ADVERTISEMENT

Sumo

He ran hard broke a lot of tackles isn’t a burner but is shifty in the hole. Thought he was wearing down Georgia’s D and we could have given him a few more touches. He reminds me very much of Emmitt Smith
Wilcox was running well also and made a good little 1-2 punch in the second half to help keep Sumo fresh. If we can get Chip and Patterson back soon, RB should be strong. Maybe Gran can help cook up a scheme to maximize that like he did with Bowden.

Not only did he run well, he made a couple of blocks that saved our bacon. Without those, this game would've been no contest.
Great comments....jhe's our best runner and blocker back there...and has best hands (if we had an OC that could get him in the gameplan).

Isn't Demi our best offensive player thus far? Is it even questionable? Heck, I'd argue he is running with Walker and Dumas Johnson for best player on the team.

Great comments....jhe's our best runner and blocker back there...and has best hands (if we had an OC that could get him in the gameplan).

Isn't Demi our best offensive player thus far? Is it even questionable? Heck, I'd argue he is running with Walker and Dumas Johnson for best player on the team.
Zion Childress has to be mentioned in the conversation.

Question, Could it be possible to go with more two back sets when Chip Trayanum returns and maybe use Trayanum more as a blocking back or in a Fullback type roll to help block protect BV a bit more or pick up some of those guys the linemen let waltz by them?

Both backs ran the ball well and didn't put it on the ground. The running game still seems to be what this team will ultimately rely on to go where we want them to be by the end of the year.

The kid had awesome hands. And we only threw to him once out of the backfield for an 11 yard gain. Throwing to the RB is a great way to disable a 6 man rush. Yet, we did it once.
Is this a matter of call, or failure to check down more often? I'm not sure I have a good sense of how BVG is doing going to his hot read.

Stated before the season started in a thread about questions at RB. I said a lot of people where not giving Sumo enough credit. He looked very good in limited action last year, and has come out and shown he is legit thru 3 games this year. Future is very bright for Sumo. I think even when Chip returns, Sumo will maintain his place and continue to get a big workload. He has earned it, Chip hasn't proved he can produce, just like BVG.

Last year Sumo had 20 carries for 139 yards (7 ypc) 1 TD and 14 receptions for 69 yards and 1 TD backing up the workhorse Davis. He was #4 in pecking order and thought he was better than both McClain and Jefferson and maybe deserved more touches than he got.

This year so far, he had 8 carries for 59 yards and 1 TD in a half game v/s S. Miss, 17 carries for 70 yards against SC. and 22 for 98 against Georgia. He is very consistent. 48 rushes, 227 yards and 1 TD. he, Wilcox and Patterson all 3 have been good. I honestly feel Trayanum will have a very limited lease to prove he deserves the RB1 spot. Sumo has proved his worth.

Last edited:
Would have loved to see him get the ball on 2nd and 7 on that last drive, 3rd and 3 or 4 gives you more options than 3rd and 7. Heck of a runner and slippery, bigger than what he looks apparently.

Both Wilcox and Patterson have looked good in limited action.
Anybody figure out what Patterson's injury was and if he's going to miss extended time? Feel like we're going to need him and Chip to create a four headed monster if our passing game doesn't improve.

Both backs ran the ball well and didn't put it on the ground. The running game still seems to be what this team will ultimately rely on to go where we want them to be by the end of the year.
I think Sumo put one on the ground at one point but we immediately recovered it.

Stated before the season started in a thread about questions at RB. I said a lot of people where not giving Sumo enough credit. He looked very good in limited action last year, and has come out and shown he is legit thru 3 games this year. Future is very bright for Sumo. I think even when Chip returns, Sumo will maintain his place and continue to get a big workload. He has earned it, Chip hasn't proved he can produce, just like BVG.

Last year Sumo had 20 carries for 139 yards (7 ypc) 1 TD and 14 receptions for 69 yards and 1 TD backing up the workhorse Davis. He was #4 in pecking order and thought he was better than both McClain and Jefferson and maybe deserved more touches than he got.

This year so far, he had 8 carries for 59 yards and 1 TD in a half game v/s S. Miss, 17 carries for 70 yards against SC. and 22 for 98 against Georgia. He is very consistent. 48 rushes, 227 yards and 1 TD. he, Wilcox and Patterson all 3 have been good. I honestly feel Trayanum will have a very limited lease to prove he deserves the RB1 spot. Sumo has proved his worth.
I feel like one of them is due to break a long one against Ohio this week.

I feel like one of them is due to break a long one against Ohio this week.
Agree. If not against them, when will they, LOL. It has to be a "get right" game, Ohio U is NOT a good football team, no matter what some suggest. They are 2-1, barely besting a Sub-divison Morgan State 21-6, beating a terrible South Alabama team 27-20, and got boatraced against a decent Syracuse team. S. Alabama's only win came against NW State, LOL.

DSK is a tough minded, hard working really good back. Got no issues with him. If OLine continues to get better each game then he will have a great year and with what he had done, Stoops loyalty might just keep him RB1 for the year.

Given the flip flopping on whether Wilcox was ever going to even see the field, I was very impressed with him. Obviously there’s more to being a RB than just carrying the ball. But I liked what I saw

Reactions: K_TIME
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT