ADVERTISEMENT

T.J. Otzelberger

sosoblue

Senior
Aug 18, 2004
Any thoughts on Iowa State head coach? Do you think he could be a good fit or another BCG?

"This season, Otz led the Cyclones to a Big 12 Tournament Championship with a dominant win over No. 1 Houston and took them to a Sweet 16 before they fell to Illinois.

As a legitimate program builder, the thought of giving Otzelberger the resources that Kentucky could offer is terrifying, but one thing could actually keep that from being a reality: His buyout."

I’d have him at around 15th on my list, right after Shaka Smart. I like what he’s done at Iowa State, but it wouldn’t be a home run hire by any means. More like a sliding double.

Reactions: UKat1 and Fox2monk
Nothing good comes out of Iowa except...

Wait a minute...wrong state. My bad.

He'll be a good candidate to fill the job of whatever coach Kentucky poaches, unless it is Wright or Donovan.
I just listened to a few youtube clips about the direction of the Chicago Bulls, I don't keep up with that at all but it seems all fans want Billy gone asap. They can't stand him, although, a lot were saying he is a great college coach and that he needs to return to that arena if he plans on coaching in the future

Reactions: Fox2monk
He needs to prove more. He's definitely someone to keep an eye on. I don't think he has a lot of the personal problems BCG had though.

Reactions: Fox2monk
It will be interesting to see who gets hired. I'm hoping it's someone nobody has mentioned. A Div II or Div III up-and-comer in his late 20s or early 30s. I have nobody in mind or even if a coach like that exists. A charismatic young coach from nowhere sounds like a Hallmark Movie plot rather than a possibility. But the old war horses and one-foot-from-retirement types being bandied about sound boring.

I would prefer someone with a better sounding last name. I wouldn't mind hiring an Oats. I also wouldn't mind a Berger if it was the right guy. But do we really want an Otzelberger?

Any thoughts on Iowa State head coach? Do you think he could be a good fit or another BCG?

"This season, Otz led the Cyclones to a Big 12 Tournament Championship with a dominant win over No. 1 Houston and took them to a Sweet 16 before they fell to Illinois.

As a legitimate program builder, the thought of giving Otzelberger the resources that Kentucky could offer is terrifying, but one thing could actually keep that from being a reality: His buyout."

I think he would be a good hire personally.

What he’s done at Iowa State is nothing short of remarkable in terms of quickly building a legit contender out of a situation that was pretty much rock bottom when he got there. I don’t think his style of play (which is basically to make everything a rock fight for those of you who haven’t watched Iowa State this year) would win many supporters among our fans though. We’d tolerate it if every year was as good as he was this year, but the discontent would grow quickly if he had a rebuilding year while playing ugly games routinely.

It will be interesting to see who gets hired. I'm hoping it's someone nobody has mentioned. A Div II or Div III up-and-comer in his late 20s or early 30s. I have nobody in mind or even if a coach like that exists. A charismatic young coach from nowhere sounds like a Hallmark Movie plot rather than a possibility. But the old war horses and one-foot-from-retirement types being bandied about sound boring.
Golden of Florida is my choice

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT