brian.mikeson

Sophomore
Aug 30, 2014
Terry Wilson

@TerryTouchdown3

Lot to think about ..

1f4ad.svg

...anyone?

If he wants a chance at the NFL at all he better play this year !

He has a baby girl that is scheduled to be born in the next couple weeks.
With all the COVID stuff going on he is just thinking what will be best for his new baby girl, girl friend (baby's mother) and his duty as a new father.

Obviously I want his to play but I will support what ever he decides to do play or set out and respect that he is putting his new family 1st over himself.

He has to what is best for his new expanding family. I expect many players to sit out this season.

It would be in the best interest of the NCAA to give anybody who sits out an extra year of eligibility. Hopefully things play out well for everybody

Reactions: The-Hack
Question...wouldn’t it be best to plan to play, then if you do catch the virus, isolate for a couple of weeks and receive the best possible medical care, build up an immunity, and then be even more secure to be around your family?

I'm assuming his worry has to do with him contracting the virus and then possibly passing it on to his young child.

So don't the date overwhelmingly show that if there is any risk to transmission of Covid it's from young people to old people? Also, what is the occurrence -- again, using real data -- that any infant has died from contracting the disease?

All I could find through a quick search was that child/infant mortality is extremely low (perhaps non-existent without co-morbidities present) BUT they throw out many warnings that things are likely to be worse in low-income countries (https://data.unicef.org/topic/child-survival/covid-19/). Even in the articles archived here, there is little hard-data to back up assertions, but a strong "one can never be too safe" bent is heavily implied.

If his daughter has a co-morbidity of some kind I get it; but if not, why not do what we're all being told and "go with the science?"

You have roughly the same chance of dying in a car wreck, yet rational people don't decide to stay away from vehicles. Ever feel like you have awakened one day, and you are living in a Twilight Zone episode where everyone around you are acting irrational and you are the only sane one? All of 2020 has felt like that.

You have roughly the same chance of dying in a car wreck, yet rational people don't decide to stay away from vehicles. Ever feel like you have awakened one day, and you are living in a Twilight Zone episode where everyone around you are acting irrational and you are the only sane one? All of 2020 has felt like that.

Do you ever stop to think it’s weird that you “woke up in the Twilight Zone” is a more rational explanation than you aren’t following the right news sources? So you are just misinformed? Odds are you aren’t the sane one just by pure probability.

He has to what is best for his new expanding family. I expect many players to sit out this season.
I think you are right. And thousands of fans will skip this season also. No tailgating at Commonwealth so why go to the game? UK will not have a hard time reducing seats. We are considering volunteering giving up ours for the season and then take a look in 2021 when things are more clear

Reactions: willievic
You have roughly the same chance of dying in a car wreck, yet rational people

No. Not even close, and a clear expression of the irrationality of which you complain.

Covid has claimed 150,000 American lives in just over 5 months, a factor of at least nine times the mortality rate of car accidents over a comparable period of time. We lose about 103-105 per day to car accidents. We have been at high multiples of that number for many months from Covid.

And I wear seat belts, and do not drink and drive, rational decisions which reduce my odds of dying in a car accident, significantly.

And I will not die in a car accident because someone else refused to wear a seatbelt: I and others could die if the wrong person in our proximity fails to wear a mask or violates other common sense measures.

"Reducing motor vehicle crash deaths was one of the great public health achievements of the 20th century for the US. However, more than 32,000 people are killed and 2 million are injured each year from motor vehicle crashes. In 2013, the US crash death rate was more than twice the average of other high-income countries. In the US, front seat belt use was lower than in most other comparison countries. One in 3 crash deaths in the US involved drunk driving, and almost 1 in 3 involved speeding. Lower death rates in other high-income countries and a high percentage of risk factors in the US suggest that we can make more progress in reducing crash deaths."

https://www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns/motor-vehicle-safety/index.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_vehicle_fatality_rate_in_U.S._by_year

https://policyadvice.net/car-insurance/insights/how-many-people-die-in-car-accidents/

Reactions: The-Hack
However, more than 32,000 people are killed

I scratch my head when after this period of time folks still use the car accident analogy. It is actually more numerically false than would be a claim that Kentucky Football is historically as good as Bama, based upon their comparative total wins . . . yeah, Kentucky is closer to Bama’s program win total, all-time, than the comparable number of deaths we are discussing. But if someone tried to argue Kentucky was historically better anyway, it could be grounds for commitment . . . especially in Alabama.

And that’s just a damn near meaningless sport, not life and death!

Apparently Echols is looking taking a closer look at the situation too. Doubt they'll be alone. We probably should resign ourselves to the likelihood some of the better players, especially upper classmen, may be about to haul.

It would be in the best interest of the NCAA to give anybody who sits out an extra year of eligibility. Hopefully things play out well for everybody
Terry has already said this is it. He was likely eligible for a year due to the knee. Beats me. Then again, he has plenty on his mind with a baby on the way.

Do you ever stop to think it’s weird that you “woke up in the Twilight Zone” is a more rational explanation than you aren’t following the right news sources? So you are just misinformed? Odds are you aren’t the sane one just by pure probability.

Lol so it's that easy huh. This year's deaths minus last year's deaths, and that's the deaths by covid? That's something you're peddling.

My god.

No. Not even close, and a clear expression of the irrationality of which you complain.

Covid has claimed 150,000 American lives in just over 5 months, a factor of at least nine times the mortality rate of car accidents over a comparable period of time. We lose about 103-105 per day to car accidents. We have been at high multiples of that number for many months from Covid.

And I wear seat belts, and do not drink and drive, rational decisions which reduce my odds of dying in a car accident, significantly.

And I will not die in a car accident because someone else refused to wear a seatbelt: I and others could die if the wrong person in our proximity fails to wear a mask or violates other common sense measures.
When he said "you", perhaps he referred to 22 year old prime caliber athletes, as opposed to the public at large? And a 22 year old athlete is absolutely more likely to die from an accident than the virus. With that said, whatever Wilson does is his business. I do find it astonishing that virus fans, not necessarily including you, but absolutely including some others on this board, are desperately hoping for no football on a football board.

Lol so it's that easy huh. This year's deaths minus last year's deaths, and that's the deaths by covid? That's something you're peddling.

My god.
Even assuming the accuracy of those numbers, perhaps excess deaths are indirectly caused by lockdowns and the resultant lower quality of life. Suicides, opiate deaths, homicides, missed diagnosis for health issues, increased obesity in America (instead of the freshman 15, there is now the covid 19), and, in much of the world, starvation.

Last edited:
"Reducing motor vehicle crash deaths was one of the great public health achievements of the 20th century for the US. However, more than 32,000 people are killed and 2 million are injured each year from motor vehicle crashes. In 2013, the US crash death rate was more than twice the average of other high-income countries. In the US, front seat belt use was lower than in most other comparison countries. One in 3 crash deaths in the US involved drunk driving, and almost 1 in 3 involved speeding. Lower death rates in other high-income countries and a high percentage of risk factors in the US suggest that we can make more progress in reducing crash deaths."

https://www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns/motor-vehicle-safety/index.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_vehicle_fatality_rate_in_U.S._by_year

https://policyadvice.net/car-insurance/insights/how-many-people-die-in-car-accidents/
As of May 18, 2020, there were less than 2,000 people under the age of 44 killed by the coronavirus. Based on the total deaths from the virus under 18, a grand total of 21, and the incredibly disproportionate number of elderly deaths, I would venture that the vast majority of deaths from the virus between 19 and 44 involve people much closer to the age of 44 than to 19. So, obviously, automobile accidents are much deadlier than the coronavirus for a 44 year old, let alone a 22 year old, let alone an athlete who is 22 years old and who isn't morbidly obese or recovering from cancer. On the other hand, the virus is deadlier, in orders of magnitude, for the average octogenarian.

Reactions: Pelosigalore
Even assuming the accuracy of those numbers, perhaps excess deaths are indirectly caused by lockdowns and the resultant lower quality of life. Suicides, opiate deaths, homicides, missed diagnosis for health issues, increased obesity in America (instead of the freshman 15, there is now the covid 19), and, in much of the world, starvation.

They could be and are from literally everything.

Each person needs to make their own decision. A certain segment of the population just can't stand to let people do that

Question...wouldn’t it be best to plan to play, then if you do catch the virus, isolate for a couple of weeks and receive the best possible medical care, build up an immunity, and then be even more secure to be around your family?
That makes zero sense. Jk,jk. That is obviously the most common sense thing.
But your gonna catch shit for that. They’ll be coming coming at you with if and maybe scenarios what about; and probably even call you a name or two.

When he said "you", perhaps he referred to 22 year old prime caliber athletes, as opposed to the public at large? And a 22 year old athlete is absolutely more likely to die from an accident than the virus. With that said, whatever Wilson does is his business. I do find it astonishing that virus fans, not necessarily including you, but absolutely including some others on this board, are desperately hoping for no football on a football board.

When he said "you", perhaps he referred to 22 year old prime caliber athletes, as opposed to the public at large? And a 22 year old athlete is absolutely more likely to die from an accident than the virus. With that said, whatever Wilson does is his business. I do find it astonishing that virus fans, not necessarily including you, but a
bsolutely including some others on this board, are desperately hoping for no football on a football board.

I agree with you, some people not anyone specifically posting here, seem to want this to take over the world and we end up being hermits afraid to step outside.

They throw all the testing numbers out there com ppl lately ignoring all the false positives. Matthew Stafford had a positive test, and 5 negative within 2 days of the positive, same for Jimmy Johnson. Both obviously negative but are counted as having covid. Then there is the testing in Florida that were showing 100% positive results when it was actually 7%. People getting positive results who have never taken a test. Yet we are expected to take every report as 100% accurate.

When what appears to be a positive breakthrough on cue the same people are on TV trying to discredit the report.

This may be the end of mankind, but the only things for sure is our economy has been wrecked and our individual freedoms have been trampled on by projections that at best were way off, hopefully not intentionally.

But, I know how to grow a garden, how to can food, hunt and fish , make jerky so I wont starve.

He has a baby girl that is scheduled to be born in the next couple weeks.
With all the COVID stuff going on he is just thinking what will be best for his new baby girl, girl friend (baby's mother) and his duty as a new father.

Obviously I want his to play but I will support what ever he decides to do play or set out and respect that he is putting his new family 1st over himself.
He better watch out for the flu and strep too.

I agree with you, some people not anyone specifically posting here, seem to want this to take over the world and we end up being hermits afraid to step outside.

They throw all the testing numbers out there com ppl lately ignoring all the false positives. Matthew Stafford had a positive test, and 5 negative within 2 days of the positive, same for Jimmy Johnson. Both obviously negative but are counted as having covid. Then there is the testing in Florida that were showing 100% positive results when it was actually 7%. People getting positive results who have never taken a test. Yet we are expected to take every report as 100% accurate.

When what appears to be a positive breakthrough on cue the same people are on TV trying to discredit the report.

This may be the end of mankind, but the only things for sure is our economy has been wrecked and our individual freedoms have been trampled on by projections that at best were way off, hopefully not intentionally.

But, I know how to grow a garden, how to can food, hunt and fish , make jerky so I wont starve.

seen this on a Bengals board

attachment.php

that image won't work

it says
Juan Soto of the Nationals has had 5 positive tests and 8 negative tests in 3 days

so who knows what to believe

We can skin a buck and run a trot line and a country boy can survive :cheers2:

We can skin a buck and run a trot line and a country boy can survive :cheers2:

Damn right we can. but I am partial to limb hooks. Put 250lb of catfish filet in freezer this summer. Got 3 wild hogs last week, going back next week for some more hopefully. Sugar curing some hams in an old fridge, a first, it should work.

I am thinking of trying my hand at making a little alcohol next spring. I have some recipes from my grandpa. Just never tried one.

No. "Covid has claimed x over the last 5 months" is BS and you know it.

Covid has been RELATED to over x deaths in the last 5 months. HUGE difference and it shouldn't have to be restated over and over for people with even a smidge of education. In the only places actual data is complete and available the percentage of Covid caused was 3 out of 33000. The rest had multiple factors and serious underlying issues (comorbidity).

The health insurance and medical industry have claimed 150k covid related deaths, but that's nowhere near what was actually CAUSED bybthe virus.

Subtract about 25% also for the negligent homicides by governors that sent covid patients to nursing homes.

Terry does have a lot to think about. Everyone does. Wish him the best regardless. People have really made a mess of things

Reactions: rye48 and Kat308
No. "Covid has claimed x over the last 5 months" is BS and you know it.

These numbers are accepted by the White House, by Trump, governors of both parties, and are generally consistent with countries with similar demographics.

Sure, co-morbidities have, along with Covid, caused deaths. Unfortunately, a very high percentage of Americans have co-morbidities, if we include diabetes, weigh issues, high blood pressure, sickle cell anemia, and/or being aged passed 70.

As to what those with a “smidge of education” should believe, I’ll stick with John’s Hopkins University. They’ve been “smidgen” on a high level for a long time.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrschwump
As to what those with a “smidge of education” should believe, I’ll stick with John’s Hopkins University. They’ve been “smidgen” on a high level for a long time.

Ok, Hack; that's a good point and I can see why anyone likely would.

But back to the question at hand -- namely, 'should Terry W. play considering the threat of exposure for his young daughter' -- what conclusion would you make when considering ALL of:
* data and conclusions from the very reputable Johns Hopkins
...while factoring with it
* the fact that previous false positives add to the count,
* the inaccurate data reporting (like those Florida labs),
* the extremely low death rate for those around TW's age,
* the even lower death rate for infants,
* the fact that when those lower than 50 are badly affected they are almost always obese, diabetic, had history of cancer, or some other co-morbidity that TW likely does not have?

Just curious. As a scientist, I know you wouldn't look at only one source of information/data and base all your conclusions therein.

Reactions: CatPatrick13
He would never play again if he was afraid of bringing a virus to his daughter, as the flu, with vaccines, has been more deadly than COVID to small children.

Reactions: WildcatofNati
Even if I'm definitely on the side of this whole covid fiasco is a bunch of overblown bs for the majority of the population, particularly those of us young and in good health.....

...assuming the rampant speculation in this thread that Terry's motive behind the tweet (Man I hate this is the world we live in....analyzong teenager tweets...ugh...anyway) is whether to forego his last year because he has safety concerns for himself and his new child and such, Im not gonna criticize him for it.

My whole position on this, and generally every issue, is live and let live. I want people to take personal responsibility. The mask thing...we're not gonna cover any new ground arguing ITT. Less than 1% of the US population has even contracted the damn disease. If you're in a high risk demo, do what you need to. If you are in a position, like Terry, where you can forego option activities and you feel its wise to do so, then do it. We are destroying the economy over this needlessly. But the option needs to be on the table for people who are healthy to get back to work and stimulate the economy.

Reactions: Girthang

Why do you think caution equates to "desperately hoping for no football". That is some Trumpian math if I've seen it.

If Terry is getting ready to have a kid, throw facts out the window. When you have a child you are responsible for, especially if its your first, there is a tendency to get a little conservative. And that makes sense.

Reactions: mrschwump
Why do you think caution equates to "desperately hoping for no football". That is some Trumpian math if I've seen it.

If Terry is getting ready to have a kid, throw facts out the window. When you have a child you are responsible for, especially if its your first, there is a tendency to get a little conservative. And that makes sense.
First, I specifically said "whatever Wilson does is his own business"- the only reason I even addressed this topic in the first place was to rebut the misconception that the virus is more dangerous to that age demographic than an auto accident; it's not. Second, I have no doubt whatsoever that many posters here are absolutely hoping that the season is cancelled- previous posts on too many threads to number have made that abundantly clear (one poster's constant parroting "no vaccine no football" is just one example). Finally, you're the one the one who brought up the name Trump on a football thread, not me. Can't resist, can you?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT