ADVERTISEMENT

Tennessee is adding a 10% fee on football game tickets next season to pay players

Perrin75

Junior
Aug 9, 2001
From the article:

Tennessee has announced a price hike for football tickets starting in 2025 with most of the increase going specifically to help pay players.

The increase announced Tuesday morning in an email to season-ticket holders notes a new 10% talent fee for all invoices to “help fund the proposed revenue share” for athletes and help Tennessee attract and keep the best talent. A video link features athletic director Danny White explaining the reason for the price hike per seat across Neyland Stadium.

“As the collegiate model changes, we have to remain flexible,” White said of the price hike, which includes a 4.5% increase on top of the 10% talent fee. “We have to continue leading the way. That connection between resources and competitiveness has never been tighter. Only now we have the ability to share these resources with our athletes. We can generate revenue that will go directly to our players. This will give our teams the best chance to be successful and bring championships home to Rocky Top.”

Yeah pay for pay is illegal but they have a "talent acquisition fee" how the hell can you have a talent acquisition fee if you can't legally aquire talent by paying them?
Seems like a blatant FU to the NCAA I would horse laugh if they grew some balls and went all SMU on them, but it's never going to happen and they know that.

But regardless why is the cost always passed to the fan?
Program takes in millions on top of millions, fans now need to buy the team that they spend a fortune to follow? What if they don't? Will football collapse to mid major or worse talent? Then what happens to the other crap that football money supports? Seems kind of backwards to rely on the fans to pay for the only thing that keeps the place running just about.

Even if it's just a few dollars added to a ticket thier stadium sits 100k+ on every single ticket 2-3-4 dollars will generate alot of NIL $. Plus UT isn't exactly shy about spending the NIL now, couple that with the high flying offense they put out and safe to say they're not going to have many of any recruiting struggles....

I doubt UK would be able to pass this on to season ticket holders. I would cancel my tickets for sure. Leaning that direction as it is. It’s like going to a minor league game that’s (for me), nearly $2000 for 8 games.

I have an injured back- and the seats are too close together, hard to pass people in the aisle, etc. not worth it anymore.

Basketball seats are so much better- yeah, I understand the reason. Guess I am finally turning into my grandfather.

I doubt UK would be able to pass this on to season ticket holders. I would cancel my tickets for sure. Leaning that direction as it is. It’s like going to a minor league game that’s (for me), nearly $2000 for 8 games.

I have an injured back- and the seats are too close together, hard to pass people in the aisle, etc. not worth it anymore.

Basketball seats are so much better- yeah, I understand the reason. Guess I am finally turning into my grandfather.

I’m sure you’ve seen this but I think you will be paying nil money thru your season tickets. Maybe they won’t use the language that Tennessee did, but they are going to look for revenue streams to help offset all these new expenses they will be incurring-direct and indirect from nil related activities.

Reactions: UKortho

I’m sure you’ve seen this but I think you will be paying nil money thru your season tickets. Maybe they won’t use the language that Tennessee did, but they are going to look for revenue streams to help offset all these new expenses they will be incurring-direct and indirect from nil related activities.
Thanks for sharing that. I had heard about it, but didn’t realize the amount. I am probably in the minority, but I’ll reevaluate football and basketball if any of my monies go to players. Football will be cut for sure. Harder to give up basketball tickets though. The basketball tickets went up 5 or 10% this year. I accepted it, but I am right at the limit for the cost versus recent performance. I don’t like these “highest bidder” players, multiple transfers, etc. however, I don’t blame them. I just am wavering in my support.

Everyone clamoring for players to be paid for years are going to get a reality check. Simple economics all increases of cost to producer are passed down to the consumer ALWAYS. Tickets are going up,no way around it

Everyone clamoring for players to be paid for years are going to get a reality check. Simple economics all increases of cost to producer are passed down to the consumer ALWAYS. Tickets are going up,no way around it
Not even mentioning sky rocket tuition rates. Huge jumps in tickets and tuition rates are forcing TN fans to shop at Dollar General stores and buying inferior meth. But hey, GBO...fans are giddy, they won another game!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT