of this in pretty good shape. He has the time to get himself healthy, if he can, while getting paid 3.2M per year for 3 more years.

I don't think Miller'd have the cojones to do it. But if he did, Indiana couldn't stop him without a PR nightmare.

Think about it: Your coach lets it be known publicly that he has asked out of his contract of 40 days or so because of an unforeseen circumstance: You refuse to let him go. So now you are stuck with a coach who has publicly stated he'd rather be somewhere else. That'd just turn ugly fast. Better to let him go.
I thought they were already ugly. GO CATS!!

Mack is a possibility but he's a Xavier alum so it may be hard for him to leave. As an IU fan the guy that would worry me who they could likely land is Pearl.

Florida is a better basketball job than Ohio State. Expect something similar or even less exciting than what Indiana did with Miller.

Fred Hoiberg escapes the dumpster that is the Chicago Bulls.
Chris Holtman, Butler.

But probably Mack at Xavier.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT