ADVERTISEMENT

Tennessee is adding a 10% fee on football game tickets next season to pay players

Why don't the schools pay the players? They are the ones making the money
I've always been under the impression that the college athletic departments are separate from the college budget, but can be wrong. I thought there were similar to booster clubs for high school sports, bands and other extra-curricular activities.

That would require paycuts for ads and ending do nothing jobs for all their pals.

Theyd much rather make you and I pay for it.
Totally agree...

I know the rules were different in 2021 vs. 2024. But I'm still miffed that UK had to vacate all those wins due to 4 players getting no show jobs. What goofy ruling to push on UK when this is openly the norm just 1-2 years later (and teams have been paying players left and right with cars, under the table money, jobs for their family, etc... at Bama, UGA, etc...)

Why Mitch bent over to allow this was just foolish to punish UK in this NIL environment. There were a million ideas he could have made up that would have averted UK having to vacate wins.

Reactions: mrschwump
I'm laughing at everyone who said the players were going to be getting their share of money from TV rights, ncaa ect. Lol. Those places aren't giving a dime to the players. It's all going to come from the fans one way or another.

Reactions: gojvc
I've always been under the impression that the college athletic departments are separate from the college budget, but can be wrong. I thought there were similar to booster clubs for high school sports, bands and other extra-curricular activities.
Athletic departments are a part of the university budget. Even further, a vast majority of athletic departments depend on student fees, state allocations and general funds from the university to operate.

Guys it is going to worse, as one poster mentioned the women will want equal amount as the men. What about the rifle team, golf team , volleyball teams and the other team sports ?
It only gets worse for you if you’re willing to pay it. You can opt out.

Big Orange Mafia, the propaganda arm of the TN athletic dept, has done a solid job keeping a lid on a higher tuition charge and additional tax on fans to pay players. Quick trip thru their local print/TV media shows nary a story on these money grabs. In Lexington these sticky finger stories would garner banner headlines.

• Haha
Reactions: Orange_N_White
Big Orange Mafia, the propaganda arm of the TN athletic dept, has done a solid job keeping a lid on a higher tuition charge and additional tax on fans to pay players. Quick trip thru their local print/TV media shows nary a story on these money grabs. In Lexington these sticky finger stories would garner banner headlines.

$100 more for a season ticket. if you bought season tickets, would you give an extra $100 for a better season and chance at 10 wins or playoff spot?

So I’m clear on tuition, Kentucky hasn’t raised tuition ? (Careful, it’s a trap)

Education side is just as greedy as sports…that money stays in that lane

Folks quit your caterwauling! Christ it’s like nobody has ever heard of capitalism, industry, economics!

College athletics are about to take on an expense they’ve never had on the books before, the hell you want them to do eat it?

Lot folks on here from all sorts of industries I’m sure that don’t hesitate to raise prices to keep up with, and preferably surpass by a significant margin, costs.

I know there are mechanics on here…cost me $225 to just pop the hood and listen to a noise!

I know there’s electricians on here popping people to run to Home Depot buy a bulb and screw it in!

Healthcare industry folks…how much does an IV bag and stitches go for right now? Couple Gs…

Retail, cable/internet/utilities…and on and on…everyone is getting theirs…

So let’s all quit acting like University Athletics are some how supposed eat costs and not pass on to their consumers.

I thought Trev Alberts (Nebraska AD) nailed it when he said, "“We don’t have a revenue problem in college sports, we have a spending problem”.
He’s right about that. I hadn’t heard that specific quote from him, but it would make sense he’d say that given his actions.

One of his first acts as the new AD at Texas A&M earlier this year was to start laying off staff members in preparation for sharing revenue with student athletes.

Reactions: Tskware
Folks quit your caterwauling! Christ it’s like nobody has ever heard of capitalism, industry, economics!

College athletics are about to take on an expense they’ve never had on the books before, the hell you want them to do eat it?

Lot folks on here from all sorts of industries I’m sure that don’t hesitate to raise prices to keep up with, and preferably surpass by a significant margin, costs.

I know there are mechanics on here…cost me $225 to just pop the hood and listen to a noise!

I know there’s electricians on here popping people to run to Home Depot buy a bulb and screw it in!

Healthcare industry folks…how much does an IV bag and stitches go for right now? Couple Gs…

So let’s all quit acting like University Athletics are some how supposed eat costs and not pass on to their consumers.
Capitalism? Try greed. People get soaked so much it's second nature now.

This deal only floats as far as the fans are willing to paddle it with their pocketbooks.

Keep raising ticket prices to chase ever increasing demands and expectations of players… ticket sales will dwindle. Folks will decide they’re happy to watch on TV.

Next comes pay per view to keep feeding the beast. Fans will decide how much it’s worth to them. Overreach on that and fans will find something else to do with their time and money.

In the end it will balance itself out, or implode. These “student athletes” (hahaha) must ultimately realize, at the end of the day, they are entertainment for the fans, and are now expected to perform for the paying customers. They may not want to piss of their customers.

This deal only floats as far as the fans are willing to paddle it with their pocketbooks.

Keep raising ticket prices to chase ever increasing demands and expectations of players… ticket sales will dwindle. Folks will decide they’re happy to watch on TV.

Next comes pay per view to keep feeding the beast. Fans will decide how much it’s worth to them. Overreach on that and fans will find something else to do with their time and money.

In the end it will balance itself out, or implode. These “student athletes” (hahaha) must ultimately realize, at the end of the day, they are entertainment for the fans, and are now expected to perform for the paying customers. They may not want to piss of their customers.
You nailed it....people will balk at this at first and then decide if it's worth the extra money.

Do you know the difference in all those things you listed and sports?

You nailed it....people will balk at this at first and then decide if it's worth the extra money.
People do have a limited supply of money. Even if they want to throw that money UKs way, people being spread so thin these days with higher prices everywhere else will not allow them to. And I fear prices everywhere else aren’t going down for quite some time if ever.

Reactions: UKortho
Let me ask a question.
I would bet 95% of college Presidents and Athletic Directors hate NIL and are in favor of eliminating or modifying it.

Couldn’t they get together and draft a charter with voluntary stipulations and regulations that governs nil etc- and start a new NCAA? Similar to a country club or social club where if you voluntarily join you agree to the regulations.

Negotiate tv contracts etc. If 90% plus of schools agree then the players who want to attend college would be subject to the agreed upon supplements.

In other words, start over with a new voluntary organization and get rid of all these headaches and pay for play. I bet almost every school President would voluntarily join.

Frankly at this point the NBA and NFL ought to be paying fees to help Universities in NIL for being a farm teams. The stupid age 19 rule for the NBA needs to go.
Some of those administrators would like to get rid of sports.

As long as fans keep paying for it schools will keep asking for more money. When the arenas and stadiums are empty for sporting events then they will stop.

So what? At least UT is being transparent. How often in recent years have AD's been jacking up ticket costs with no explanation? Just, this is what is cost now, deal with it. At least UT is telling you the reason why? Didn't UK just jack up the prices of basketball tickets? Did the UK AD explain the reason why?

From the article:

Tennessee has announced a price hike for football tickets starting in 2025 with most of the increase going specifically to help pay players.

The increase announced Tuesday morning in an email to season-ticket holders notes a new 10% talent fee for all invoices to “help fund the proposed revenue share” for athletes and help Tennessee attract and keep the best talent. A video link features athletic director Danny White explaining the reason for the price hike per seat across Neyland Stadium.

“As the collegiate model changes, we have to remain flexible,” White said of the price hike, which includes a 4.5% increase on top of the 10% talent fee. “We have to continue leading the way. That connection between resources and competitiveness has never been tighter. Only now we have the ability to share these resources with our athletes. We can generate revenue that will go directly to our players. This will give our teams the best chance to be successful and bring championships home to Rocky Top.”
They xant to win.

You can't realistically govern it with gentlemen's agreements to not going back to the days of paying players under the table. If you have accepted rules, then schools will still break them to gain a competitive advantage.
SECMotto. If you aint cheating you aint trÿing

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT