ADVERTISEMENT

Suit filed a year after 85-year-old Florida woman killed in alligator attack

I remember one time we were in Florida with the kids. Somehow we learned that there was an alligator at one of our favorite spots. So, I drove the kids out. There they got to hear the sound of an alligator slowly crunching a very large and noisy turtle shell. I assume there had recently been a turtle in it.

Another time we went to visit a park down there. Very interesting. As we were driving away, a gator stood up from where it had been lying and started to chase a family of picnickers. Gators are tall enough when they stand -- fully extend their legs -- so that you can easily see under them to what's on the other side. And they are very fast. Not horse fast, but fast enough for you to be glad of having a big head start to your car.

Gators are everywhere down there. Suing the HOA or whatever would be like suing because a pelican pooped on your car.

Yeah weird you can sure someone because of nature naturing. Who do I sue if a bee stings me and I’m allergic and die? The hotel I was at?

Reactions: warrior-cat
This happened just up the road from us. While people absolutely need to understand that any body of water no matter how small here holds at least 1 gator, if the Spanish Lakes community HOA didn't have warning signs posted and they can prove that their staff had been feeding it, they'll probably win this suit.

This happened just up the road from us. While people absolutely need to understand that any body of water no matter how small here holds at least 1 gator, if the Spanish Lakes community HOA didn't have warning signs posted and they can prove that their staff had been feeding it, they'll probably win this suit.
Eh . . . not so fast. Did she live in the senior community? If so, she should have been aware of the presence of gators, assumption of the risk and all that. However, I will say if the staff had been feeding the gator, which I have seen at least 100 signs not to do so, her family would have a better case. But I am of the view that if you live near water in Florida, you have to be aware at all times.

Just played golf three days this past week in the Bradenton/Sarasota area, and every time I had to play a shot standing near water, I scoped out the area VERY carefully before taking my stance.

wl-main11.jpg

Wondering who will get that reference
Understand Captain America GIF

Remember before VHS, before DVD's, before streaming and digital (and piracy), when you waited for years before a theater movie finally premiered on network TV? That's how us poors got to watch most big-screen movies.
The funny thing is, I remember "Gator" most for the very obvious overdubs of cusswords when it appeared on network TV.

Last edited:
Understand Captain America GIF

Remember before VHS, before DVD's, before streaming and digital (and piracy), when you waited for years before a theater movie finally premiered on network TV? That's how us poors got to watch most big-screen movies.
The funny thing is, I remember "Gator" most for the very obvious overdubs of cusswords when it appeared on network TV.
So, Beta then lol. Hooper and Sharky's Machine were some others by Burt. My Dad would hook two Betamax machines up and play on one and record on the other. Did the same for vhs. We had a huge collection of movies. Good times.

Reactions: CrittendenWildcat
Eh . . . not so fast. Did she live in the senior community? If so, she should have been aware of the presence of gators, assumption of the risk and all that. However, I will say if the staff had been feeding the gator, which I have seen at least 100 signs not to do so, her family would have a better case. But I am of the view that if you live near water in Florida, you have to be aware at all times.

Just played golf three days this past week in the Bradenton/Sarasota area, and every time I had to play a shot standing near water, I scoped out the area VERY carefully before taking my stance.
I'm shocked (and somewhat skeptical) that Spanish Lakes didn't have signs out. When we were looking at places here, I always checked out and asked about the bass fishing in the community pond, and I never saw one that didn't have at least one sign about the danger of alligators and emphatically said not to feed them. If they didn't have a sign and can prove that the staff had been feeding them, they'll probably win their suit.

Our pond has at least 2, the biggest one around 6 ft and they are extremely shy around humans. Still, when I'm fishing, I keep an eye out for them. If we're hiking in a preserve, I take a 7 ft long sturdy walking stick just in case we come across one, and if I'm fishing canals, ponds, or somewhere like the Loxahatchee preserve where they are tons of them, I keep my head on a swivel. I had planned on taking my kayak in the Loxahatchee until a friend said he went there once and would never go back. He said he caught a lot of fish but couldn't enjoy it because there were big gators everywhere. He said they never bothered him, but he couldn't stop thinking what would happen to him if he flipped over. We had been fishing at a park in Belle Glade one day and went out to get some food from Dixie Fried Chicken and came back to the park to eat. There was one who was 10+ ft about 50 ft away who stared at us the entire time, but never offered to come any closer.

'The attorneys said the gator had been seen so often that neighbors had named it "Henry," and said residents and staffers had been feeding it on a regular basis, increasing the risk of an attack."

That is all I needed to read, to find for the defendent, which logically, should have been Henry.

I like how it mentioned that "the dog fled and escaped injury" LOL

• Haha
Reactions: bbonds and chroix
So based on reading this thread people can't safely swim in lakes in Florida?

I'm not a big lake guy here in TN (pools all the way) but damn. That's scary.

Last edited:
'The attorneys said the gator had been seen so often that neighbors had named it "Henry," and said residents and staffers had been feeding it on a regular basis, increasing the risk of an attack."

That is all I needed to read, to find for the defendent, which logically, should have been Henry.

I like how it mentioned that "the dog fled and escaped injury" LOL

Agreed. They are going to be found liable if the facts presented hold up. Also clearly lots of people guilty of commenting without reading the fricking article.

Normally, unless it's a massive python, the alligator is going to get the win.

So based on reading this thread people can't safely swim in lakes in Florida?

I'm not a big lake guy here in TN (pools all the way) but damn. That's scary.
Not just no, but HELL no. South Carolina either, at least near the coast.

Played the Ocean Course one time and the caddy told us several stories about dumbasses and the way they act around gators. One very drunk golfer saw a little one, maybe two feet or so, and thought it would be funny to grab it by its tail and flip it into a pond. The gator whipped around like lighting and tore half his hand off before he could be rescued.

They are dangerous, much faster than they look, and you just have to use common sense, i.e., stay the hell away from them and they won't bother you 99.5% of the time.

Reactions: JDHoss
Played the Ocean Course one time and the caddy told us several stories about dumbasses and the way they act around gators. One very drunk golfer saw a little one, maybe two feet or so, and thought it would be funny to grab it by its tail and flip it into a pond. The gator whipped around like lighting and tore half his hand off before he could be rescued.
There goes the short game...

Reactions: Tskware
Most of them are, but I'll say that Kentucky's lakes, for the most part, are not. I grew up water-skiing on Cumberland, but for just general swimming, nope. Same goes for folks that eat the fish they catch out of them. That goes for all fresh-water fish. I'm not eating them PERIOD.

Remember reading a story a few years ago about a father and son here in kentucky that would wade fish a farm pond. They noticed the fishing was getting worse and worse then they saw a gator rise on the opposite end of the pond. Can't recall if they said it was big or not but still. Obviously it got to big for someones aquarium and they just tossed it in there. To heck with that. Can you imagine their reaction?

Reactions: berniecarbo
You know how the libs are freaking out cause they killed a murderer with Nitrogen? I suggest they just throw these guys into a gator pit.

• Haha
Reactions: bbonds
Remember reading a story a few years ago about a father and son here in kentucky that would wade fish a farm pond. They noticed the fishing was getting worse and worse then they saw a gator rise on the opposite end of the pond. Can't recall if they said it was big or not but still. Obviously it got to big for someones aquarium and they just tossed it in there. To heck with that. Can you imagine their reaction?
Serious question: given how thick an alligators skin is, and just their general "toughness", would one blast from a 12 gauge (00 buckshot) stop a large gator in it's tracks, or would it take more?

Serious question: given how thick an alligators skin is, and just their general "toughness", would one blast from a 12 gauge (00 buckshot) stop a large gator in it's tracks, or would it take more?
Watching one of those gator shows a while back I'm pretty sure they were killing them with a 22. Guess it depends on where you shoot them.

No sh*t? I don't doubt a perfect shot with a 22LR could kill an alligator, but that is putting a lot of faith in your marksmanship under pressure, if that thing is charging you.

I know nothing about it, but I did a search. People do kill them with 22 magnum rounds, but one article suggested a little more bang like a 38 plus P. I reckon there is a hard spot on their head where a 22 might just bounce off. Evidently there is a sweet spot target about the size of a baseball.

I dunno about that. If I'm going to die, freezing to death sounds better than getting eaten alive. At least with hypothermia your body eventually, and parodoxically tells you that you're hot, not cold, and then you fall alseep.

I'd rethink that.

What about where it gets so cold you can literally die? Because I was in Kentucky the last two weeks and that was some bullshit ass weather, let me tell you.

I’d rather get eaten by a badass alligator than freeze to death on the side of the road like a hobo.
Also, one bonus to temperatures THAT cold, as a school bus driver, is that I can withhold heat on the bus as punishment/incentive to behave. You KNOW me, and that I'm not above that. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: roguemocha
One year later sounds about right. Gives you time to Grieve and then you realize you are over it and want to profit in some kind of manipulative way.

• Haha
Reactions: HymanKaplan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT