ADVERTISEMENT

Talent in the Portal

Landing Lanier changes everything from a scheme perspective. For one, he'd be the only guy on the roster who can consistently get his own shot.

You bring in Robinson with him, and now you have two competent players who can score in the half court when the opponent jams the defense and forces UK to make plays through individual shot creating.

Right now, we have a bunch of system guys, but no one who can get a shot with the shot clock winding down to zero.

Landing Lanier changes everything from a scheme perspective. For one, he'd be the only guy on the roster who can consistently get his own shot.

You bring in Robinson with him, and now you have two competent players who can score in the half court when the opponent jams the defense and forces UK to make plays through individual shot creating.

Right now, we have a bunch of system guys, but no one who can get a shot with the shot clock winding down to zero.
I think Chandler is gonna surprise some people.

This.

More important than roster spots, is minutes available.

If you assume the following minute totals (these may not be exact, but are ballpark):
Williams 25, Garrison 15 (that is all the min at the C/5 spot).
Kriisa 20-25, Butler 15-20 (that is all the min at the PG/1 spot).
Which leaves 120 minutes.
Carr 25, Brea 25, Oweh 20-25, Noah & Chandler & Perry 5min each.
Now you are down to 30-35min remaining. And we still need a backup PF/4 to Carr.
I would love to add 2 "star players", but just don't see it happening unless we then lose someone (Oweh or Brea would be my guess). So I think we add a backup PF/4, and 1 "star player" preferably who could play both 3/SF & 2/SG. Right now I only see Oweh as able to guard bigger/stronger 3's.

If you assume the following minute totals (these may not be exact, but are ballpark):
Now you are down to 30-35min remaining. And we still need a backup PF/4 to Carr.
I would love to add 2 "star players", but just don't see it happening unless we then lose someone (Oweh or Brea would be my guess). So I think we add a backup PF/4, and 1 "star player" preferably who could play both 3/SF & 2/SG. Right now I only see Oweh as able to guard bigger/stronger 3's.

This is a great point.

Not enough minutes to go around.

Yes but what the ones panicking can’t seem to grasp yet(not you) is that popes offense is set up to create the looks for this players, it isn’t CALs dribble drive where they have the ball the whole shot clock and just force drives. This offense will have cutting and create the looks. Getting a guy like lanier would be great so you can just some times say go get a bucket, but Kentucky roster as of now isn’t bad and doesn’t need cal guys like some are acting

If they got lanier and Robinson I’m perfectly fine with Krisa playing limited mins. Have your rotation be butler lanier Robinson brea Carr Williams Oweh, garrison, krisa,
Chandler.

If we’re talking about wishful thinking and hopes, of course Lanier is 100% our top need and want for me personally. Next, even though he’s probably staying in the draft or going to UNC or anywhere else he wants, would be Coleman Hawkins from Illinois! He’s made it pretty clear he wants to get drafted first round, and also he’s not going back to Illinois. Automatic Final Four favorite in my opinion with those two. I would be calling that guys momma, aunt, cousins and everyone I could to see what it would take to get him in Blue and white. If it’s a no, who cares, on to guys like Toppin, Achor and then Robinson. This is my wishlist only so be easy. Now also, I have no idea what anyone is going to do or if anyone has already committed anywhere as of 4:53 today. lol. Love adding Noah and think he’s going to be a great player for us in a year or two of strength and development.

If they got lanier and Robinson I’m perfectly fine with Krisa playing limited mins. Have your rotation be butler lanier Robinson brea Carr Williams Oweh, garrison, krisa,
Chandler.
If it makes a player with lesser talent upset, oh well. If you can improve that position along with the dynamic of the entire team, you bring in that player.

I think Chandler is gonna surprise some people.
Maybe, but if we've learned anything from the recent Calipari era, it's that you can't count on guy who "might" surprise some people. Boston, Livingson, Collins, Whitney, Clarke (RIP and much respect to him), Montgomery, Edwards, Wagner, and Bradshaw were not only guys who "might" surprise some people, but were expected to help carry the team. I'm done with trying to guess who good a freshman will be.

Give me proven guys as my first and second scoring options. If a freshman can become that third guy, fine; but I'd prefer not to count on it, especially for a kid who's been on a foreign mission for two years.

Tennessee fans are extremely confident they are getting lanier again. I don’t know if that really means anything, but they are being overly confident again

So I think we add a backup PF/4, and 1 "star player" preferably who could play both 3/SF & 2/SG. Right now I only see Oweh as able to guard bigger/stronger 3's.
I agree that it looks like UK really needs at least 15 minutes or more of help at PF. And that's assuming Carr is never out a game for any reason. I don't want to see Garrison have to be pigeonholed into the PF spot. That's not good for the offense.

As for guarding the SF spot, Brea has the size to handle college SFs; but does he have the defensive chops to do it? I don't know anything about that. I'm too lazy to go back and watch Dayton games to make a guess. Have you garnered any information on Brea's defensive ability (or lack thereof)?

I don’t think this will happen and I’m really excited about the guys we have. But If that’s how we end it I’m all in, I’d sure be happier to have a great scoring guard to drive to the basket, draw fouls and wants the last shot type guy. Lanier fits that well in my opinion. He’s not the only one but he’s tough. Would also like another four, one that’s more of a go get it inside guy who doesn’t care about the three and wants to get every rebound, loose ball guy. A power player type. Anyway, there several we’re in on and I’m sure we’ll get one or two. Poplar may be the guy, Robinson, who knows.

Last edited:
Maybe, but if we've learned anything from the recent Calipari era, it's that you can't count on guy who "might" surprise some people. Boston, Livingson, Collins, Whitney, Clarke (RIP and much respect to him), Montgomery, Edwards, Wagner, and Bradshaw were not only guys who "might" surprise some people, but were expected to help carry the team. I'm done with trying to guess who good a freshman will be.

Give me proven guys as my first and second scoring options. If a freshman can become that third guy, fine; but I'd prefer not to count on it, especially for a kid who's been on a foreign mission for two years.
It does seem as if we have a “surprise” player every season. I think it’s just the law of averages, someone on any 12-13 man roster is going to be better than projected.
My money is on Oweh, he’s the surprise guy. All-SEC caliber surprise guy

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
It does seem as if we have a “surprise” player every season. I think it’s just the law of averages, someone on any 12-13 man roster is going to be better than projected.
My money is on Oweh, he’s the surprise guy. All-SEC caliber surprise guy
I love him brother. I wanted Cal to offer him so bad after watching him lead team Final a couple years ago. He was the heart and soul of that team and was the best player on the team in my opinion. He’s a fighter and will dive for every ball, go after every rebound, steal a lot of passes and pressure the other team to death. He can shoot good enough and is a great athlete as well. He’s going to be really good here and I’m very glad he made it where he should’ve in the first place. He’s got that chip on his shoulder and will work his butt off every day to get better. Awesome get as far as I’m concerned. Most our guys have had to take the long way here and now it’s on. Can’t wait. Damn I’m ready to toss it up! Ha.

Oh, I 100% agree. I'm just saying, I think he's the freshman on this year's team who could be that dude. Two years older than the other freshman and looks to be a three level scorer. He's who I'm most excited about (of our freshmen).

Reactions: Son_Of_Saul
I agree that it looks like UK really needs at least 15 minutes or more of help at PF. And that's assuming Carr is never out a game for any reason. I don't want to see Garrison have to be pigeonholed into the PF spot. That's not good for the offense.

As for guarding the SF spot, Brea has the size to handle college SFs; but does he have the defensive chops to do it? I don't know anything about that. I'm too lazy to go back and watch Dayton games to make a guess. Have you garnered any information on Brea's defensive ability (or lack thereof)?
Doubt Carr is out much, Pope said he was born to be play in this offense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT