ADVERTISEMENT

Terry Touchdown and Gunnar Hoak

With the youth at WR we may not have a choice but to go with a mobile qb.
A quote from Gran I saw on KSR today concerning our WR's:

"Inexperience is no longer an acceptable excuse for Gran.

“I’m tired of talking about youth at receiver,” the offensive coordinator said. “We have no more youth at receiver. There is no more. They are veterans now. It’s time to drop and it’s time to go. Today they did. There’s hope out there, there really is.”"

No, that isn't what we learned year. Fundamentally, the wildcat is a run formation. What we learned last year is that UK needs a more balanced offense. Eddie Gran will not build UK's offensive system around the wildcat. He uses the wildcat to double down on Benny Snell's running ability. But less wildcat and more of a spread passing game would be much more productive. With SJ getting hurt last year, Gran just didn't have the personnel he needed to open up our offense. This year, he has the personnel. If Terry Wilson can win the quarterback competition, he can play a big part in opening up UK's offense. But not as a wildcat quarterback. If our quarterback is successful, we will see less wildcat this year.
"More of a spread passing attack" Yea, good luck with that one...some haven't gotten to 2018 yet. Would be great if it did happen.

"The school was simply not going to underwrite a big debt for athletic infrastructure that was not really "necessary". " Quote

What about all the improvements he made to HIS minor NON REVENUE sports, that he gets so much praise for? JMO but I sincerely believe he would have had MORE money to invest in the minor sports IF he hadn't had football on a BARE MINIMUM diet-----for over a dedade. Couldn't you have made your whole house over and looking close to a palace, let alone one room, with the $156,000 he spent to hang some pictures on a wall somewhere? How much praise did he get for that publicity stunt? How much was the basketball budget cut back during the "depression", already 60% higher for ONE SIXTH of the number of players football supports and recruits, how about the Midnight Madness bb EXTRA recruiting tool which cost about the same as the football recruiting budget?

While he couldn't possibly upgrade CW before he did, how was he able to obligate the athletic department for about 60% MORE than it cost when he finally got around to it, and with the SEC football boost obviously coming was it necessary? It was a LOAN, with interest, not a gift, and a terrible loan money wise from the UK football standpoint.

And can one of the bean counters tell me how much money was lost from losing about TWENTY THOUSAND season ticket holders, most NEVER to return, except for a game or two. Not to mention the loss in revenue from hundreds of devout fans that said on here they would never donate a dime to football as long as he was in charge of spending the money.

You have an engineering degree which I think helps you think logically, you are an intelligent poster, tell me how he had ANY choice but to do the upgrades when football was losing tons of money with his prior support AND the huge influx of money from OTHER SEC football programs became available. What would you have done with all that FOOTBALL money when UK football was losing it hand over fist?

And now one poster claims he drove UK football into the ground (great job if so) and lost millions of dollars and thousands of fans on purpose, like one poster claims-------and a lot of fans agree with him. If that was his purpose then he does have a great talent.

But a decade of NOTHING above the bare minimum isn't forgiven because he HAD to open the purse strings and the OTHER SEC football programs made more money than he can spend available. Your school, (wow, first time I haven't called them TU in ages, oh well, giving you a break) AND Cincy (number one in COA, Thug U not far behind) both less than a hundred miles away from Lexington among the tops in the COA, and Bama about doubled theirs in about a DAY when their in state rival came out twice theirs.

You can make him your hero if you like, me, I say BS, not mine, we were about a decade behind in starting the rebuilding job, and isn't it amazing how a little money invested improves recruiting.

You took Wildcard’s bait. And, you wrote a novel in a thread about QBs that has nothing contextual to do with QBs. I suspect that was Wildcard’s intent. He must be busting a gut about right now.

You took Wildcard’s bait. And, you wrote a novel in a thread about QBs that has nothing contextual to do with QBs. I suspect that was Wildcard’s intent. He must be busting a gut about right now.
No "bait". I was simply offering an opinion about Barnhart but it was in a thread about QB play. (I try not to do that but perhaps I was guilty of taking the bait, not putting it out. [winking]). ja and I just see Barnhart's work at UK differently. I cannot change his mind about Barnhart and he cannot change mine.

But getting back to the subject of the thread (i.e., QBs) I think Landon Young would be a great option as a WildCat QB. :cool:

Peace

Last edited:
No, it wasn’t, and for good reason. All of us understand that SJ was coming back in 2017 as an incumbent starting quarterback who had just taken UK to our 1st bowl game since 2010. The implication that Gran under those circumstances should, or even could, have pulled SJ in favor of a guy who had never taken a real college snap isn’t realistic. Stoops respected SJ’s experience and instincts. Now, though, SJ is gone, and that was the context of my observation.
You miss-state my point to fit your need. There were several games out of hand - MSU, Uga, LV - where SJ could have avoided risk of further injury such that his instincts didn't matter & Stoops could have given another guy some valuable experience vs.sitting here today with zero CFB experience & expecting come Fall the starter will be a better QB fit than SJ was.. I don't see how risking more shots to SJ was respect.

Reactions: jauk11
With SJ getting hurt last year, Gran just didn't have the personnel he needed to open up our offense. This year, he has the personnel. If Terry Wilson can win the quarterback competition, he can play a big part in opening up UK's offense. .
Am I to take you that Hoak can't open up the offense, only TW, since Hoak was here last year & couldn't open it up then? Thanks.

They say me and my brother look alike. But we're very competitive: I think I look more alike than he does.

I had a flat on the Interstate, but no jack. I ended up swapping my spare tire for one.

I have never seen your brother but I don't see how anyone could look more alike than you. Of course, I have never seen you either.

You really sound like the most alike person I know, although I don't know you, but there was a mannequin in a store that looked very alike, could that have been you? He was modeling underwear.

And walking is supposed to be good exercise, or at least my Doctor keeps trying to convince me of that.

You miss-state my point to fit your need. There were several games out of hand - MSU, Uga, LV - where SJ could have avoided risk of further injury such that his instincts didn't matter & Stoops could have given another guy some valuable experience vs.sitting here today with zero CFB experience & expecting come Fall the starter will be a better QB fit than SJ was.. I don't see how risking more shots to SJ was respect.
I believe you don’t. But nobody can play football without physical contact. We have gone far afield of the point of the thread, which is about UK’s current quarterback competition. It seems that every thread on this board must now come back around to a misinformed shot at Barnhart or a misinformed shot at Stoops.

Last edited:
I really like what I've seen from Gunnar Hoak in the spring game last year. I think the kid has all the tools to get the job done if his name is called. However, I honestly think if UK is to compete for the SEC East championship, Terry Wilson has to be the QB that we think he can. He resembles RGIII physically and with his play, and if Wilson is ANYWHERE close to RGIII, Kentucky could have the most explosive offense in the SEC East. I wrote about Wilson at my website here if ya'll wanna check it out: https://homersradio.com/terry-wilson-looks-to-lead-uk-football-to-new-heights/

I believe you don’t. But nobody can play football without physical contact. We have gone far afield of the point of the thread, which is about UK’s current quarterback competition. It seems that every thread on this board must now come back around to a misinformed shot at Barnhart or a misinformed shot at Stoops.

Why don't you ever criticize your buddies cheap shots at Stoops?

I really like what I've seen from Gunnar Hoak in the spring game last year. I think the kid has all the tools to get the job done if his name is called. However, I honestly think if UK is to compete for the SEC East championship, Terry Wilson has to be the QB that we think he can. He resembles RGIII physically and with his play, and if Wilson is ANYWHERE close to RGIII, Kentucky could have the most explosive offense in the SEC East. I wrote about Wilson at my website here if ya'll wanna check it out: https://homersradio.com/terry-wilson-looks-to-lead-uk-football-to-new-heights/

I get what you are saying. Hoak can be fundamentally sound, but Wilson may have a higher ceiling. To my way of thinking, the real question is which quarterback can make 1st downs in this offense without turning the ball over. The mark of a successful offense is consistent execution. Limit turnovers. Convert 3rd downs. Move the chains and control the clock. Get to the red zone and be efficient when you get there. We don’t need our quarterback to be superman. We need our quarterback to run a balanced offense and make good decisions with the football. And we need our offensive line to step up and play like they played in 2016.

“No matter who wins the job in the fall, he will be a good player. There wasn’t much to distinguish quarterbacks Gunnar Hoak and Terry Wilson. Both throw a beautiful ball and both were relatively on target for both inside passes and sideline throws.

“Both showed some elusiveness in the quarterback run game.”

- Jen Smith

There wasn’t much to distinguish quarterbacks Gunnar Hoak and Terry Wilson.
I understand that I am about to take Jen Smith’s statement out of its context. But there are actually significant differences between Hoak and Wilson. All I’m saying is that football is a team sport. We have 7 returning offensive starters, including Benny Snell, CJ Conrad, and 4 offensive linemen. We need our starting quarterback to make good decisions, be accurate, and take good care of the football. If he does those things well, this offense will move the chains. If you combine that with an improving defense, this can be an 8-9 win team, or maybe better, as long as our freshman kickers execute.

“No matter who wins the job in the fall, he will be a good player. There wasn’t much to distinguish quarterbacks Gunnar Hoak and Terry Wilson. Both throw a beautiful ball and both were relatively on target for both inside passes and sideline throws.

“Both showed some elusiveness in the quarterback run game.”

- Jen Smith
There ya go! Jen Smith has settled this QB issue for us - dead even. Nothing for us Wildcat Lair posters to argue about. All Gran has to do is flip a coin. [laughing]

Peace

There ya go! Jen Smith has settled this QB issue for us - dead even. Nothing for us Wildcat Lair posters to argue about. All Gran has to do is flip a coin. [laughing]

Peace

Furnished a lot of coins for the pregame toss when I was refereeing. Always thought it was interesting that in our conference in high school in SEKY they used a silver dollar and the captain that won the toss got to keep it.

Sorry, not me, silver went up too much and I am too cheap, and I was lucky if I had a nickel for the coin toss, lol.

That would be a pretty important coin toss to decide the QB though.

Last edited:
I once ordered a pizza and when it arrived it flipped when being transferred from the driver to me. It landed pepperoni up. I considered that a win.

I once ordered a pizza and when it arrived it flipped when being transferred from the driver to me. It landed pepperoni up. I considered that a win.

If someone had caught that on film you could have made a fortune from creating a TV ad.

Is that ad really about taking out insurance on your pizza, are they serious?

Personally, I thought that Hoak was the BEST QB in the last 2 spring games. Showed good accuracy, moved well and threw on the run outside of the pocket, designed or not. I like Hoak a lot and I never quite understood why he didn't get at least a shot/series or two when Steve Johnson went down and Barker was clearly not the answer. Now, that being said, I was very excited about getting Terry Wilson, I looked at him as a bigger, stronger, and faster Steve Johnson. If he can get his accuracy worked out, assuming that is in fact an issue, then I think he gives us the best shot at winning.
Go Cats!
[cheers]

So he was the best QB when he couldn’t get hit and went against a vanilla defense with no blitzes?

Spring games hold absolutely no merit for a QB IMO

Reactions: megablue
Seeing practice, Gunnar is far far ahead in the QB battle. Terry struggles to complete passes his accuracy is subpar. Very similar to Stephen Johnson. Gunnar's arm isn't as strong but his accuracy is evident. Don't really understand it, seems as though they have a preconceived notion who they want to start and regardless of the play that is who they are going to start.

There hasn't been open qb competition here since Babe Paralli wore cleats. Just coach speak for us dummies to post about.

Reactions: megablue
So he was the best QB when he couldn’t get hit and went against a vanilla defense with no blitzes?

Spring games hold absolutely no merit for a QB IMO
then what does hold merit for determining the starter? Most practices the QB can't be hit so when there is no incumbent what do the coaches use to determine the starter?

There hasn't been open qb competition here since Babe Paralli wore cleats. Just coach speak for us dummies to post about.

A QB from my little high school was a backup for Babe Parilla. Remember watching him throwing a pass one time with three guys wrapped around him one knees, one waist, one chest, and he still threw a completion, must have been when I was in about the 2nd grade.

And If you never heard of Paul Jones that is quite understandable.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
A lot of praise for Hoak after the scrimmage today.
Yes, there was. It's still early in the process, but Hoak is a better player than some people might think, and he could become our September starter. My guess is that there will be significant improvement this year by our offensive line and a breakout season by Bowden, Richardson, Epps, Ali. If so, then we need an accurate quarterback who won't make mistakes. Not a "system quarterback" exactly, but a smart quarterback who executes and makes throws. That might be Hoak.

Hoak seems a quiet leader. The kid appears humble before the media. He clearly does not expect it to be handed to him. Work and leadership will end this competition. Hopefully, both Wilson and Hoak will continue this process into the summer. If so, the fall camp will be promising. I think Stoops is going to be proven correct when he says he expects us to be better at QB this year. That should encourage the fans.

Hoak seems a quiet leader. The kid appears humble before the media. He clearly does not expect it to be handed to him. Work and leadership will end this competition. Hopefully, both Wilson and Hoak will continue this process into the summer. If so, the fall camp will be promising. I think Stoops is going to be proven correct when he says he expects us to be better at QB this year. That should encourage the fans.
I hope you're right, but WHY do you think it ?? Do you have basis, or is it just wishful thinking, fan optimism and gut feel ??

I get what you are saying. Hoak can be fundamentally sound, but Wilson may have a higher ceiling. To my way of thinking, the real question is which quarterback can make 1st downs in this offense without turning the ball over. The mark of a successful offense is consistent execution. Limit turnovers. Convert 3rd downs. Move the chains and control the clock. Get to the red zone and be efficient when you get there. We don’t need our quarterback to be superman. We need our quarterback to run a balanced offense and make good decisions with the football. And we need our offensive line to step up and play like they played in 2016.
What all good teams have is a QB that can make winning plays. Plays in critical moments that ultimately determine a game. Late-game, crucial plays. Johnson had the ability to do that. Hopefully, whoever our quarterback is, he can do this. If not, we will have a disappointing season.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS
What all good teams have is a QB that can make winning plays. Plays in critical moments that ultimately determine a game. Late-game, crucial plays. Johnson had the ability to do that. Hopefully, whoever our quarterback is, he can do this. If not, we will have a disappointing season.
agree,,, I think the "it" factor is more important than a cannon!

Reactions: RV2 and megablue
then what does hold merit for determining the starter? Most practices the QB can't be hit so when there is no incumbent what do the coaches use to determine the starter?

Practices have exotic blitzes and packages and the team goes uptempo with most of the playbook at disposal.

Spring game is very vanilla on both sides. I’d almost guarantee they go harder in the scrimmages than they will in the spring game

Practices have exotic blitzes and packages and the team goes uptempo with most of the playbook at disposal.

Spring game is very vanilla on both sides. I’d almost guarantee they go harder in the scrimmages than they will in the spring game
ok, I think I misread your post,, I took it to mean you were talking about spring scrimmages not the Blue/White game. I agree with you.

Smitty was a below average sec qb with freakish intangibles. He made clutch plays but lacked efficiency as far as consistently moving the chains. I think Hoak and Terry are better qb prospects we will see if they can be clutch as well. The thing that gets lost is Smitty inability to put points on the board early in games. With more efficient qb play some of last years games would not have been in doubt.

We disagree. It isn’t a big deal.

Last edited:
Smitty was a below average sec qb with freakish intangibles. He made clutch plays but lacked efficiency as far as consistently moving the chains. I think Hoak and Terry are better qb prospects we will see if they can be clutch as well. The thing that gets lost is Smitty inability to put points on the board early in games. With more efficient qb play some of last years games would not have been in doubt.
I think this is possible but remains to be seen,we got a lot of mileage out of Smitty(sure glad we didn't send him back where he came from)

Hoak getting 0 snaps last season over a now gone Barker seems dumb as hell right about now. If one or both of our QB's come thru we have a chance to be better than we were last year.

Hoak and Wilson are both capable of making winning plays. They may make them in different ways at times, but they both have arm talent. But successful teams avoid making losing plays. Mistakes are drive killers. I think our starting quarterback will be the guy who manages the offense with effective leadership and with a minimum number of mistakes.

Last edited:
Hoak/Wilson/Clark have sharp learning curves, that's the nature of college football. How quickly they learn and adapt, if at all, will go a long way determining the outcome of UK's season.

Hoak/Wilson/Clark have sharp learning curves, that's the nature of college football. How quickly they learn and adapt, if at all, will go a long way determining the outcome of UK's season.
That’s definitely true. But the learning curve should be climbed at a faster pace once Darin Hinshaw focuses on a quarterback and spoon feeds him full time. I believe 1 of these quarterbacks will get the job done. I’m just not sure which 1 it will be.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT