ADVERTISEMENT

Terrence Shannon

If he is found guilty of rape will Illinois have to vacate all the games he played in?
No. Rape is not an NCAA violation. Neither is murder. But if he's given a hamburger without it being part of an NIL deal, Illinois is toast.

Reactions: Fox2monk
No. Rape is not an NCAA violation. Neither is murder. But if he's given a hamburger without it being part of an NIL deal, Illinois is toast.
Why? The University did not want him to play. I believe UI originally suspended him for the season.

He’s only playing because he sued his own school and got a judge to grant a preliminary injunction effectively forcing UI to make him eligible. Hardly seems fair to crack down on the school for what the courts ordered them to do.

It’s quite a weird situation. And one that could be made quite a bit weirder if he ends up being a big NCAA tournament hero.

Why? The University did not want him to play. I believe UI originally suspended him for the season.

He’s only playing because he sued his own school and got a judge to grant a preliminary injunction effectively forcing UI to make him eligible. Hardly seems fair to crack down on the school for what the courts ordered them to do.

It’s quite a weird situation. And one that could be made quite a bit weirder if he ends up being a big NCAA tournament hero.
I think maybe you misinterpreted my post. I wasn't trying to make any serious point about whether Shannon should play or not, nor suggesting Illinois should be punished for playing him. Just being a little flippant.

Reactions: UK90
I think maybe you misinterpreted my post. I wasn't trying to make any serious point about whether Shannon should play or not, nor suggesting Illinois should be punished for playing him. Just being a little flippant.
Fair enough. But I think you were suggesting that the NCAA would be looking for any little excuse to punish UI over this. Which hardly seems fair given the reason that he’s playing.

But, hey, since when has the NCAA ever worried about fairness…

Reactions: G-PIP
Fair enough. But I think you were suggesting that the NCAA would be looking for any little excuse to punish UI over this. Which hardly seems fair given the reason that he’s playing.

But, hey, since when has the NCAA ever worried about fairness…
Illinois certainly couldn't be punished for playing Shannon after a court ordered it - which I assume was due to IL being a state actor (because a private institution probably could have suspended him or kicked him off the team altogether based solely on him being charged or even just based on allegations). And I know nothing about the factual allegations against Shannon, so again I wasn't commenting on whether I thought IL should or should not play Shannon. It was more of a gouge at the NCAA wholly unrelated to Shannon.

Reactions: UK90
So you’re cool with a rapist on the team. Good to know where your morals are
Jfcats22: basketball expert, law expert, talent scout. Is there anything you aren’t knowledgeable about? I heard that many nba teams are considering your advice about Reed Shepherd from the game threads this season before they decide if they wanna draft him with a lottery pick.

Are you a child? That’s an honest question, you’ve seriously got the reasoning ability of a child and an attitude of a teen. I only ask because you’re supposed to be 18 to sign up and it just occurred to me I might be dealing with a kid. I’d rather not slam a kid around it’s an honest question.

Listen bud. Had he been at UK that might never had happened. And if Cal had taken him, he would have been on campus practicing and not at that location and it might never have happened. Don’t preach to me about morals dumb ass. You don’t know me or anything about me. Keep your stupid comments to yourself.

It’s enough to be pissed at Calipari about. No need to make up stuff. Edwards was in high school when Shannon committed to Illinois.
Am I thinking of the wrong guy? I thought this was the kid that played at San Diego State last year. My bad if I mixed up the guys.

The charge is: while at a bar he put his hand up a gal’s skirt and fingered her. Obv if true, there should be a criminal charge of sorts against him. Everyone should agree.

But is that really “rape”? I have a very diff concept of what rape is I guess. Maybe I’m middle aged and think “rape” is intercourse. Maybe society became enlightened beyond my abilities

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT