ADVERTISEMENT

Team walks out of practice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously UK FB is the most important team for us, but others have cancelled practice:

Boston College, South Florida cancel football practice for social injustice discussion

The article doesn't elaborate as to whether the coaches proactively cancelled the practices or it was a reaction to the players not wanting to practice.

Reactions: YaketySax
I don't see why this is a big deal at this stage...

1) at this point it's merely symbolic - only one practice
2) if anything, it'll bring the team closer together - help win games this year
3) it can only help recruiting - help win more games in the future

If it goes on longer and they miss practice that would be bad. If fans overreact to this and get in their Twitter mentions it'll backfire.

politics aside...its just one practice missed 4 weeks ago from the game when the team likely wasn't focused anyhow. The walkout doesn't solve anything on the surface but maybe it inspires some of the guys to get more involved in the communities and make an impact (many already are). Find somewhere to make an impact and a difference and not direct it to a place thats a waste of time and misguided.

If it goes on longer and they miss practice that would be bad. If fans overreact to this and get in their Twitter mentions it'll backfire.
Agree with your points and I'd be surprised if the coaches didn't support them. Also they have so many days to get in their practices, they'll just move this one to another date.

Reactions: YaketySax
Again, it’s not just missing one practice. It’s bringing politics into college sports. Most of us just want something that we can do without all the negative bs. But that’s just me...
But you aren't really doing practice with the team. Other than the media reporting on it, fans wouldn't even know about this happening.

Do you see the ratings for pro sports right now? No one wants that to happen at UK. Loss of revenue, attendance, tv viewership etc. this is where it’s all heading. Just like the pros. Everyone is sick of the political bs.

If you ignore lawful orders from officers of the law and then walk toward your car to get a weapon, you get shot. White black brown red or yellow. What exactly is being protested about this latest case? The right to ignore authority and go get a gun or knife out of your car and kill the cop? According to BLM chants I’ve heard, that actually could be it.

Play ball or don’t. It’s America. It’s your right. It’s also our right to watch games for 4hrs on Saturdays or to chose to spend time with our families etc which we probably should’ve been doing all along.

So what's the frontfire?

I've never heard a coach in any sport say that one practice doesn't matter. If it didn't, why have so many?

Do you see the ratings for pro sports right now? No one wants that to happen at UK. Loss of revenue, attendance, tv viewership etc. this is where it’s all heading. Just like the pros. Everyone is sick of the political bs.

If you ignore lawful orders from officers of the law and then walk toward your car to get a weapon, you get shot. White black brown red or yellow. What exactly is being protested about this latest case? The right to ignore authority and go get a gun or knife out of your car and kill the cop? According to BLM chants I’ve heard, that actually could be it.

Play ball or don’t. It’s America. It’s your right. It’s also our right to watch games for 4hrs on Saturdays or to chose to spend time with our families etc which we probably should’ve been doing all along.
Amen Brother!!!! When an officer of the law tells you to stop, put your hands behind your head, or get on the ground DO IT !! No one is above the law! White, Black, Red, Yellow!!! These officers get scared when a perp does not obey their commands....they have a family they're trying to get home to as well!!!

Not following orders doesn't come with a death sentence or right to be shot, particularly 7 times in the back.

There were multiple officers on scene and they weren't able to restrain 1 guy? The couldn’t keep trying to taze him, use mace, a baton, k9 unit or so forth? If they were so concerned about him going to his car, why not shoot him in the leg as he is actively walking towards the car? Why the need to shoot him in the back at point range 7 times in his vehicle, while his kids are in the vehicle? What is the worst case scenario of he leaves? You already have all the info you need to detain him later if it's warranted. Last time I checked, trespassing isn't considered a violent crime.

Amen Brother!!!! When an officer of the law tells you to stop, put your hands behind your head, or get on the ground DO IT !! No one is above the law! White, Black, Red, Yellow!!! These officers get scared when a perp does not obey their commands....they have a family they're trying to get home to as well!!!
If the officers get scared because someone doesn't listen, they need to find a new career.

Not following orders doesn't come with a death sentence or right to be shot, particularly 7 times in the back.

There were multiple officers on scene and they weren't able to restrain 1 guy? The couldn’t keep trying to taze him, use mace, a baton, k9 unit or so forth? If they were so concerned about him going to his car, why not shoot him in the leg as he is actively walking towards the car? Why the need to shoot him in the back at point range 7 times in his vehicle, while his kids are in the vehicle? What is the worst case scenario of he leaves? You already have all the info you need to detain him later if it's warranted. Last time I checked, trespassing isn't considered a violent crime.
And I am sure we have the entire story from the lying fake news media!

If this is considered the baseline for discussion there will never be any progress in this arena.

If the officers get scared because someone doesn't listen, they need to find a new career.
That's beyond ridiculous. No job pays a person enough that they don't get scared or nervous when someone resists arrest. To expect that from people is a just a laughable standard of behavior. These are people just like you and me. They want to do their job and go home safely to their families at the end of the day. Generally, everyone would go home safely at the end of the day if suspects would obey what officers tell them to do.

That's beyond ridiculous. No job pays a person enough that they don't get scared or nervous when someone resists arrest. To expect that from people is a just a laughable standard of behavior. These are people just like you and me. They want to do their job and go home safely to their families at the end of the day. Generally, everyone would go home safely at the end of the day if suspects would obey what officers tell them to do.
That is utterly ridiculous. I don't care if they are volunteer or paid 100k. If they are scared simply because someone resist or doesn't listen, you are in the wrong career field. Most people resist arrest, it's a natural emotion. Most drunk people, particularly college kids resist arrest. Aften times they are overcome with fear and panic, or have just been through a tragic ordeal. Just having license to shoot or kill those people is void of any logic.

How about just don’t resist arrest? Pretty easy actually. The pic I saw he had a knife in his hand and now I’m hearing another weapon in the floorboard of the car. ?? This can be debated in the political thread and I’ll try to keep this about football the best I can. I think that before teams make these “statements” they should allow the case to unfold. Maybe it’s not a matter of a racist cop after all? Maybe it is. But being judge juror and executioner before all the evidence is out is irresponsible and exactly what happened in the Michael Brown case and lives, businesses and race relations were overwhelmingly damaged because of it.

If you don't want to watch games anymore then that's cool. We can't have the ratings conversation about football until after the season. I'm interested to see what happens!

It's a different sport, but NASCAR's went up after supporting Bubba Watson in June.

That is utterly ridiculous. I don't care if they are volunteer or paid 100k. If they are scared simply because someone resist or doesn't listen, you are in the wrong career field. Most people resist arrest, it's a natural emotion. Most drunk people, particularly college kids resist arrest. Aften times they are overcome with fear and panic, or have just been through a tragic ordeal. Just having license to shoot or kill those people is void of any logic.
Maybe where you come from, but not where I come from. The vast majority of people around here do not resist arrest. If that is the norm where you are from in Mass, maybe you all have a cultural problem that is creating additional issues when people are arrested.

Agree with your points and I'd be surprised if the coaches didn't support them. Also they have so many days to get in their practices, they'll just move this one to another date.

Gran said the other day they got the offense installed quicker than they ever have. Maybe they are ahead of schedule haha

Reactions: ukgrad2004
I miss the days when Americans didn’t all hate each other....it wasn’t perfect, but our country is in disarray and is falling apart by the day.

Zero leadership in America right now.
Yep, I remember a time when accidents happened and you didn't have people suing you for everything you own. People are flawed, they make mistakes. You used to be able to just forgive them. Now with social media if someone puts an opinion out there it can't just be discussed. People with opposing views have to rip apart why everything they said was wrong and why they're an idiot because of it and make sure they are put in their place, you know, properly humiliate them.

The world has been gradually getting to be a worse place for years. Enacting a little police reform and making hollow gestures like removing Robert E Lee statues and taking Rupp's name off of the arena aren't going to change the momentum. The world is getting to be shittier place by the day and the people living in it are becoming giant assholes.

Last edited:
How about just don’t resist arrest? Pretty easy actually. The pic I saw he had a knife in his hand and now I’m hearing another weapon in the floorboard of the car. ?? This can be debated in the political thread and I’ll try to keep this about football the best I can. I think that before teams make these “statements” they should allow the case to unfold. Maybe it’s not a matter of a racist cop after all? Maybe it is. But being judge juror and executioner before all the evidence is out is irresponsible and exactly what happened in the Michael Brown case.
People resist, it's part of the job. You don't get to decide to shoot them simply because they don't comply.

The cops and witnesses are saying he was unarmed and his knife was in his car. Originally there were claims of a gun in the car, but that was not accurate. The knife was found on the floor mat of the vehicle.

Lol, the cop was literally attempting to be judge, jury and executioner and you seem fine with that. I am all for letting the facts come out, but being fine with anyone being shot 7 times directly im front of their kids is appalling. Particularly when many other less lethal methods could.be executed.

Do you think the police would have been as justified in shooting the 17 y/o kid with an assault rifle, who shot 3 and killed 2 or nah? Cause they just let him walk on by and go home to his bed.

The reality of the situation is the players are starting to become acutely aware they are the ones with the power. If they don't play, then the athletics departments at these schools will all fold.

Matter of time before we have BLM stenciled on Kroger fied.

Maybe where you come from, but not where I come from. The vast majority of people around here do not resist arrest. If that is the norm where you are from in Mass, maybe you all have a cultural problem that is creating additional issues when people are arrested.
Well, I have lived in several states, particularly college towns, and it is pretty constant. People generally don't like being arrested and tend to resist what they don't like. Particularly intoxicated people and mentally impaired. Where do you live and I will look up the stats in your area?

How about just don’t resist arrest? Pretty easy actually. The pic I saw he had a knife in his hand and now I’m hearing another weapon in the floorboard of the car. ?? This can be debated in the political thread and I’ll try to keep this about football the best I can. I think that before teams make these “statements” they should allow the case to unfold. Maybe it’s not a matter of a racist cop after all? Maybe it is. But being judge juror and executioner before all the evidence is out is irresponsible and exactly what happened in the Michael Brown case and lives, businesses and race relations were overwhelmingly damaged because of it.

What about people sleeping in their apartment? DO they deserve to be shot to death?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT